Mail Brag!

Everything else about Magic.

Moderators: cataclysm80, hammr7, l0qii, Apocalypse2K, berkumps, dragsamou, mystical_tutor, pp

Magic61983
Librarities Legend

Post by Magic61983 » Thu Jan 14, 2010 4:22 pm

Gryfalia wrote:
Magic61983 wrote:There's a lot of sealed product out there. There's even summer sealed boxes out there from what I've heard and there worth 100k+
Besides 'it was in a case with other Summer boxes that we DID open', how would one possibly know? (and the case method involves trusting the person involved).
Because an old wizard employee has 2 of them. I believe someone else on the forums can confirm this who's actually talked to the person about it.
BGS 9+ Alpha set 282/295 (97.29%) Avg 9.41
BGS 9.5+ Beta set 283/302 (93.71%) Avg 9.58
BGS 9.5+ Arabian set 35/92 (38.04%) Avg 9.62
BGS 9.5+ Antiquities set 82/100 (82%) Avg 9.64
BGS 9.5+ Legends set 279/310 (90.00%) Avg 9.61

berkumps
Legendary AA Coffin Puppet Master

Post by berkumps » Thu Jan 14, 2010 5:46 pm

l0qii wrote:What are those first 2 things?
Front and back scans of an old Mana Source life counter.

yvel
Librarities Legend

Post by yvel » Fri Jan 15, 2010 3:40 pm

Magic61983 wrote:Beta boxes are roughly 16k and I don't think many people would want to spend 450 a pack just to draft considering your not guaranteed a rare in every pack.
I don't remember when, but a draft has been set-up by wizards during a GP. It was 350€ to registrer. when booster has been opened, all cards were sleeved.
As far as I remember a mox has been opened.

By the way, a Beta draft is not funny.

yawg07
Legendary Chairman of Altered Art

Post by yawg07 » Fri Jan 15, 2010 5:01 pm

Beta Ironman-Draft is where it's at >:3

BTW Those Chinese Dragons? SICK AS HELL!!!!!
I know this is small, but it is so full of awesome ...

shaselai1
Librarities Hero

Post by shaselai1 » Fri Jan 15, 2010 5:04 pm

what chinese dragons?

ritnecrowin
Librarities Legend

Post by ritnecrowin » Fri Jan 15, 2010 6:22 pm

-Thread Jack-
Here is Dave Williams Beta Draft report from the GP:
Ok So I bust out of the GP with the worst piece of shit sealed deck ever and one of the local KC dealers ask me if I want to play in a Beta draft on Sunday. He says its $1200 and we keep what we draft and 5 packs will be given as prizes (3 for first, 2 for second). All of the packs are coming from a "unsearched box". I was unsure if I wanted to do it, but felt that I would be insanely jealous if I passed up on this what could be once in a lifetime experience, while watching some random guys do it. I also got dreams of cracking all sorts of black bordered goodness for my decks.

So Sunday rolls around and I jump in the "Guaranteed Mox" tourney that is supposed to start at 11am. At Noon there are only 7 players signed up and I don't think it's going to go. I sleveed up the mono blue tez deck with Ophidians to test it out. Seemed like a good deck to play in a Swiss +1 (what a shitty format) tournament. I wanted to play 5 wastelands and felt like it had good game against Dredge, which was sure to be a force.

Sure enough I get paired against one of the two Dredge decks round 1 and while I am smashing him Demars walks up. Since it's unsanctioned they let him in against the guy who was told he has a bye (talk about a bad beat). I win the first round and get informed the Beta draft is starting at 2pm with or without me. I would have to drop from this seemingly easy Mox.

Chris Benafel also got in the draft and Scott Lipp. There were no other players that I had seen before. One was the TO from the GP and another was a door prize for someone that didn't make day 2.

They passed out the freshest, crispest looking packs I've ever seen and everyone was surrounding the table. We agreed to sleeve the pack when we opened it and pass sleeved cards, they provided the sleeves. The guy on my left cracks a Mox Jet and everyone goes crazy. The guy on my right, a Bayou. I on the other hand open...Kormus Bell. I decided that if I didn't open a sick valued card or something I would play in Vintage (Sol Ring, D Tutor, Mana Vault) that I would just try and draft a sick deck to win. I took a Channel. The pack was terrible, I might play a Beta Channel in some deck in the future and I might crack a Fireball or Disintegrate FTW!

