Sealed Boosters and Spanish Complete Sets For Trading!!!!.

Everything else about trading. Specific Magiclibrarities Hero and Legends Permanent Lists and Legends External Links.

Moderators: cataclysm80, Apocalypse2K, berkumps, dragsamou, mystical_tutor, pp, hammr7, l0qii

jesykons
Librarities Hero
Posts: 27
Joined: Mon Mar 07, 2011 1:23 pm
Location: Madrid, España.

Post by jesykons » Thu Dec 20, 2012 4:30 pm

(First of all, sorry for my poor english)

I complete agree with all your opinions.

I think we are (in general) creating a "Last item price paid = item price".

I think that's wrong.


But it depends the point of view.

If you sell a card like "korean lightning Bolt" for 10e, I have 4, I will try to sell them at that price,

It's my gain, and then all people do the same.

"I have a korean 4th edition booster for 60e on mkm"
I do not think a korean booster worth that.

But I will trade it for a korean 5th, does not matter how much do you worth it. I think 5th it's more important to me that the 4th Ko edition.

But if someboy gets one 4th edition will sell it at 40-50-70, with no knoledge about how hard is to get it, He only will check another price.

Nothing new for you, just my opinion.

GlobalBoosterHunter
Legendary Aussie Booster Hunter
Posts: 1209
Joined: Sun Jan 29, 2012 3:38 am
Location: Queensland, Australia

Post by GlobalBoosterHunter » Fri Dec 21, 2012 12:38 am

Your English is fine! Way better than my Spanish. In fact your English is better than Google Translate's English so you have nothing to apologise for!

When there are only a few items available it is hard to tell what the price will be.

In this hobby as in most, the item's price is based on;

Rarity,
Condition,
Desirability.

Most hobbies such as stamp collecting, coin collecting, banknote collecting etc. have catalogues with price ranges which come out each year. Everyone in the hobby buys the same catalogues so everyone has the same idea on prices, and everyone agrees that the prices in the catalogues are way off.

If a booster sells at Auction for $50 and more than two people were bidding then you know there are at least a couple of people who are prepared to pay up to $50 for a booster. You can also be pretty sure that if you list the same booster for less you will have an easy sale and if you list it for much more you will not sell it for a long time.

But there is always someone new to the market who does not know the rarity of an item, doesn't know what it is worth and if they do a quick search and only find one on the market they will assume that it is really rare and they will pay whatever the asking price is.

Something like MKM is good for prices as it can show you a price range, availability of an item and puts you in touch with the seller. Many times I have bought from a seller and asked them what other items they have which they haven't bothered to list.

There are some items which are overpriced in my mind but when I go back to check on them they have been sold, someone thought they were a bargain!

At least with MKM one group can't have too much of a monopoly and can't fix the prices.

GlobalBoosterHunter
Legendary Aussie Booster Hunter
Posts: 1209
Joined: Sun Jan 29, 2012 3:38 am
Location: Queensland, Australia

Post by GlobalBoosterHunter » Fri Dec 21, 2012 12:48 am

Edit to add:

Most modern-coin collectors know how many of each type of coin were minted because the figures are published, Banknote collectors know how many notes are printed and to a certain extent stamp collectors know how rare a stamp is because the catalogues tell them.

I have no idea how many boosters of a certain type are out there, I could see a booster priced at $100 and pass on it thinking it is too expensive and it could be the last one in the world.

I could spend $100 on a Wyvern booster thinking it is the last one in the world and some crazy guy could have a basement full of unopened boxes stacked ceiling high.

I think WotC stopped issuing printing information quite early in the hobby so no one really knows how rare a regular item actually is but at least with cards you have a rough idea on the relative rarity.

With boosters you don't, even if we knew how many boosters had been made and how many had been sold we would have no idea how many were opened and how many are still sealed in boxes.

I have been tracking down boosters for about a year and a bit now, more seriously in the past year. I have not turned down too many of them because of price, though I have passed on a few because of condition. I still have only 71% of all the boosters produced. Is that because I am not looking hard enough, not looking in the right places or because the others just no longer exist?

User avatar
magic-belgium
Librarities Legend
Posts: 1932
Joined: Tue Sep 25, 2007 7:19 am
Location: Belgium

Post by magic-belgium » Fri Dec 21, 2012 1:06 am

I could not agree more, and considering the amounts of money involved, I think this is unfair that WotC does not publish printrun figures anymore.

As for sealed boosters, I guess for some desirability prevails more than anything, right ?

