News From Minneapolis

Everything else.

Moderators: cataclysm80, hammr7, l0qii, Apocalypse2K, berkumps, dragsamou, mystical_tutor, pp

victorcamp
Librarities Legend

News From Minneapolis

Post by victorcamp » Fri Aug 03, 2007 1:38 pm

I know there are several members like myself from Minneapolis. Though it's a bridge I travel often, it had been at least a week since I was last on it. No one I know, so far, was involved, but it's a horrifying and heart-wrenching scene; small, by global standards, but enormous when it happens "here". I've driven it hundreds of times.

I haven't gone to look at it myself; somehow that seems disrespectful. I'll see it soon enough, since it's only 1 of 12 bridges across the Mississippi River within or from Minneapolis (as near as I can count without actually looking at a map).

The action of bystanders seems so natural. I'm sure I wouldn't have given it second thought had I been near. Still, it's good to know that helping comes naturally to so many.

AXIOS
Legendary Fungusaur Collector

Post by AXIOS » Sun Aug 05, 2007 11:39 pm

you call it small by global standards?
it has been on the news here a great many times (netherlands)
i have to admit, on my journey to the Us, i didn't went close to it, (i was in Illinois), bit i have seen several brdiges there, that sure could need some maintenance (thank god you or anyone you knew wasn't on it the time it happened)
Fungusaur legend
find me on facebook: nico jongsma
into all kind of fungusaurs and bog wraiths, especially foreign, misprinted

Gryfalia
Legendary Epic Store Owner

Post by Gryfalia » Mon Aug 06, 2007 7:11 pm

I think when he said small by global standards he meant compared to things like India/Bangladesh, where over a thousand people have been killed by flooding in the past week.

That, of course, doesn't mean it has a small impact locally (and in the entire US), but it's 'relatively' small in impact.

The painful issue that the US has with keeping our bridges up is that we spent about 50 years building an insane amount of roads and the like, which helped us become an even larger financial powerhouse as well as pull the whole nation together (you can drive anywhere)...but now they are all getting old and fixing roads and such isn't 'flashy'. This disaster will certainly do quite a bit to change that mindset methinks...