Mail Brag!

Everything else about Magic.

Moderators: cataclysm80, hammr7, l0qii, Apocalypse2K, berkumps, dragsamou, mystical_tutor, pp

CHaPuZaS
Legendary Spanish Trash Hoarder

Post by CHaPuZaS » Thu Sep 20, 2012 12:20 am

Will you add Canadian to the set? I haven't decided yet, though I have put them aside. They are a rarity, so they will end getting a spot in my colection too.

@Sdematt: Those are just boosters in English (?) language, but in the back they clearly show "made in canada".

GlobalBoosterHunter
Legendary Aussie Booster Hunter

Post by GlobalBoosterHunter » Thu Sep 20, 2012 3:39 am

I am counting the Canadians as a variety and keeping them seperate for the moment.

Other varieties include pre-release boosters (but not Faction boosters). these will also be kept to one side as I have no idea when they started releasing these varieties and if they are available for all pre releases.

My justification is that the cards inside are in English, so they are an English set. However the wrapper has French writing on it so it is a wrapper variation.

If I knew when they were first brought out I would be able to integrate the Canadians into the series but as I do not know when they started I would have to shuffle everything along a couple of pages each time a new booster is found, or just assume they have always been here and have gaps in the collection which will never be filled...it will get messy!

Once I have catalogued everything I will know how many boosters need to be added to the collection to make it complete. My main concern is numbering the Boosters for ease of reference, e.g. 'Booster 1' would be Alpha, booster 2 would be Beta, booster 3 would be Unlimited, you get the picture anyway, easy enough to add Canadian Boosters as Booster 1C, 2C, 3C etc. However if I go back and decide to add Canadians in then all the boosters will have to be renumbered.

At present Berkumps is picking up a few odds and ends for me (Thanks!) but I haven't committed to buying every new set in Canadian as yet. I have however found that a set of Avacyn Restored that I bought as part of a larger booster lot is in fact Canadian and not American as I thought when buying it. Good job I have CHaPuZaS setting aside the English language version for me.

I am pretty sure I have some Canadians going back to Saviours but I will have to look harder at all my spares.

mystical_tutor
Legendary Old Fart Magic Player

Post by mystical_tutor » Thu Sep 20, 2012 4:57 pm

If you really are going to number them without complete information (a common problem for MTG collectors) you are truly in for a rough time. Just be thankful that your binders have removable pages.

A very small point and certainly one that may not be worth considering, "Alpha" and "Beta" are not different sets. They are parts of "First Edition-limited". This is a common perception resulting in them being seperated when, from a strict order of things they should be together (like 1a and 1b). It also makes it much more tidy when you get to 4th edition + and the numbering matches the edition.

Your collection, your call, just saying......

Gary
Gary Adkison
Father of a former Wizards of the Coast janitor.

Knowledge is proud because it thinks it knows so much; wisdom is humble because it realizes it knows so little.

thulnanth
Librarities Legend

Post by thulnanth » Thu Sep 20, 2012 10:57 pm

Yeah Gary, glad I'm not the only one who does that!!!

I refer to the sets all the time as "1st Edition, 2nd Edition, 3rd Edition, etc." and get asked what I mean. When I call Alpha/Beta 1st and Unlimited 2nd, I inevitably get "corrected" about my set numbering.

...sigh... when did everyone else get so young? :-D

Take it easy,
Jared
Ray Thiel (1964-2007) - the man who showed me more wonderful games & gaming sessions than I ever dreamed possible... you ran out of hit points too young, my friend.

GlobalBoosterHunter

Post by GlobalBoosterHunter » Fri Sep 21, 2012 1:16 am

mystical_tutor wrote: A very small point and certainly one that may not be worth considering, "Alpha" and "Beta" are not different sets. They are parts of "First Edition-limited". This is a common perception resulting in them being seperated when, from a strict order of things they should be together (like 1a and 1b). It also makes it much more tidy when you get to 4th edition + and the numbering matches the edition.

Gary
I agree with that, there will need to be a lot of thought put into the numbering system anyway, it might not even end up with numbers just a combination of expansion/series, language, picture on front, variety.

As I wouldn't want a seperate system for core sets and expansions then Fourth ed probably wouldn't be numbered 4 anyway.

In banknotes you have your 'Pick numbers' and each country starts from 1 and works its way up. I guess this way if you find a new Russian Booster it only effects the Russian numbering system.

I like 1a and 1b for Alpha and Beta though, (though it should be 1 and 1a conventionaly) 2 for Unlimited and 3 for Revised. 3a for Summer? or would you have Summer as 4?

Lots of things to consider! And that's before you get to the foreign editions, did Portuguese come out before or after Spanish, or at the same time, in which case do you go alphabetical?