GlobalBoosterHunter
Legendary Aussie Booster Hunter
Posts: 1209
Joined: Sun Jan 29, 2012 3:38 am
Location: Queensland, Australia

Post by GlobalBoosterHunter » Fri Dec 21, 2012 2:44 am

magic-belgium wrote: As for sealed boosters, I guess for some desirability prevails more than anything, right ?
Yes, mostly!

I desire a booster I don't have more than money that I do have, but I have no desire to have a second one.

Same booster, different desire.

I have a desire for an Italian homelands booster unlike anyone else on the planet! I was sure I had two Italian Homelands but I can't find either. I have a feeling that the person selling them mis-identified the language and I just assumed they had sent the correct ones.

To most people Italian Homelands would be undesirable and they would be happy to get anything for them. To me they are desirable and I would gladly pay twice the price of an English version.

I have some German Homeland Boosters, the first one was so desirable I had to buy a bulk lot of 42 in order to get it and the other 41 are just taking up space. I don't even have the desire to open them to try and make a set.

User avatar
magic-belgium
Librarities Legend
Posts: 1932
Joined: Tue Sep 25, 2007 7:19 am
Location: Belgium

Post by magic-belgium » Fri Dec 21, 2012 10:58 am

GlobalBoosterHunter wrote:
magic-belgium wrote: As for sealed boosters, I guess for some desirability prevails more than anything, right ?
Yes, mostly!

I desire a booster I don't have more than money that I do have, but I have no desire to have a second one.

Same booster, different desire.

I have a desire for an Italian homelands booster unlike anyone else on the planet!
Image

Though I don't agree with her (French do it better), I understand your point completely. You must have been a teenager in the 80's...

User avatar
CHaPuZaS
Legendary Spanish Trash Hoarder
Posts: 242
Joined: Thu Nov 04, 2010 3:10 am
Location: Madrid, Spain
Contact:

Post by CHaPuZaS » Fri Dec 21, 2012 8:31 pm

GlobalBoosterHunter wrote: I have a desire for an Italian homelands booster unlike anyone else on the planet!
Don't be so sure... 8-[

User avatar
mystical_tutor
Legendary Old Fart Magic Player
Posts: 3056
Joined: Mon Dec 10, 2007 3:02 am
Location: Colorado Springs

Post by mystical_tutor » Sat Dec 22, 2012 7:47 pm

What was the subject? For some reason I have completely lost track--except that I know of only one way to tell if the French or the Italians do it better and I probably will never find out......sigh.

Gary
Gary Adkison
Father of a former Wizards of the Coast janitor.

Knowledge is proud because it thinks it knows so much; wisdom is humble because it realizes it knows so little.

jesykons
Librarities Hero
Posts: 27
Joined: Mon Mar 07, 2011 1:23 pm
Location: Madrid, España.

Post by jesykons » Thu Dec 27, 2012 2:22 pm

Hi Gary.

We are talking about overprincing and the ignorance about how rare is a booster(more or less).

I agree with you GlobalBoosterHunter.

It's like a C/C++ program, if it's easy to do/create, you can find it on web. But if it's something extrange, how knows will keep it hide for a few "chosen group".

---
In this hobby as in most, the item's price is based on;
Rarity,
Condition,
Desirability.
----

I know, but I am not agree with that.

I have wrote some weeks ago to Wizards support team, to tell them that the "from the vault realms" box is been overprincing by dealers.

Hey Wizards: You are selling this box for $35-$40 to your dealers and they are selling it at $150.

Do you think it's healthy for the game, people and kids??

Why do you permit that?.

The answer was "Dealers may sell our products at the price they decide. This is a free market."

....

I feel really disappointed with this.

But like you told us, that's a hobby based on Desirability.


Chapuzas:
He visto que tienen una caja de renacimiento en italiano en mkm, te apuntas y la compramos entre los dos?.

Ciao.

User avatar
CHaPuZaS
Legendary Spanish Trash Hoarder
Posts: 242
Joined: Thu Nov 04, 2010 3:10 am
Location: Madrid, Spain
Contact:

Post by CHaPuZaS » Thu Dec 27, 2012 6:43 pm

jesykons wrote: Chapuzas:
He visto que tienen una caja de renacimiento en italiano en mkm, te apuntas y la compramos entre los dos?.
I'm not in a hurry about that Booster. It is too much money, as I only need the brown one in Italian. If you are interested in having a lot of them, I will need one and some of your boosters in the "have list". However, last time you told me that you were not selling, but just trading, them, and I don't have spares...

jesykons
Librarities Hero
Posts: 27
Joined: Mon Mar 07, 2011 1:23 pm
Location: Madrid, España.

