Problem with WOTC Gatherer Search Engine

Everything else about Magic.

Moderators: cataclysm80, hammr7, l0qii, Apocalypse2K, berkumps, dragsamou, mystical_tutor, pp

notsofasteddie
Librarities Legend

Problem with WOTC Gatherer Search Engine

Post by notsofasteddie » Wed Aug 29, 2012 3:23 pm

Maybe it's just me, but I don't seem to be able to get the Artist selection option in the Advanced Gatherer on the Wizard's website to work. Other advanced searches (type, subtype) seem to work, but not Artist.

I select the artist by name (Thomas Denmark for example) click add and I don't get the selection criterion established.

Is this a problem with the WOTC search engine or are we looking at operator error #-o

psrex
Librarities Legend

Post by psrex » Wed Aug 29, 2012 3:34 pm

I can't get the Artist field to work either. I like how you get auto-completion suggestions with artist names, but even if I select one it still doesn't get added to the search criteria.

berkumps
Legendary AA Coffin Puppet Master

Post by berkumps » Wed Aug 29, 2012 4:10 pm

I have had this problem for at least 1-2 weeks. My workaround is just search one of their cards, and then click on their name. Best i could come up with until they've "fixed the glitch". Bonus points for knowing where that quote is from!

mmgun
Legendary Tyypo Hunter

Post by mmgun » Wed Aug 29, 2012 4:15 pm

for me the gatherer search never works properly , thats why i use magiccards.info

It also has Artist search.

notsofasteddie
Librarities Legend

Post by notsofasteddie » Wed Aug 29, 2012 4:58 pm

Yea, it's not operator error; boo, WOTC hasn't fixed it >:-(

Fixed the Glitch = Office Space (1999) =D>

I can't always come up with a card so the artist driven functionality is special, especially for a signed card collector, like me.

caquaa
Librarities Legend

Post by caquaa » Wed Aug 29, 2012 7:46 pm

well if you insist on gatherer you can just use the URl for artist search in the mean time

http://gatherer.wizards.com/Pages/Searc ... ed&artist=[ARTIST NAME]

just copy/paste and properly type in the artist name and you'll get your gatherer search. Ghetto, but effective.

mystical_tutor
Legendary Old Fart Magic Player

Post by mystical_tutor » Fri Aug 31, 2012 3:10 pm

Ya, I had to go to Magiccards.info too.

I am beginning to believe the contractors (assumption) that do the Gatherer are not highly motivated to make this either accurate or fully functional.

I have provided correctional information to them 3 times, made offers of assistance and suggestions.

They have never responded.

Probably mumbling something about "ain't in my contract"....

Gary

Edit to remove "never corrected anything". See my comment below.
Last edited by mystical_tutor on Sun Sep 02, 2012 7:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Alien_Starfighter_Pilot
Legendary Lost Ace of Atlantis

Post by Alien_Starfighter_Pilot » Sun Sep 02, 2012 11:17 am

mystical_tutor wrote:I am beginning to believe the contractors (assumption) that do the Gatherer are not highly motivated to make this either accurate or fully functional.

I have provided correctional information to them 3 times, made offers of assistance and suggestions.

They have not even responded, let alone corrected or updated anything.

Probably mumbling something about "ain't in my contract"....

Gary
Apparently they don't play or aren't passionate about the game. Shame Wizards hasn't contracted some collectors to maintain the Gatherer.

Keevy Bogsbury
Librarities Member

Post by Keevy Bogsbury » Sun Sep 02, 2012 1:02 pm

And here I had just assumed I was the only one who had issues trying to get it to work...

mystical_tutor

Post by mystical_tutor » Sun Sep 02, 2012 6:59 pm

Keevy Bogsbury wrote:And here I had just assumed I was the only one who had issues trying to get it to work...
At one time the artist search worked.

I forgot to ask, did you report it to WotC CS or use the link on the Gather page for input?

If so, what response did you get, if any.

To their credit, they did make a correction on the card Jushi Apprentice. They had Arnie Swekel as the artist for a really long time. A couple years ago I provided them with the correct information (Glen Angus) and a copy of a post from Arnie supporting that. Never heard back but noticed that it has been changed.

Gary

mystical_tutor

Post by mystical_tutor » Sun Sep 02, 2012 7:52 pm

Alien_Starfighter_Pilot wrote:Apparently they don't play or aren't passionate about the game. Shame Wizards hasn't contracted some collectors to maintain the Gatherer.
I sure am not qualified to comment on their player experience but it seems that their rules comments are much more "common sense" than so many I have come across and much more understandable than the DCI rules themselves. As far as "Help" tabs go, I think they have done a darn good job. Sure, there could be a lot more but there always can be in help sections.

How do they do on play legality? I don't keep up with the different formats and figure it would be a heck of a job to try and do that.

It is easy for me to throw a stone at them for not being collector oriented (or even collector sensitive) but with as much trouble as I have keeping up with the present stream [read flood] of special/promo cards I do have some sympathy for them.

Gary

notsofasteddie
Librarities Legend

Post by notsofasteddie » Sun Sep 02, 2012 9:07 pm

mystical_tutor wrote:
At one time the artist search worked.

I forgot to ask, did you report it to WotC CS or use the link on the Gather page for input?

If so, what response did you get, if any.

Gary
I provided input via the link of the Gatherer page and posted feedback in the Feedback on the Gatherer thread in the magicthegathering.com forum. I've heard nothing in return, but it has only been two (2) weeks. ](*,)

Worth
Librarities Legend

tks

Post by Worth » Mon Sep 03, 2012 7:38 am

I let the right people know, thanks guys.

Keevy Bogsbury
Librarities Member

Post by Keevy Bogsbury » Tue Sep 04, 2012 12:54 am

I never reported anything to WotC CS because I honestly just assumed it was something buggy on my end, like my browser or my connection or something. Glad to hear others here were on top of things though, even if their advice wasn't always taken.

notsofasteddie
Librarities Legend

Re: tks

Post by notsofasteddie » Tue Sep 04, 2012 1:06 am

Worth wrote:I let the right people know, thanks guys.
Good things happen when you get the right guy's attention!! =D>