Mail Brag!

Everything else about Magic.

Moderators: cataclysm80, hammr7, l0qii, Apocalypse2K, berkumps, dragsamou, mystical_tutor, pp

MagicIsCardboardCrack

Post by MagicIsCardboardCrack » Fri Jun 15, 2012 1:52 am

Here (from kidicarus's post on the previous page; not mine)

KI if you want to fix your post, post this without the two X's:

[Ximg]http://img607.imageshack.us/img607/4137/summerpack.jpg[/imgX]
MagicIsCardboardCrack ...and I'm addicted.

Hayden
Librarities Legend

Post by Hayden » Fri Jun 15, 2012 2:12 am

[quote="kidicarus2000" A big thanks to Hayden for making the deal easy and safe, I am very excited to own this piece of Magic history![/quote]

You are very welcome, it was a joy to deal with you as well.

BTW :-k I know the Edgar pack was the star of the package i sent you but you did not want to "mail brag" about the other treasure? That is probably mail brag worthy as well he he :-\'

Hayden
Librarities Legend

Post by Hayden » Fri Jun 15, 2012 2:15 am

GlobalBoosterHunter wrote:Image

Apparently I am too dumb to help!

Very nice, Hayden must be close to retirement soon!
:-D Not quite but it took as big a chunk out of my mortgage as yours did :wink:

Once again thanks to both you guys for your faith in me with such large international deals.

Now I just have to stay away from my new vintage comics crack addiction [-X

Ertai's Familiar
Librarities Legend

Post by Ertai's Familiar » Fri Jun 15, 2012 2:50 am

Sexy!

FWIW Hayden is a champ and an excellent gentleman to deal with.
squt: Sweet! That's the best trade - one that doesn't cost a thing.

pickle.69: NO DRINK ON THE FUCKING TABLE

sdematt
Librarities Hero

Post by sdematt » Fri Jun 15, 2012 3:55 am

This seems true, so far. Paul, send me those scans when you get the time.

Pardon my stupidity, but a couple questions.

a) Paul, how did you know you were getting an unsearched pack when you bought it?

b) Is there a way to tell beyond the "E" that it's a Summer pack?

-Matt
"I'm your Huckleberry"

Collector of Beta/Alpha Dual Lands

kidicarus2000
Librarities Member

Post by kidicarus2000 » Fri Jun 15, 2012 4:16 am

Thanks for the help MagicIsCardboardCrack. For some reason it was giving me a different image number than what you pasted, maybe that was the problem.

Matt - It's virtually impossible to know for sure that it hasn't been searched at some point, but I think it's fairly safe to assume it hasn't. The package doesn't have any damage at the top, where you would have to press to see the rare's name. Someone would have to be very good at searching to do that without leaving any damage. All the damage on the pack is at the bottom, which is natural since you have to search there to verify it's Summer. To verify it's Summer, you have to press the bottom of the package so you can see either the C 1994 date at the bottom, or the location of the artist's name. Because the brown on this pack is too far down, it's impossible to see the C 1994. I was able to verify it was Summer by measuring the distance from the end of the card to the beginning of the artist's last name. It's almost exactly middle on Summer, and much further to the left in Revised.

Hayden - I was definitely going to post the other picture as well, just wanted to test that one first since I couldn't get the picture to post. For those interested, this is the other item I picked up from Hayden:

Hayden
Librarities Legend

Post by Hayden » Fri Jun 15, 2012 4:29 am

sdematt wrote:This seems true, so far. Paul, send me those scans when you get the time.

Pardon my stupidity, but a couple questions.

a) Paul, how did you know you were getting an unsearched pack when you bought it?

b) Is there a way to tell beyond the "E" that it's a Summer pack?

-Matt
Sorry Matt I will get to those card scans this weekend - crazy week.

As for the summer packs... Long story short, I bought 5 off Troll & Toad years ago (all with the green "E"s on them) which I understand they put on to ID them after getting them from a primary source (so somehow they confirmed it). I actually cracked 2 packs (pulling my BGS 9.5 BOP from one) thereby confirming they did not lie to me (not really for that reason but curiosity got the better of me and I has to see what was in there).

Also another way other than the "E" if you think you have a revised pack that is not marked "E" but is Summer... If the white space at the back of the pack on the bottom is large enough you could press down to check the bottom of the last card and see either the full 1994 date or worst case view part of the shifted artist name in the white space near the center - if that makes sense.

And no I did not know if the packs were fully searched or not by T&T or prior but I took their word for it and did pretty good pulling that BOP. But really the true value is in having a sealed Summer booster (searched or not) since they are practically extinct. Looking back I probably should not have cracked those other 2 boosters #-o

I think I will be holding on to my last one for a while.

