show your original magic art

Everything else about Magic.

Moderators: cataclysm80, hammr7, l0qii, Apocalypse2K, berkumps, dragsamou, mystical_tutor, pp

bronty

Post by bronty » Tue Apr 19, 2011 2:27 am

effai wrote:And how do you store/frame your arts ? Are they materials to avoid ?
if its a piece you like you should always put uv glass on it (97% filter) at least and museum glass (over 99% uv filter) for the real nice pieces.

The museum glass is expensive but its a real nice product.

Obviously any mats and so on should be archival.

For unframed stuff I just storage them in boxes made out of archival board.

Seraph2k

Post by Seraph2k » Sat Apr 30, 2011 11:54 am

Important piece for my global set:

Arrived a few minutes ago. It is so beautiful!!!

caquaa
Librarities Legend

Post by caquaa » Sat Apr 30, 2011 12:15 pm

Seraph2k wrote:Important piece for my global set
Arrived a few minutes ago. It is so beautiful!!!
Grats. Very very nice. I had intended to do something similar w/ essence warden when I got my tax return. When I got my tax return the piece had sold shortly before then, so I think someone had a similar idea.

James_Hetfield2
Librarities Member

Post by James_Hetfield2 » Sun May 01, 2011 4:35 pm

Some very nice pieces!

I collect AN Aladdin's Lamps and I figured the original art would be impossible to track down. Lo and behold its on eBay

http://cgi.ebay.com/ORIGINAL-ART-ARABIA ... 1828947649

but $1700 seems too high :(

berkumps
Legendary AA Coffin Puppet Master

Post by berkumps » Sun May 01, 2011 4:55 pm

James_Hetfield2 wrote:AN Aladdin's Lamp...original art...$1700 seems too high :(
If only you were able to get it from Tedin directly before he dealt with D.Chang.

Magik321
Legendary Infernal Contract Collector

Post by Magik321 » Sun May 01, 2011 6:36 pm

berkumps wrote:
James_Hetfield2 wrote:AN Aladdin's Lamp...original art...$1700 seems too high :(
If only you were able to get it from Tedin directly before he dealt with D.Chang.
I personally don't really like the way he operates, and I'm unsure whether others feel the same way as I do. Their prices are rather ridiculous on some of their cards. It makes me wonder if they will even move them. A friend of mine bought a card from them that came inked (fairly obvious inking) and damaged, definitely not as described. I wonder how for a seller who supposely send tons of cards in for grading would actually misgrade a card by this much, and it was a ~$200 card.

The way they jack up prices of stuff coming from artists doesn't really go well with me either. Then again I don't know what the agreement was with the artists, so the artists could possibly be better off with the agreement and thats good for them. It seems to me the end users are the ones that end up paying a lot more now.

My 2 cents.

Ertai's Familiar
Librarities Legend

Post by Ertai's Familiar » Sun May 01, 2011 7:13 pm

berkumps wrote:
D.Chang is a gentleman and scholar among Magic The Gathering collectors. For HIGH Grade Magic cards and paraphernalia he is the go to source for extremely dumb people. :wink:
squt: Sweet! That's the best trade - one that doesn't cost a thing.

pickle.69: NO DRINK ON THE FUCKING TABLE

James_Hetfield2
Librarities Member

Post by James_Hetfield2 » Sun May 01, 2011 7:53 pm

I've heard the same sort of stories from others.

For the PSA "expert" strange so many people are disappointed with their cards.

Why the piece of art I want ](*,)

Ertai's Familiar
Librarities Legend

Post by Ertai's Familiar » Sun May 01, 2011 8:20 pm

James_Hetfield2 wrote:I've heard the same sort of stories from others.

For the PSA "expert" strange so many people are disappointed with their cards.

Why the piece of art I want ](*,)
I'd try circumventing D. Chang if the piece isn't outright sold to him. Does he own it now or is he posting it like a Gallery for Mark? If that's the case I'd just offer Mark a realistic price and see what he says.
squt: Sweet! That's the best trade - one that doesn't cost a thing.

pickle.69: NO DRINK ON THE FUCKING TABLE

Seraph2k

Post by Seraph2k » Mon May 02, 2011 7:16 pm

Omg - I am very happy that I have now my unicorn. I hope you could get your card ..somehow... it is a really good feeling when you receive your original mtg artwork. Everyone else who bought original art can understand this feeling!

berkumps
Legendary AA Coffin Puppet Master

Post by berkumps » Mon May 02, 2011 7:33 pm

Seraph2k wrote:Omg - I am very happy that I have now my unicorn. I hope you could get your card ..somehow... it is a really good feeling when you receive your original mtg artwork. Everyone else who bought original art can understand this feeling!
I'm still debating on whether I want the original artwork for Drudge Skeletons. I would like the Everingham piece, which I'm sure she still has, and have heard she is fond of (which means the offer would have to be nice to get it), however I have such OCD, that if I purchased that, I would then want/need the Ian Miller version, the James Nelson version, and the Arnie Swekel version. I'm not sure I could justify 4 pieces, but who knows, maybe i'll bump into a cash windfall.

Seraph2k

Post by Seraph2k » Mon May 02, 2011 10:26 pm

If you buy one thats nice, but you don't need two... I think;)
Somehow you are right when I seen the progress (maybe a change)of our personalities. Example:
When I started with Whelps it was fun. After some time and collecting a lot of whelps I met Richard at German Nationals four years ago. He offered me a summer whelp for a nice price... at that time more then my most expensive card: a mox jet. I was not willing to pay that money.
Two years later my mind changed... To complete the set I was willing to pay the price for a summer whelp and I found it --> m global set was completed. I was sure I am finished with global. Then Ronom came.
After some time I was able to get the original art. This time I realized that buying the original is a rare chance to get it. So I bought it instantly!
What do we learn out of this things? Take your chance and get that original artwork! To see the original art every day is a very good feeling;)
(I hope this is not offtopic)

effai
Legendary Mahamoti Djinn Collector

Post by effai » Sat Jun 18, 2011 11:51 am

since I received the last pieces I was waiting for (thanks Alan-Cardguy :) ) , I'll post my small art collection (I started this year, let's hope the best is to come)

the first I got : a melissa benson color study

as a big fan of phil foglio, I had to get one. it's not his best, but it's the only one I could find

and as I like the hildebrandt brothers too,

and my favourite one

and finally, some arts from wayne england : tadaaaam

with a small zoom on the best one imo

NeRo
Librarities Legend

Post by NeRo » Sat Jun 18, 2011 2:29 pm

the complete command cycle is really amazing.
my compliments !!