Your Biggest YOLO MTG Purchase

Everything else about Magic.

Moderators: cataclysm80, hammr7, l0qii, Apocalypse2K, berkumps, dragsamou, mystical_tutor, pp

thulnanth
Librarities Legend

Post by thulnanth » Thu Sep 26, 2013 2:43 am

dragsamou wrote:
mystical_tutor wrote:My Corvette.
PS: Does your Corvette has a MTG Logo at least, cause subject is about "Your Biggest YOLO MTG Purchase"...You're such a Rebel Gary héhé
For when you absolutely have to to make it on time to draft night at your LGS... there's Corvette. :-P

Take it easy,
Jared
Ray Thiel (1964-2007) - the man who showed me more wonderful games & gaming sessions than I ever dreamed possible... you ran out of hit points too young, my friend.

ende73
Legendary Righteous Phoenix Mage

Post by ende73 » Thu Sep 26, 2013 10:07 am

random wrote:
I thought I was bad for buying a box of Revised a couple of years ago for $700.
They always seem WAY overpriced yet they keep going up...

I bought some BB German a few years ago and no Tundra, Underground... I got them for cheap (considering) and still not worth it. Unless there's some amazing draft value Revised is simply to buy, sit on, then flip when the prices inexplicably rise again...
This is exactly my thought... I always wondered why the price of that edition in sealed version is so high.

The only things you'll get cracking open a box are 3-4 WB duals, maybe a couple of Demonic Tutors and Sol Rings (if you're lucky) and a few WB Dark Rituals and Lightning Bolts... really not worth it !

Ok there's the Vintage factor, but then we aren't really seeing Fallen Empires or Ice Age doing the same.

I have always argued that maybe Summer Magic hunters interfere in this REV boxes market? Granted the chances are 1 in 1 million, but if you do hit an Edgar box then it's a real jackpot !

dragsamou
Administrator

Post by dragsamou » Thu Sep 26, 2013 11:56 am

ende73 wrote: I have always argued that maybe Summer Magic hunters interfere in this REV boxes market? Granted the chances are 1 in 1 million, but if you do hit an Edgar box then it's a real jackpot !
Yes Enrico, I agree with that, don't know if 1 in 1 Million is the correct ratio, but I'm positive that a day or another, there will be a serious winner, and there's less and less Revised Booster Boxes.
Want/Have Lists.
viewtopic.php?f=8&t=8903
viewtopic.php?f=7&t=1515
I Love you Dad.R.I.P.

Ertai's Familiar
Librarities Legend

Post by Ertai's Familiar » Thu Sep 26, 2013 2:33 pm

Bought a Mint set of Korean Foil Cavern of Souls. Paid a fair amount, hopefully they will be worth more in the long run.
squt: Sweet! That's the best trade - one that doesn't cost a thing.

pickle.69: NO DRINK ON THE FUCKING TABLE

ritnecrowin
Librarities Legend

Post by ritnecrowin » Thu Sep 26, 2013 5:37 pm

I way overpaid for the original art for Goblin Game IMHO... but being that I'm obsessed with it, I HAD to...completely drained my savings at the time and my wife and I were living paycheck to paycheck.
and I know I'd never get the investment back out of it if I sold, I somehow feel at ease knowing it's mine.... had I not bought it, I would have probably been driven to madness from trying to continue to track it down.

dry cereal
Legendary Part of a Complete Breakfast

Post by dry cereal » Thu Sep 26, 2013 6:35 pm

ah, the steep cost of sanity

OriginalMagicArt

Post by OriginalMagicArt » Tue Oct 01, 2013 12:53 pm

Last year (2012) at Gen Con I was playing in Vintage Champs. I lost hard in the first round and immediately headed over to the Artist Alley in search of art.

Mark Poole happened to have the original for Ancestral Visions for a good price, but more than I had ever spent on Magic art, and I snapped it up. YOLO and all that.

I coasted through the next few rounds secure in the fact that, no matter how well I did in the tournament, at least I had a good painting to go home with. Ended up 5-2, out of top 8, but at least it got me off tilt.

Default User
Librarities Hero

Post by Default User » Thu Oct 03, 2013 4:47 pm

2009 I finally got finnished on a mostly fbb dual set, purchasing a nm alpha Taiga. Then I got a nice tax return and started thinking a lot about turning the 32 foreign duals into english versions... I was also selling my now redundant revised copies away so I noted the revised price going up fast.

Next three months I spent about 9k$ (6k€ at the exchange rate at the time) to buy almost every decent looking alpha and beta dual land I was offered. In the end I was left with full set of 40 alpha and beta duals, some extras and nearly full set of fbb duals and very empty looking bank account. (I had also bought some nicer collections some months earlier, including several P9 sets and got myself a mixed alpha/beta P9-set, so I'd gone through about 20k$ in the year.)

Happily the revised duals dragged first a/b versions and then fbb versions up as I had hoped so I ended very happy with the purchase(s), but I had to step a bit carefully at home for a while, as package after package kept arriving and some had the prices in the customs declarations showing. Trying to tell my wife that I had 'invested' several thousands in cardboard... not the best part of the year.