Hayden
Librarities Legend

Post by Hayden » Fri Jun 15, 2012 4:30 am

kidicarus2000 wrote:
:-D I like your watermark [-X

Hayden
Librarities Legend

Post by Hayden » Fri Jun 15, 2012 4:32 am

Ertai's Familiar wrote:Sexy!

FWIW Hayden is a champ and an excellent gentleman to deal with.
Thanks, it feels good finally doing my part to contribute to other great collectors like the lot of you. =D>

NeRo
Librarities Legend

Post by NeRo » Fri Jun 15, 2012 10:58 am

It is actually pretty cool that you can confirm a Summer pack being Summer without opening it.
Thanks for all that detailed info and my congratulations to Icarus for those insane pickups!

Today's arrival:

With Berkumps telling me what his set sold for I just had to get it even if I will just end up reselling it 8-[

random
Librarities Legend

Post by random » Fri Jun 15, 2012 8:04 pm

And no I did not know if the packs were fully searched or not by T&T or prior but I took their word for it
BITD I picked up a Beta booster and Arabians on site at a tourney and opened Tundra and Juzam (when djinn was probably the best pull you could get)- T&T is honest imo when they say unsearched. Of course I open a Lifelace or something and I'd always be skeptical... funny how that works;)

sdematt
Librarities Hero

Post by sdematt » Sat Jun 16, 2012 5:02 am

Of course this is probably private, but Paul, how much did you pay for the packs from T and T years ago? It's none of my business what you and Preston agreed on, but I'd be interested in seeing what they were worth X years ago.

If I remember, last time I saw them on their site, they were 1.5k or something, but my memory could easily be faulty.

-Matt
"I'm your Huckleberry"

Collector of Beta/Alpha Dual Lands

GlobalBoosterHunter
Legendary Aussie Booster Hunter

Post by GlobalBoosterHunter » Sat Jun 16, 2012 9:49 am

Last time I saw them on eBay was back in '05 or there abouts. They were up for $4,000.

I thought it was a typo.

That was the first time I heard about Summer, I was playing but not collecting boosters at the time.

Going by the average sales of Kidicarus on eBay we worked out an average booster to be worth around $4,000 in cards alone. The tricky bit was working out the premium for a sealed product, what with them being so rare.

In the end I payed $8,000, (unless you are from the tax office, in which case it was a gift)

It was a lot and easily as much as I have paid for the rest of the booster collection in total, however I hope it holds its value (actually it should go up as there is now one less on the market)

No idea what Preston paid or whether he got a discount for taking the P3K but it is just as well his Alpha auctions went well !

NeRo
Librarities Legend

Post by NeRo » Sat Jun 16, 2012 10:26 am

GlobalBoosterHunter wrote:In the end I payed $8,000, (unless you are from the tax office, in which case it was a gift)
8-[

How do you feel about your purchase? Perfectionism etc aside ... do you think it was worth the money you paid?
It feels a little weird to me that you talk about it keeping its momentarily value or even raise in value ...

GlobalBoosterHunter
Legendary Aussie Booster Hunter

Post by GlobalBoosterHunter » Sat Jun 16, 2012 12:55 pm

NeRo wrote:
GlobalBoosterHunter wrote:In the end I payed $8,000, (unless you are from the tax office, in which case it was a gift)
8-[

How do you feel about your purchase? Perfectionism etc aside ... do you think it was worth the money you paid?
It feels a little weird to me that you talk about it keeping its momentarily value or even raise in value ...
Once you get over the initial reluctance and rationalise the purchase (I don't drink or smoke and my wife just bought some more shoes...that sort of thing) you just add the booster to the set and look for the next one.

I never think about the cost or what I have spent on the collection so far or what I have to spend (by my calculations I am going to need at least 35 more albums @16 EUR each + postage and all the collector pages, another 32 packs at 11 EUR each + postage)

The pack is not perfect, but it will do until someone finds an unopened box. I am a completionist though and the set would never be complete without it. (This was before I went global, I can't see that ever being complete but I can always work on it)

All it needs to go up in value is one person to want one, with only a handful known, and all of those in strong hands, people are going to have to meet the sellers price or go without, there is not much shopping around for the best price with these items. An unknown-about box surfacing might bring the prices down, 36 brand new unsearched mint boosters would be very competitive!

Other than that they are rare and will stay that way. A lot of things will sell before I have to sell the booster so really I have no need to sell the booster for less than what I bought it for.

I probably wouldn't buy a second one though, unless it was mint, then the original would be sold to recoup some of the cost!