I got passed a few red or green creatures, Grizzly Bears, Craw Wurms but nothing really exciting for value or draft wins. I don't remember what I open pack two but that should say enough. I took another Craw Wurm and noone got excited about opening anything else sick. This pack was a disaster for me as it seemed like everyone had opened so many lands, in just right combination that everyone got a playable except when it got to me there was nothing left. In fact, the guy 6 to my left opened a pack with 10 lands in it, so that when I picked it up for my 6th pick, there was 10 lands staring at me. I was hurting on playables. Pack 3 I opened an Illusionary Mask. I know this is sometimes played and worth about $100+ but there was also a Fire Elemental. 5/4 for 3RR. I felt this guy would be super hard to deal with and really wanted to win 3 packs so I shipped the Mask. I got more of nothing and was very disapointed with my draft. I had some big meaty monsters and felt that with good draws I could win.

During deck building I saw Scott Lipps deck and OMG! Shivan Dragon, Fireball, Disintegrate, Lightning Bolt, 3 Drain Life, 2 Dark Ritual, Hypnotic Specter! And he was on my side of the bracket playing Chris Benafel. I knew that they were both my friends so if I could win my first round I could probably get a split out of either one to guarantee me one pack. I just had to make sure to not show anyone how miserable my deck was or complain about it so that they would split.

My round one opponent beat me two quick games where I just drew nothing and he drew two Tim's and Powersinked or Spellblasted everything I played that was relevant, following it up with a game winning Fireball. I was down 0-2 in a best of 5 and was whining like a bitch. I was so sick I paid $1200 for this miserable experience and no good cards. The guy that cracked the Mox Jet walked over and had won in 10 min, 3-0. How lucky, a Mox Jet, a Badlands, and a first round win! I also saw that the TO had a sick black red deck with a Disk, the Mask, Demonic Tutor, Nightmare and some other sick cards, and wasn't sleeving cause "he was old-school!". Everywhere I looked, everyone had sick decks, with sick cards and lots of cool stuff... I had Craw Wurms, what a joke. Back to the slaughter at hand.

Chris and Scott were in an epic battle and I knew I had to win 3 straight games and not whine loud enough to where they could hear how bad my deck was to get a pack of Beta. I got my act together and drew lots of Elves and Wild Growths to power out some quick Craw Wurm action. Everyone had quit watching my match after I was down 0-2 but 10 min later it was all even. Going to the last game my opponent choose to play and mulliganed to 6. He was stuck on 3 Mountains in his UGr deck. I was fortunate to have turn 3 Llanowar and turn 5 Craw Wurm. He had a tell and I figured out he had a Fireball in hand but only 4 lands, so next turn I put Holy Strength on it to raise the toughness. (Yes I had a RG deck splashing 2 Holy Strengths and two COPs, I had drafted a Veduran Enchantress and was short on playables. I also had 2 Wild Growths and Regeneration in my deck so she wasn't that bad). The next turn I put another Holy Strength on it and my 8/8 Wurm went the distance.

Chris beat Scott in the sickest game ever and we did a split. Then I actually got up on him 2-1, but my deck's true colors came through and he came back and beat me 3-2. It's fine because I was actually going to conceed to him if I was winning for a bigger portion of the split since he had a better deck by far. In the end he beat the guy that opened the Mox Jet in the finals.