I also bought half a box of French wb revised boosters in a quest to get a draft done on a lark, but never got around getting the last 8 boosters. At the point I was unhappy about having the money invested, as I had a lot of other needs, but when I found the boosters this summer cleaning my storage closet, I forgave myself the impulse buy that I did 4 years back.
Global old art Lightning Bolt collector, mainly missing fwb and Summer.

thulnanth
Librarities Legend

Post by thulnanth » Fri Oct 04, 2013 10:17 pm

Default User wrote:Happily the revised duals dragged first a/b versions and then fbb versions up as I had hoped so I ended very happy with the purchase(s), but I had to step a bit carefully at home for a while, as package after package kept arriving and some had the prices in the customs declarations showing. Trying to tell my wife that I had 'invested' several thousands in cardboard... not the best part of the year.
LOL... glad to see it wasn't just me who had this problem!!! :-P

Several years back I went through much the same thing. I was working crazy OT and went nuts picking up MtG stuff. I think over a 3 year period I dropped $30K on stuff. Finally life caught up to me - priorities changed and my job cut wayyy back. My current MtG budget is $25 a month... :-(

That being said I have no regrets. Much of the "expensive" stuff I got now goes for 2-10x what I paid. Sometimes for fun I go through my records and look at what I spent on certain cards, just to make me feel better. I could never afford any of it today, so I'm glad to have what I do!!!

... besides, most of it isn't even used in my Commander decks anyway. :-D

Take it easy,
Jared
Ray Thiel (1964-2007) - the man who showed me more wonderful games & gaming sessions than I ever dreamed possible... you ran out of hit points too young, my friend.

rkho

Post by rkho » Tue Oct 08, 2013 3:26 am

A couple of ones.

First are Ravnica MPS basics. Went on a binge buying nearly 400 of them, ranging between $8 and $18 a piece. Ended up spending over $5000 on these, and right now I'm looking to only keep 12 of each (240 total) for cubing purposes.

Also purchased some foil French Dark Confidants -- French is my preferred non-Asian language, and these were at a very attractive $125 a piece. Couldn't resist.

Last big thing would be a set of Japanese Tarmogoyfs at $135 a piece. Really good deal. Again, couldn't resist.

r3dd09

Post by r3dd09 » Thu Oct 10, 2013 9:13 pm

I've had a few moments. The first one that came to mind was at GP Denver this year. I went with the intention of picking up Beta duals. After only picking up one sea and a bayou. I wasn't happy enough.

sdematt and I went to a vendor, started talking if he'd cut us a deal. I talked about how it'd be cool to go home with power (I've never owned power at this point). That caught the dealers attention and said he'd work out a deal with me last.

Long story short, I ended up going home with a Beta Plateau, another beta dual ( can't remember what one) and a Beta lotus and Sapphire.

Pretty much YOLO for a few days, then a local offered me more than I paid on the power 9 and bought both pieces for me.

Next one that comes to mind was at GP Vegas this year. Again, going with the intention of picking up beta duals. Came across someone who was trying to sell a bunch of beta duals to a vendor. long story short, I got 2x signed seas, tundra, trop and a bayou.
Still walking around, came across someone who had lots of clean beta duals, but wanted way too much for them. Ended up getting a Savannah from him for a deal. This person introduced me to his buddy who had a very nice sea. My buddy picking that up from him, but it became mine back at the hotel.

I go back to the venue to meet with another dealer friend and he had a sea I desired and ended up picking that up as well.
So, Vegas was: +4 seas, +1 trop, tundra, savannah and a bayou. -1 plateau. Successful YOLO trip.
Last edited by r3dd09 on Thu Oct 10, 2013 9:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.

dragsamou
Administrator

Post by dragsamou » Thu Oct 10, 2013 9:25 pm

r3dd09 wrote:Successful YOLO trip.
:-D
Want/Have Lists.
viewtopic.php?f=8&t=8903
viewtopic.php?f=7&t=1515
I Love you Dad.R.I.P.

r3dd09

Post by r3dd09 » Thu Oct 10, 2013 9:51 pm

dragsamou wrote:
r3dd09 wrote:Successful YOLO trip.
:-D
Think of your YOLO purchase yet?

thulnanth
Librarities Legend

Post by thulnanth » Thu Oct 10, 2013 11:09 pm

r3dd09 wrote:This person introduced me to his buddy who had a very nice sea. My buddy picking that up from him, but it became mine back at the hotel.

"Became yours"????

Do we want to know how this happened? I'm suddenly having pictures of poor Dustin Hoffman in Marathon Man!!! :-O

Take it easy,
Jared

AXIOS
Legendary Fungusaur Collector

Post by AXIOS » Wed Nov 06, 2013 12:44 am

dragsamou wrote:
mystical_tutor wrote:My Corvette.
Hell Yes...Was dreaming to own one when I was living in California, but at that time, I didn't have a Driving License, my American step family went "You don't know how to driveeeeeeeeeeeeee ????" I try my best to explain, how expensive and hard it is to get a driving license in Paris, but they still looked at me as An Alien :-D And to finish, I didn't have a job at that time :-P
PS: Does your Corvette has a MTG Logo at least, cause subject is about "Your Biggest YOLO MTG Purchase"...You're such a Rebel Gary héhé
driving in paris is SO easy... except for charles de gaulles etoiles :O
Fungusaur legend
find me on facebook: nico jongsma
into all kind of fungusaurs and bog wraiths, especially foreign, misprinted