How big is your collection?

Everything else about Magic.

Moderators: cataclysm80, hammr7, l0qii, Apocalypse2K, berkumps, dragsamou, mystical_tutor, pp

How big is your collection?

< 1000 (one long box)
No votes
1001 - 5000 (one big square box)
12%
5001 - 20000 (more than you'd ever use)
27%
20000 - 100000 (a small addiction)
35%
> 100000 (they keep your fireplace going)
25%

Total votes: 51

mahdishain
Librarities Legend

Post by mahdishain » Fri Jun 22, 2007 1:36 pm

too many to count and i gave up on sorting years ago.

victorcamp
Librarities Legend

How Many Cards

Post by victorcamp » Fri Jun 22, 2007 4:03 pm

I've somewhat stagnated the last couple of years and been stuck at around 55,000. They're all boxed by edition, sorted by color, alphabetized, and in my computer. I now build decks solely through my CardKeep(c) program, picking them from lists, searches, and scans. Once that's done, then I go to the boxes on the shelves behind the computer. I even have the boxes sorted by release date, so I have to get a step-stool for older sets; you know, when I want a really cool wand with a Phoenix feather in it.

yawg07
Legendary Chairman of Altered Art

Post by yawg07 » Fri Jun 22, 2007 4:44 pm

I'm definitely in the 20,000 range. One of these days I'm gonna finish my catalog.
I'm a real freak about organization ... when I set out to do it lol

Almost all the time there are random stacks of cards strewn about my room from the latest deck idea and such #-o

psrex
Librarities Legend

Post by psrex » Fri Jun 22, 2007 6:01 pm

yawg07 wrote:Almost all the time there are random stacks of cards strewn about my room from the latest deck idea and such #-o
Wait a minute -- you can build decks with the cards and play with them? What have I been missing?

I'm getting ready for my first sanctioned play ever with the 10th Edition release event. My only other tournament was in 1994 and was unsanctioned (if the DCI existed then).

Mykeatog
Librarities Hero

Post by Mykeatog » Fri Jun 22, 2007 6:39 pm

I keep a very strong control on my personal collection, I own less than 300 cards right now, and will never own more than 1000 (on purpose). Here is 70% of my collection currently...

l0qii
Legendary Unfindable Title Moderator

Post by l0qii » Fri Jun 22, 2007 6:50 pm

Mykeatog wrote:I keep a very strong control on my personal collection, I own less than 300 cards right now, and will never own more than 1000 (on purpose). Here is 70% of my collection currently...
I sense a theme here, but what's the motive? Why just foil land? It's certainly cool, but seems kind of arbitrary.

Mykeatog
Librarities Hero

Post by Mykeatog » Fri Jun 22, 2007 7:07 pm

No more or less arbitrary than collecting pretty much anything. I mean, I wanted something valueable to collect that was cool, and safe. Safe meaning - isn't going to get reprinted/promo'd. Cool so that the value would hold over time. I like to consider it similiar to a savings account (yes - I don't get a % of my money back, but I also don't spend it). I also perfer english near mint unsigned, which from what I can tell is strange.

squt
Legendary Misprint Error Collector

Post by squt » Fri Jun 22, 2007 11:14 pm

I am in the process of moving my cards from Chicago to Seattle. It SUUUCKS. They charge you by the lb to move, and cards are insanely heavy. I drove my car out with a trunk full of about 10,000 cards, but since I was driving over mountains, I didn't want to pack too many more.

I think the moving company is going to be moving another 30K or so. I wish i'd had more time to pack, I would have dumped about 10K in bulk cards.

Word of advice for any of you who think you might move in the next 5 years: DOWNSIZE.

Squt

thulnanth
Librarities Legend

Post by thulnanth » Sat Jun 23, 2007 12:26 pm

Wow - you guys are making me feel bad. I have been purging cards for years and lately have really begun to get serious (ie. tossing unsorted boxes of commons, selling large lots). I have reduced my collection by at least 80% and I STILL have around 35,000 cards...

