Tav Global Sets

Everything else about trading. Specific Magiclibrarities Hero and Legends Permanent Lists and Legends External Links.

Moderators: cataclysm80, hammr7, l0qii, Apocalypse2K, berkumps, dragsamou, mystical_tutor, pp

Blood
Librarities Hero

Post by Blood » Thu Oct 17, 2013 3:47 am

l0qii wrote:
Blood wrote:
GlobalBoosterHunter wrote:What is the Global set for the Nalathni Dragon? I only have one in English given away by the Duelist Magazine.
It is the easiest global set you ever put together!
There is also a japanese version
http://www.magiclibrarities.net/52-rari ... index.html
Wow, thanks for the info. Do you know how rare they are?

GlobalBoosterHunter
Legendary Aussie Booster Hunter

Post by GlobalBoosterHunter » Thu Oct 17, 2013 4:33 am

OK, I was wondering if the Duelist was printed in Japanese or something!

Cheers, I don't think I will try and chase one down.

cataclysm80
Librarities Legend

Post by cataclysm80 » Thu Oct 17, 2013 2:50 pm

Yes, I have an English & a Japanese Nalathni Dragon. I was considering getting a Japanese Crystal Vein & Flood Plain to display next to them.

Some would say that there are two versions of the English Nalathni Dragon because the ones from Duelest Magazine have a small stain which is difficult to see on the backside from the rubber cement that held it in the magazine, while the ones from Dragon Con do not have the rubber cement mark. Personally, I am content with either English version. I have two English copies, but I'm not exactly sure where on the back to look for the rubber cement mark.

The Japanese one was not hard for me to find. I searched for less than 1 day.

Tav

berkumps
Legendary AA Coffin Puppet Master

Post by berkumps » Thu Oct 17, 2013 2:54 pm

cataclysm80 wrote:Some would say that there are two versions of the English Nalathni Dragon because the ones from Duelest Magazine have a small stain which is difficult to see on the backside from the rubber cement that held it in the magazine, while the ones from Dragon Con do not have the rubber cement mark. Personally, I am content with either English version. I have two English copies, but I'm not exactly sure where on the back to look for the rubber cement mark.
Gary can probably help in this regard.

cataclysm80
Librarities Legend

Post by cataclysm80 » Fri Oct 18, 2013 2:53 pm

I have a chance to get a Breeding Pit misprinted without the casting cost, but the owner wants me to make an offer. I've no idea what it's worth. Any suggestions?

It's the most important piece for my Breeding Pit Global Set.

Tav

dragsamou
Administrator

Post by dragsamou » Fri Oct 18, 2013 3:04 pm

cataclysm80 wrote:I have a chance to get a Breeding Pit misprinted without the casting cost, but the owner wants me to make an offer. I've no idea what it's worth. Any suggestions?

Tav
Hi Tav

I already replied, I think that All or most of them are Misprinted. Price is 23€ and there's 3 of them available. So, don't get too excited, it's either a common or All misprint story. "Italian Breeding Pit
This card is completely missing a casting cost! This mistake hasn't been made since the Alpha Cyclopean Tomb, as far as I know. It comes from Italian 5th edition. If you look closely, you can see two black circles where the 3B SHOULD be." From Squt's Website:
http://squt.tripod.com/MainError.html
Want/Have Lists.
viewtopic.php?f=8&t=8903
viewtopic.php?f=7&t=1515
I Love you Dad.R.I.P.

mmgun
Legendary Tyypo Hunter

Post by mmgun » Fri Oct 18, 2013 3:11 pm

dragsamou wrote:
cataclysm80 wrote:I have a chance to get a Breeding Pit misprinted without the casting cost, but the owner wants me to make an offer. I've no idea what it's worth. Any suggestions?

Tav
Hi Tav

I already replied, I think that All or most of them are Misprinted. Price is 23€ and there's 3 of them available. So, don't get too excited, it's either a common or All misprint story. "Italian Breeding Pit
This card is completely missing a casting cost! This mistake hasn't been made since the Alpha Cyclopean Tomb, as far as I know. It comes from Italian 5th edition. If you look closely, you can see two black circles where the 3B SHOULD be." From Squt's Website:
http://squt.tripod.com/MainError.html

Thats correct, all italian 5th breeding pits have this error.
I can even trade you one, if you got some other regular misprints for my collection. PM me.

cataclysm80
Librarities Legend

Post by cataclysm80 » Wed Apr 16, 2014 6:40 pm

I've had a few questions about how or why I selected these particular cards to collect. Seems best to just post the answer here...