Yeaaah!!!

Post by jesykons » Fri Dec 28, 2012 1:17 pm

Ok, no problem, I understand.

It's too much to me too. (I am a trumpet man LoL!!!).

Don't worry, I have reserved some of them for you. We will talk in evo.

Happy new Heavy-Metal Year!!!

User avatar
mystical_tutor
Legendary Old Fart Magic Player
Posts: 3056
Joined: Mon Dec 10, 2007 3:02 am
Location: Colorado Springs

Post by mystical_tutor » Fri Dec 28, 2012 5:58 pm

jesykons wrote:Hi Gary.

We are talking about overprincing and the ignorance about how rare is a booster(more or less).
Oh, so the Italian chick is a booster? Rare/Great condition/Desireable....OK I can believe that......
jesykons wrote: ---
In this hobby as in most, the item's price is based on;
Rarity,
Condition,
Desirability.
----
I think it is much more complex than that. A strong motivator in any type of collecting is ego. One wants to have something they can be proud of and that not many (preferable not any) others have as many of or as complete a set of. Thus they become somewhat unique in the world and achiever a degree of identity--at least among those collecting the same thing. If no one else in the world collected Magic cards or were interested in them and you had them all, how important would your collection be even to you?

To test that statement change "Magic cards" to a item you are not interested in--banana peals, gall stones, wasp stingers....

The list above only has one motivator in it as all three words identify the same thing, desireability.
jesykons wrote:I have wrote some weeks ago to Wizards support team, to tell them that the "from the vault realms" box is been overprincing by dealers.

Hey Wizards: You are selling this box for $35-$40 to your dealers and they are selling it at $150.

Do you think it's healthy for the game, people and kids??

Why do you permit that?.

The answer was "Dealers may sell our products at the price they decide. This is a free market."
I am not sure how this fits in with the subject of booster collecting. It is a totally different subject that has been hashed over many times.

In relationship to Boosters I think booster collecting may be one of the most challenging of all and therefore should be highly satisfying.

No one knows how many of any given booster still exists
No one knows how many have already been collected or where they are.
No one really knows the value of a given booster.
No one knows how long the present boosters will survive. The rarest are always subject to opening (is there a hurricane in that Summer booster?).

My hat is off to those that take on this challenge, You are true collectors and I wish you the very best.

Gary
Gary Adkison
Father of a former Wizards of the Coast janitor.

Knowledge is proud because it thinks it knows so much; wisdom is humble because it realizes it knows so little.

GlobalBoosterHunter
Legendary Aussie Booster Hunter
Posts: 1209
Joined: Sun Jan 29, 2012 3:38 am
Location: Queensland, Australia

Post by GlobalBoosterHunter » Sat Dec 29, 2012 10:33 am

CHaPuZaS wrote:
I'm not in a hurry about that (Italian Renaissance) Booster. It is too much money, as I only need the brown one in Italian...
So I was also looking for a set of the two Italian Renaissance boosters, I found a guy off ebay (serra6angel9) who used to own a shop and had some boxes of odds and ends left over. I got a set of FBB Korean 4th and FBB Spanish 4th (He has other stuff too, "Right now I only have Portugese starter decks. I also have Korean 4th black border starter decks.")

Dear jislizard,

Mark,
I just opened a new box of Itlaian Renaissance and was surprised to find out that there is only one color of pack. I had been selling only German or French packs at PTQ's. I had not sold Italian packs in 10 years and thought they were the same as the German and French.
I can either send you two packs or refund you.
Let me know.


- serra6angel9
So it looks like only one colour for Italian, anyone confirm this?

User avatar
CHaPuZaS
Legendary Spanish Trash Hoarder
Posts: 242
Joined: Thu Nov 04, 2010 3:10 am
Location: Madrid, Spain
Contact:

Post by CHaPuZaS » Sat Dec 29, 2012 10:45 am

GlobalBoosterHunter wrote:So it looks like only one colour for Italian, anyone confirm this?
Well, that looks like a good explanation for the "I can't find that f*****g booster" thing. :'-(

Kalle
Librarities Legend
Posts: 146
Joined: Tue Dec 25, 2007 5:52 pm
Location: Parma, Italy

Post by Kalle » Sun Dec 30, 2012 11:40 am

I never purchased a Homeland booster at that time, so I have no idea.
I've asked to a few shops around, but nobody has any leftovers. :(
Kalle, Il
Italian collector, player and judge

Post Reply

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 3 guests