Cleaning cards...

Everything else about Magic.

Moderators: cataclysm80, hammr7, l0qii, Apocalypse2K, berkumps, dragsamou, mystical_tutor, pp

AnimeDood
Librarities Member

Cleaning cards...

Post by AnimeDood » Fri Mar 02, 2007 10:23 pm

I have a real problem with anoying black dirt/oil spots that occasionally appear on cards that I get from my friends, and somethimes my local Magic store. I'm fairly sure that these spots were probably caused by being played by careless players on dirty surfaces with no sleeves. I know from personal experience, because that's what happened to the first 2 decks I ever bought :-*) . Thankfully, I later learned the importance of good sleeves.

My problem is, once these dirt spots have accumulated on a card, what is the best way to safely remove them without damaging my cards.
At last Urza's powers were focused through the incredible artifact. "Who wants pancakes?" He asked.

psrex
Librarities Legend

Post by psrex » Fri Mar 02, 2007 10:26 pm

Moisten your finger a bit and rub gently or use a slightly damp cloth.

I've wondered how some cards that I've gotten could possibly have become so dirty, but I've decided that I don't really want to know.

hammr7
Librarities Legend

Post by hammr7 » Sat Mar 03, 2007 7:11 am

Windex works great. Apply the windex to a paper towel (never directly to the card) and rub the card GENTLY. The dirt spots will gradually transfer to the paper towel. Keep changing the part of the paper towe you rub with so that the tar/grease/grime doesn't get reapplied to the card.

I have also used these orange scented household cleaners, but you have to air the card out for a few days to get rid of the smell.

Magic cards can take this kind of cleaning very well so long as you don't rub hard. Please note that this method does not work well on inked areas of cards.

Royal Ass.
Librarities Hero

Post by Royal Ass. » Sat Mar 03, 2007 5:20 pm

I've used spit and a a white cotton t-shirt to clean them. It works.
Ci sono cose che succedono ai vivi non ai morti.

AnimeDood
Librarities Member

Post by AnimeDood » Sun Mar 04, 2007 5:01 pm

Thanks for the help. I tried the spit and water methods and they both work great! I guess Magic cards must be somewhat water-resistant. I haven't tried using Windex yet, bu I don't think I'll need to.

On a side note, I discovered that the spit method does work best using a cloth or t-shirt. If you use your finger instead, after two or three cards, the dirt that transfered to your finger transfers to your tounge :'-( .
At last Urza's powers were focused through the incredible artifact. "Who wants pancakes?" He asked.