So we had 3 packs to work with, but his actually went to Noah Boeken from Amsterdam, who is staying at my house right now and flew to the GP with me. Everyone wanted us to open our packs and since we felt it would be hard to sell them because noone would believe we didn't search them we agreed to pack war. We also felt that a box is 36 packs, and there are approx 100 different rares and 9 pieces of power. Assuming an even distribution (yeah I know, shit was fucked up back then, bad assumption), there should be about 3 pieces per box. Since the draft consumed 24 packs and there were 12 left and only one Mox opened we liked our chances. We pack warred while people went crazy watching us open Beta packs and got more shit rares. So we each bought another pack at $400 and did it again. I won the war, but there was nothing again. Well the excitement of the crowd got to us and I had stopped thinking logically and we bought a second pack each! Again, I won the war and the only thing exciting I got was a Fork (if you can even call it that). Not even any good uncommons or anything. Well everyone was going nuts, and we just couldn't help ourselves (it didn't hurt that Noah had just beaten Sam Stein for $3600 in a money draft) and we got two of the last three packs. Well, again I won the pack war but the best thing was an Icy Manipulator. So we each spent $1200 for 3 more packs each after our $1200 to draft and all we had to show for it was a Fork, an Icy Manipulator and some other random junk. Noah still had one pack left and he went ahead and bought the last pack from the dealer for one last chance at glory but all we got was a Web and a Nightmare for rares, but at least there was a Berserk. I sold everything that I won off Noah in the pack wars and my draft cards for 200 bucks and the Demonic Tutor the TO opened and shuffled sleeveless (surprisingly it was in great shape) .

All in all, between the draft and our random cracking, we opened 34 packs (the 2nd place guy took off with his two) and someone else got a Mox, 3 people got Dual Lands (no blue ones) and we got Web. Together me and Noah spent (or shall I say wasted) $5200. All I can say was that it was NOT worth it. Beta packs just suck and there are waaaaay too many lands to make it even fun to draft. A pack having 10 land is a joke. 3 packs had Island as rare. For $5200 I could have bought Beta Power, granted it wouldn't have been pack mint, it would have been better than Fork.

I hope you enjoyed my report. What I want you to take from this is if you ever have this opportunity, pass! It's really just not worth it at $400 a pack even if you have a sudden windfall of extra cash. I left feeling very letdown and disappointed. I think the only way I wouldn't have been would have been to open a Lotus and even though I'm sure that would have been exhilarating, financially, even that's not worth it.

I wish I had just stayed in the 8 man Mox tournament. I'm sure if I had won my first piece of power (even if it was a played white-bordered Pearl) I would have felt 100x more satisfaction than burning money on the "rare" Island.

NeRo
Librarities Legend

Post by NeRo » Tue Jan 19, 2010 12:03 pm

quite ... some kind of ... unsatisfying story ...

Please dont hang me for posting non foil non summer cards !

todays stuff :)

berkumps

Post by berkumps » Tue Jan 19, 2010 2:07 pm

Korean IGGY, nice!

mtgsolring
Librarities Hero

Post by mtgsolring » Tue Jan 19, 2010 3:22 pm

today's mail !

which means my dual project is "going on nicely" (doesn't sound very correct ^^)

"if u don't know jack, u don't know jorma !"

Gryfalia
Legendary Epic Store Owner

Post by Gryfalia » Tue Jan 19, 2010 10:16 pm

Sadly I've been sending OUT a bunch my cool stuff. I think I've sold about $800 in Korean cards in the past 10 days..;-) I mean, I have them for the purpose of selling them, but it still hurts to ship off my last Korean wastelands and intuitions.
He's just this guy, ya know?

misterpid
Legendary World's Toughest Milkman

Post by misterpid » Wed Jan 20, 2010 2:05 am

Got some mail today, nothing too major. 2 boxes of the Alara block foil packs - enough packs to do a draft.
Athough I'm not really sure when that will happen.

Always looking for:
Legends Presence of the Master (English or Italian)
Dark Sorrow's Path (English or Italian)
Non-English Contract From Below.

berkumps

Post by berkumps » Thu Jan 21, 2010 12:30 am

Got in a bunch of Korean sealed. I must say I do enjoy opening Korean product. Seems the only language that is +EV to do so.

All pack fresh goodness!

kmzandrew
Librarities Member

Post by kmzandrew » Thu Jan 21, 2010 12:48 am

Korean cards look so damn good. I should have a bunch coming in soon thanks to ebay and gryfalia :-D

Sadly I haven't had much interesting mail recently. All I've been doing is shipping out beta duals.

NeRo
Librarities Legend

Post by NeRo » Thu Jan 21, 2010 1:02 pm

korean tempest seems to be especially nice for opening as wastelands are uncommon ... and the other staples obv.

nice stuff overall of cause ... =P~

bertie312
Librarities Hero

Yesss

Post by bertie312 » Thu Jan 21, 2010 2:36 pm

Just got 2 more ^^ Cool :-D