I completed my first global set in 1996. It was Wall of Heat. I had opened a Wall of Heat in my first Chronicles booster pack. While playing at a local tournament, a guy came in with some foreign cards. Most of us had not seen any foreign language magic cards before. The first foreign card I saw was a German Lightning Bolt. He wouldn't trade the Lightning Bolt, but he had an Italian Wall of Heat that he didn't want, and I took it home. Shortly thereafter I found an English Legends Wall of Heat while sorting through commons at the local game shop. I thought it was pretty neat to have three different printings of the same card. Then a friend of mine purchased a Visions Multiverse Gift Box, and when he opened a Japanese Wall of Heat out of it, I had to have it. (I bought the Battle Royale Wall of Heat a few years later when it came out.)
Most people aren't very interested in Wall of Heat, so I didn't keep the cards next to each other, I separated them by set with all of my other cards.

Over the years, I've gathered an extensive collection of pre-modern cards. Occasionally I would put a deck together and go to the local game store for some fun, and I frequently got questions from the newer players about how to tell the older sets without expansion symbols apart from one another. Then one day a friend gave me an alternate 4th edition Benalish Hero. It was my first alternate 4th edition card, and I wasn't quite sure where to put it in my collection. I decided that since I had all the English printings of Benalish Hero, that I would put them all toghether on one page to take with me and show to people that ask me how to tell apart the old cards without expansion symbols. People remember better when they can see the difference themselves. I thought the set would be better if I included all of the foreign printings also. There aren't very many foreign printings of Benalish Hero because it was only printed until 5th edition, and the last printing was simplified chinese 5th, which is conveniently the first core set with an expansion symbol. Exactly the time frame that I wanted to cover.

Next, I decided that perhaps Benalish Hero wasn't the best card to display the evolution of card design to newer players. It did show the white mana symbol change, but I also wanted to show the tap symbol change. Looking through Alpha cards, Samite Healer & Northern Paladin were the only white cards with tap effects. I decided that the Samite Healer was the way to go because it is a common and the Northern Paladin is a rare. I thought that a common would be cheaper and easier to collect than a rare, but now I'm pretty sure that I was wrong on both counts. Samite Healer was printed in every regular language that magic cards were made in. As a bonus, Samite Healer from Anthologies had a misprinted casting cost that made the collection more interesting.

I thought that if I was showing new players how the card design / game had evolved, that I should also include Poly, Mono, & Continuous Artifacts. Crystal Rod was selected as the Poly Artifact because I already had the difficult to find summer magic version. Glasses of Urza was selected as the Mono Artifact because of the French 5th casting cost misprint and also because it is included in Rivals Quick Start (marked back) and Introductory Two Player foreign sets (yes a card can be foreign and English at the same time). Library of Leng was selected as the Continuous Artifact because the French Unlimited version has a 1995 date (unlike most of French Unlimited), and also because the Italian Second Edition version has the unusual bold copyright line.

In addition to the newer players having a hard time identifying cards without expansion symbols, they also have a hard time with cards that have an expansion symbol and are white bordered. At this point, I put my Wall of Heat set back together as an example of English Legends, Italian Legends, English Chronicles (white border), and Japanese Chronicles (black border, No, Legends was not released in Japan), and Battle Royale (also white border with expansion symbol).

Not all Battle Royale cards are white border with expansion symbol though, some are white border without expansion symbol. Since my focus is on cards that are difficult for newer players to identify, I really felt I should have a card to represent Battle Royale without expansion symbol. I selected Scryb Sprite because it also has the French Unlimited 1995 date, along with being in Rivals, Alt 4th, Introductory Two Player, etc.

Anthologies is another white border set that's available with & without expansion symbols. I selected Scavenger Folk to represent Anthologies with expansion symbol. Scavenger Folk also represents many of the same features as the Wall of Heat set. Although I already had Samite Healer to represent Anthologies without expansion symbol, I couldn't resist adding Fireball due to the Armada Comics Promo, many other interesting promos, and the strange Beatdown XY casting cost. I also added the other Armada Comics Promo, Blue Elemental Blast.