May have to start a thread to get some ideas...

caquaa
Librarities Legend

Post by caquaa » Fri Sep 21, 2012 7:14 am

GlobalBoosterHunter wrote: May have to start a thread to get some ideas...
you could just not drive yourself insane and simply label them by set instead of figuring out a numbering scheme.

thulnanth
Librarities Legend

Post by thulnanth » Fri Sep 21, 2012 11:13 pm

caquaa wrote:you could just not drive yourself insane and simply label them by set instead of figuring out a numbering scheme.
Nah... we're Magic collectors... by definition we're only happy when we're driving ourselves insane :-P

Take it easy,
Jared
Ray Thiel (1964-2007) - the man who showed me more wonderful games & gaming sessions than I ever dreamed possible... you ran out of hit points too young, my friend.

gzeiger
Librarities Legend

Post by gzeiger » Sat Sep 22, 2012 1:35 am

I think I would organize them by language - have a Portuguese binder, or at least a section, for example, so you don't need to worry about how to prioritize it vs Spanish but you can readily reference all the Portuguese products from the very beginning.

Alien_Starfighter_Pilot
Legendary Lost Ace of Atlantis

Post by Alien_Starfighter_Pilot » Sat Sep 22, 2012 4:36 am

GlobalBoosterHunter wrote: And that's before you get to the foreign editions, did Portuguese come out before or after Spanish, or at the same time, in which case do you go alphabetical?

May have to start a thread to get some ideas...
no need for a thread. Portuguese and Spanish were both released about the same time (both 4th BB/WB). Using information from both loquii and Berkumps I compiled a chart showing the cards as they were released. check out the link to my Card name database. I need to update the database to reflect the most recent sets, but for the most part the set information is accurate.

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/ccc ... n_US#gid=0

(p.s. I still need some help with getting some information for certain card sets!)

Good luck!

Clay

GlobalBoosterHunter

Post by GlobalBoosterHunter » Sat Sep 22, 2012 10:25 am

gzeiger wrote:I think I would organize them by language - have a Portuguese binder, or at least a section, for example, so you don't need to worry about how to prioritize it vs Spanish but you can readily reference all the Portuguese products from the very beginning.
I did think about that, it would make life a lot easier!

However it does look nice to have all the same boosters on the same page so you can see the differences between them all.

Plus being an ex-scientist and collector I have an innate desire to categorise everything.

Mark

mystical_tutor

Post by mystical_tutor » Sat Sep 22, 2012 3:52 pm

I go along with Jared on this. We must be a little wacky just be collectors.

Another proclivity that we have is that we do things the way they seem logical to us--thus a lot of variety.

My inclination is to list printings differently. Thus 4th Ed Spanish has two editions, Limited and unlimited (just like the first and second edition of the basic set).

On the other hand, Summer is a hard one to deal with. It was officially recalled, does not represent the company (by their determination) and should not even be considered a regular set. Thus a subset variation is appropriate but only as any other misprint--not as an edition). USA 4th edition was integrated with regular 4th ed and not a separate edition thus it also would need a subset designation.

In all this you have to go with what feels best for you and use all this hype as "guidelines".

Gary
Gary Adkison

Knowledge is proud because it thinks it knows so much; wisdom is humble because it realizes it knows so little.

Kalle
Librarities Legend

Post by Kalle » Mon Sep 24, 2012 12:44 pm

Uncommon set is improving, thanks mainly to Trevor! :)

Kalle, Il
Italian collector, player and judge

mmgun
Legendary Tyypo Hunter

Post by mmgun » Sat Oct 06, 2012 10:27 pm

Finally after 3 years of tracking and mailing i finished my quest
for a foil portuguese Braids Cabal Minion:

I got this card directly from Brazil and i will send some more research request to this nice guy.
So if you are looking for some certain portuguese treasures for ages,
PM me with your price range and i can forward the request.

These cards i aquired during the last months:
This Transcandence is another hard to find error that only exist in foil version. Karakas is heavy top crimped and Yavimaya Hollow is shifted.

And finally a very weird misprinted or even mismade backside ( M11 Rare).
The Paper is partially loose but connects on top, the light paper part got printed with one color, then folded and printed from the other side with other color.

Last edited by mmgun on Mon Oct 08, 2012 1:00 pm, edited 2 times in total.

mystical_tutor

Post by mystical_tutor » Sun Oct 07, 2012 12:48 am

I would like to get the Portugese Warthog and the Skulking ghost to complete the pages that berkumps is sending me.

They are not normaly expensive cards but I am willing to pay whatever is reasonable plus postage and stuff.

Gary
Gary Adkison

Doymecca

Post by Doymecca » Sun Oct 07, 2012 5:30 am

mmgun, if you ever decide to get rid of that karakas, please let me know :) thx