getting non foil cards foiled

Everything else about Magic.

Moderators: cataclysm80, hammr7, l0qii, Apocalypse2K, berkumps, dragsamou, mystical_tutor, pp

NeRo
Librarities Legend

getting non foil cards foiled

Post by NeRo » Mon Apr 27, 2009 8:27 pm

Hi Guys,

a friend of mine wants to get some old non-foil cards foiled.
even if i think its a quite stupid idea, i want to help him ;)

Does anyone know if its possible to get old cards foiled ?

thanks a lot,
regards,

nero

Magic61983
Librarities Legend

Post by Magic61983 » Mon Apr 27, 2009 9:11 pm

They won't be real obviously. What are they looking to get foiled?
BGS 9+ Alpha set 282/295 (97.29%) Avg 9.41
BGS 9.5+ Beta set 283/302 (93.71%) Avg 9.58
BGS 9.5+ Arabian set 35/92 (38.04%) Avg 9.62
BGS 9.5+ Antiquities set 82/100 (82%) Avg 9.64
BGS 9.5+ Legends set 279/310 (90.00%) Avg 9.61

Gryfalia
Legendary Epic Store Owner

Post by Gryfalia » Mon Apr 27, 2009 10:05 pm

Well, depends on how precise you want them to look. A local player here has a very nicely done 'foil' Oubliette (He has an oubliette in the middle of every single page in his trade binder. This is not an insignificant amount..hehe). It's probably the best fake foil I've seen, but of course it doesn't have the real hallmarks of modern foils, like the foil being only in certain places...
He's just this guy, ya know?

NeRo
Librarities Legend

Post by NeRo » Mon Apr 27, 2009 10:14 pm

Magic61983 wrote:They won't be real obviously. What are they looking to get foiled?
ofc they would not be real - but this does not matter in his eyes.
he is collecting foil dragons and dragons over years and got the zodiac dragon twice and want to get one of those foiled. well like i said, i still think it is a bad idea to "waste" like 100 euros but i am sure he will not change his mind.

well noone knows a shop doing this in a "professional" way ?

@Gryfalia ... you know how this guy did make the foil Oubliette ?

regards

mystical_tutor
Legendary Old Fart Magic Player

Post by mystical_tutor » Tue Apr 28, 2009 2:21 am

NeRo wrote:@Gryfalia ... you know how this guy did make the foil Oubliette ?
Sorry I can't give you details but I do remember that we had problems with counterfit foil Pokemon cards when they were hot. Some looked pretty good too so don't give up. If they cought the guy that was doing it then, he should be out of jail by now......
Gary Adkison
Father of a former Wizards of the Coast janitor.

Knowledge is proud because it thinks it knows so much; wisdom is humble because it realizes it knows so little.

Tenacious_Dyl
Librarities Legend

Post by Tenacious_Dyl » Wed Apr 29, 2009 5:54 pm

I've always wanted to make custom foils too, such as foil "magic cards" of actual friends as "plainswalkers", foil versions of cards that were never foil, etc.

There are a few tricks out there to get foil cards, but I don't know of a way to take a non-foil card (like the Zodiac Dragon) and "make it foil" - the best you could do would be to coat it with something that is somewhat reflective (think super fine silver dust in a clear substrate spread thin enough to keep the card legible) but that wouldn't be "under" the card as trading card foils typically are.

Your best bet, and one that I do not recommended for many reasons including copyright issues, would be to create a "transparency" of the card you would like 'foiled' on as thin of a piece of clear plastic as possible with inking that is transparent and not opaque on the top of it. Then you can either take a real foil card, or "make" a card foil with a metallic layer of some kind and fix the transparency on top of that.

A long time ago there was a thread on how to properly "peel" the top transparency layer of a MTG foil off, leaving you with a "blank" foil card. This could only be done with some of the first foils, with this it is very easy to see the "transparency" portion and the "foil card" portion, you might be able to work from there...

hammr7
Librarities Legend

Post by hammr7 » Wed Apr 29, 2009 11:04 pm

Most card foils are mylars, which are metalized tedlar (polyvinyl flouride) films. These films are not transparent, which means the card stock needs to have them applied before printing and top coating.

The easist way to make a near copy would be to start with regular foil cards. If you wipe them with a ketone solvent - like MEK (methyl ethyl ketone), MIBK (methyl isobutyl ketone), or even Acetone (nail polish remover) - it will strip off all the existing artwork.

You then need to find a way to print the new artwork onto the shiny blank foil surface. You could do this with a regular computer printer, but I don't know how the inks would take, or how permanent they would be once they dried. You might have to work with a variety of different inks until you found some that worked. Obviously, if you then tried to sell the modified cards you would likely be involved in something illegal.