I always thought that was normal :-s

No wonder my wife referred to me as being "a touch off".

Take it easy,
Jared

Dilligaf
Legendary Misplaced Limey Judge

Post by Dilligaf » Sun Jun 24, 2007 3:32 am

thulnanth wrote:No wonder my wife referred to me as being "a touch off".
I keep my collection at the store I work at, this saves her the trouble of knowing how many I have, and me the trouble of hearing that I have too many.
Never argue with an Idiot, they will drag you down to their level then beat you with experience.
** Trying to collect one of each (at least) Brom Artwork.. if you have extra stuff, PM me.. AP's too!

thulnanth
Librarities Legend

Post by thulnanth » Sun Jun 24, 2007 4:55 am

So what you're saying is that in addition to all the crazy collectibles I have, I now also need to get a store???

I like the way you think =D>

Take it easy,
Jared

Giediprime41
Librarities Legend

Post by Giediprime41 » Wed Sep 05, 2007 11:58 pm

You know what they say about guys with BIG magic card collections.....
They have about 30% of their homes sguare footage in permanent limbo.
They spend about three nights a week sleeping on the sofa while being "in the dog house" from their less understanding other.
You know who you are. [-X :-(

Hell i lost my girlfriend in one of my magic card "mountains".
I just kept throwing food into the middle and the empty plate would make it's way back to the edge of the rift.
But sadly i think she died in there for after time the plate stopped arriving, sad times. :-(

Anyway, on a more happy note...

About a year ago i moved to the "mancave" i now call home.
All the bulk crap was moved by a moving outfit, i may add it took almost three 18 wheelers worth of space to move all my crap!!
Well i felt that to help the movers by transporting some of the "more expensive personial items, drums, collectables, and my cards.... >:-(
The drums and collectables only took two trips in my new chevy silverado king cab with extended bed.
But the magic cards took three trips packed to the gills!!
What a pain in the ass.... >:-( ](*,)
So i have no clue how many cards i have, all i know is it's ALOT!!
About three months ago i started going through some of the Magic "black hole" i call my collection.
I wanted to get an idea of what i have and keep track of most of the older sets with new binders.
I bought almost $600 worth of binders!
I also cleaned out the local office depot of their 6" binders or all different colors.
Talk about a problem... :-D :-O
I have enough cards to stack them all up, and commit suicide off the top!

Darren

dragsamou
Administrator

Post by dragsamou » Thu Sep 06, 2007 6:25 am

Giediprime41 wrote: I have enough cards to stack them all up, and commit suicide off the top!
Darren
Hi Darren.
Over 6/7 years ago it was already the same sentence :-P
Can you make a Triple Salto and Double loops now :-D
Want/Have Lists.
viewtopic.php?f=8&t=8903
viewtopic.php?f=7&t=1515
I Love you Dad.R.I.P.

PolarBearGod
Librarities Legend

Post by PolarBearGod » Thu Sep 06, 2007 12:37 pm

I keep a playset of everything to build any decks in Extended, T2, and Block. I have a few Legacy cards, but that's it. I've sold my collection about seven or eight times over since I started playing. Sometime around Ravnica, I started working to complete foil sets and essentially foil crazy.

Gary_a_Getty
Librarities Hero

Post by Gary_a_Getty » Fri Sep 07, 2007 11:22 am

I have not never counted my cards. I have a playset of set from Ice Age to today and from revised to 10th plus i'm trying to complete a foil set collection from UL to today (it's near to complete)
Unfortunately i have only 1 set of Antiquities and Arabian and 0 set of Unlimited and Alpha/Beta ... :-(; however i think in this life I will not succeed to complete a playset of those set .....
I have also obviously DCI, Promo, FNM, Judge, Prerelease, Oversized, items etc.etc.etc ....