Mail Brag!

Everything else about Magic.

Moderators: cataclysm80, hammr7, l0qii, Apocalypse2K, berkumps, dragsamou, mystical_tutor, pp

GlobalBoosterHunter
Legendary Aussie Booster Hunter

Post by GlobalBoosterHunter » Sat Sep 01, 2012 1:47 pm

Nice poker deck, I really must try harder to get hold of one of those, I would never play with it though.

mystical_tutor
Legendary Old Fart Magic Player

Post by mystical_tutor » Sat Sep 01, 2012 3:34 pm

Well, this one is sealed so I am still looking for another, maybe slightly used, to put in pages so the cards can be seen.

Gary

sdematt
Librarities Hero

Post by sdematt » Mon Sep 03, 2012 4:18 am

AP brag, but also no idea what it's worth:

Friend picked it up. Seems pretty cool to me! :P

-Matt
"I'm your Huckleberry"

Collector of Beta/Alpha Dual Lands

notsofasteddie
Librarities Legend

Post by notsofasteddie » Mon Sep 03, 2012 4:27 pm

Do you have a picture of the picture across the backs of the nine (9) AP's? That could make the Tabernacles very, very special!

sdematt
Librarities Hero

Post by sdematt » Mon Sep 03, 2012 6:38 pm

"I'm your Huckleberry"

markers
Legendary Signed Card collector

Post by markers » Fri Sep 07, 2012 9:59 am

I FINALLY (nearly a month) got my largest Ebay-Haul in quite some time.

The sigs on the Alpha cards are insanely difficult to find...

I hope you enjoy them (I certainly will :-D )...

Signed card collector

Alpha - AL, ST, EX, UD, REV, UNL, LO & MO: 100% signed
Grand Total signed cards: >43'000

I have a Youtube Channel

gzeiger
Librarities Legend

Post by gzeiger » Mon Sep 10, 2012 4:33 pm

Here's a weird one. I have two; both from the same Wizards insider. It's likely they were pulled from the line prior to packaging, so the rest of the sheet may or may not exist. I'm uncertain how the diagonal cut happened, but the two are identical. I'm also not sure why there appears to be another green border starting just before the edge of the sheet.

hammr7
Librarities Legend

Post by hammr7 » Mon Sep 10, 2012 5:49 pm

The diagonal cut (and perhaps some of the other cuts) seem a bit on the rough side. But the cards appear to have been completely printed. So the "problem" likely originated at the cutting station.

My guess would be that when the printed sheets went to the card-cutting operation, the machine grabbed two sheets (like the way your computer printer sometimes grabs a second sheet of paper).

The pressure on the cutting knives is usually optimized to cleanly cut a single sheet at a time while minimizing damage to any underlying surface and minimizing cutting edge wear. These adjustments optimize the amount of time the cutting machine can run before the knife edges or strike plates need to be replaced.

So the cutting edges would not do as clean a job when trying to cut two sheets at a time. If a second sheet was grabbed the top sheet could start to rotate, since it is on a slippery sheet and not on rubber guide rolls, as the bottom sheet would be. The result would be the possibility of a rougher, vertical cut. Employees are supposed to remove any less-than-perfect cards. Your insider obviously did.

gzeiger
Librarities Legend

Post by gzeiger » Mon Sep 10, 2012 11:03 pm

That makes sense, but I think I may have been unclear. Both cards I have are the same piece of Gorilla Pack, which makes me suspect that it may have been intentional. This was a long time before there was much market for error cards though, so the motive is unclear. If it was an accident, why not save a better card than this?

mystical_tutor

Post by mystical_tutor » Tue Sep 11, 2012 4:01 pm

I have noticed over the years that there were a number of "not perfect" cards that came out in the early days. But it didn't seem to be for profit so much as just a friendly "oddities" thing. That seemed to change as time passed...LOL.

I do not personally know of anyone that deliberately removed stuff from CM but I keep hearing stories.

Gary

gzeiger
Librarities Legend

Post by gzeiger » Wed Sep 12, 2012 12:26 am

The source of these was a Wizards employee (the same as the recent source of German/French test prints as some of you may know), not a Carta Mundi guy, but often you see this sort of oddity in the hands of Wizards people. One guy had a fistful of what might be described as miscut filler 018s - blank white foils showing a quarter to a half inch of unfoiled white cardboard from the edge of the sheet.

GlobalBoosterHunter

Post by GlobalBoosterHunter » Tue Sep 18, 2012 9:50 am

Well most of my stuff is smuggled into the house so there is no time to photograph it but I got a package last week or so and two turned up today!

Not that exciting but 33 packs of collector pages turned up, the new housing for 1980 boosters, I have spent waaaay too much on these and now I have to buy another 30 albums to put them in.

Also arrived are my Canadian flags to match the other countries.

And some boosters arrived from Japan...thanks Clay

mystical_tutor

Post by mystical_tutor » Tue Sep 18, 2012 4:09 pm

Ooops, reminds me of a small pile I need to send you... sorry.

Gary

GlobalBoosterHunter

Post by GlobalBoosterHunter » Wed Sep 19, 2012 1:11 am

mystical_tutor wrote:Ooops, reminds me of a small pile I need to send you... sorry.

Gary
Up until yesterday I would have had nowhere to put them!

As it is I have boxes and boxes of boosters to scan and put in their respective places. I don't mind waiting a bit longer!

But you will have to pick out a few you want from my list so I can set them aside for you!

sdematt
Librarities Hero

Post by sdematt » Wed Sep 19, 2012 5:32 pm

Are the Canadian packages different somehow? I've never really noticed.

-Matt
"I'm your Huckleberry"