Starter 2000 is another white border set that's available with and without expansion symbols. Samite Healer represents Starter 2000 with expansion symbol. I selected Mons's Goblin Raiders to represent Starter 2000 without expansion symbol because of the different Starter 1999 rarity.

Ironclaw Orcs and Twiddle were (correctly) printed in Renaissance without expansion symbols, so I added both of those to my global collection. Winter Blast and Xenic Poltergeist were misprinted in Renaissance without expansion symbols, so I also added both of those.

Reconstruction, Island Arena League Promo, Beast of Burden, Fairie Conclave, Forbidding Watchtower, Ghitu Encampment, Spawning Pool, and Treetop Village were all added because they were misprinted without expansion symbols. (I'm still looking for Lightning Hounds without expansion symbol.) I added Nalathni Dragon because some people consider the Japanese version to be misprinted without expansion symbol. I don't personally feel that the Japanese Nalathni Dragon is misprinted as the Japanese one was printed a couple years later and had no need for a Dragoncon expansion symbol, but it was an easy set to complete, so here it is.

Some Ice Age cards were later reprinted with black borders and rarity colored expansion symbols. I chose Ashen Ghoul to represent this.

At this point, just for fun, I decided to add Aku Djinn to represent dark Visions, and Initiates of the Ebon Hand to represent Wyvern Back cards. I also added a section for the Text/Art misprints, cards where the casting cost doesn't match the card frame color, and the prerelease cards that were printed in Latin, Classical Greek, Sanskrit, Arabic, Cyrillic, & Hebrew.

Next I added Scaled Wurm because I opened one in my very first starter deck and I've always liked the art. Hopefully someday, it will represent 8th edition test print and alpha cut Ice Age. I also added Cyclopean Tomb, Breeding Pit, and Severed Legion because those cards were printed without any casting cost at all.

Tav

cataclysm80
Librarities Legend

Post by cataclysm80 » Wed Apr 16, 2014 6:53 pm

A HUGE THANK YOU to Neuron for getting me approximately 350 cards from MKM! My want list is noticably smaller now.

Tav

cataclysm80
Librarities Legend

Post by cataclysm80 » Thu Oct 09, 2014 11:17 pm

Big Update

Another Huge Thanks to Neuron for getting me approximately 50 more cards off my list!

Also, I've added Artist Proofs to the list. Wow, that's a lot of Artist Proofs!

If any of you have something from my list, please let me know.

Thanks

mmgun
Legendary Tyypo Hunter

Post by mmgun » Fri Oct 10, 2014 9:49 am

Peat Bog Spanish Mercadian Masques not misprinted with Remote Farm (Granja Remota) text

As far as i know, all spanish Peat Bogs have the error, did you ever see a correct one ?

cataclysm80
Librarities Legend

Post by cataclysm80 » Fri Oct 10, 2014 3:12 pm

mmgun wrote:
Peat Bog Spanish Mercadian Masques not misprinted with Remote Farm (Granja Remota) text

As far as i know, all spanish Peat Bogs have the error, did you ever see a correct one ?

I really thought that I did, but people keep telling me it doesn't exist, so I'm starting to doubt myself.

I saw it on the Facebook Misprints & Oddities group while I was working on the Inquiries about Art Misprints topic between September to January 2013. It may still be there if I can scroll back far enough. Someone from Spain posted a picture of all the versions. Maybe the "correct" one was actually Portuguese and I just didn't realize it? I'll have to see if I can find that picture.

Tav

UPDATE: I was able to find the Facebook picture that I was looking for and confirm that none of the cards in that picture were the corrected version of the card. I have not yet seen a corrected version. However, this card was used in the Prophecy Theme Deck named Distress, which was supposedly available in Spanish. That deck is a rare item to find, but it's possible that this Theme Deck printing of the card could be different from the one in booster packs.
Last edited by cataclysm80 on Mon Aug 31, 2015 5:00 am, edited 2 times in total.

cataclysm80
Librarities Legend

Re: Tav Global Sets

Post by cataclysm80 » Mon Aug 31, 2015 4:53 am

Updated.

Removed some artist proof cards and test prints from the list.
Acquired some playtest cards and added the playtest cards I'm missing to the list.

Tav