Magic "Player" Chase Cards?

Moderators: cataclysm80, hammr7, l0qii, Apocalypse2K, berkumps, dragsamou, mystical_tutor, pp

Ralph Herold
Legendary Magic Library Administrator

Post by Ralph Herold » Fri Sep 16, 2005 10:53 pm

For the sake of completion, I will need a set. They will also have their place on the website.

AXIOS
Legendary Fungusaur Collector

Post by AXIOS » Fri Sep 16, 2005 10:57 pm

Ralph Herold wrote:For the sake of completion, I will need a set. They will also have their place on the website.
For the sake of god, NO!!!!!! ;)

yes, yes, yes, you say for the sake of completion, we all know it, you love those cards :D
Fungusaur legend
find me on facebook: nico jongsma
into all kind of fungusaurs and bog wraiths, especially foreign, misprinted

Ralph Herold
Legendary Magic Library Administrator

Post by Ralph Herold » Fri Sep 16, 2005 11:19 pm

I do not criticize the idea to print these cards on a general level. They are an elegant way to spread the word about celebrity players and promote top level tournaments, and they are free completely of charge. What I *do* criticize is the way to present these players. Images of posing freaks contradict the attempt to establish Magic as a professional intellectual sport.

silver.paladin
Librarities Legend

Post by silver.paladin » Fri Sep 16, 2005 11:55 pm

Ralph Herold wrote:I do not criticize the idea to print these cards on a general level. They are an elegant way to spread the word about celebrity players and promote top level tournaments, and they are free completely of charge. What I *do* criticize is the way to present these players. Images of posing freaks contradict the attempt to establish Magic as a professional intellectual sport.
Choosing the word "freaks" to describe the poses, is an excellent choice of word Ralph.

For these chase cards, do you only want completed undamaged cards, or those that are ripped up into many pieces acceptable?

ANALOG_KID
Legendary MTG Art Collector

Post by ANALOG_KID » Sat Sep 17, 2005 1:20 am

They would make excellent proxy or token cards. Now you don't have to tear up your priceless Chaos Confettis or they can be used as animal tokens for Unhinged.
Next thing will be the chase rares - Autographed foils. :lol:
Gonna get all mine PSA graded!

Mr.C
Librarities Legend

Post by Mr.C » Sat Sep 17, 2005 1:54 am

Ralph Herold wrote:I do not criticize the idea to print these cards on a general level. They are an elegant way to spread the word about celebrity players and promote top level tournaments, and they are free completely of charge. What I *do* criticize is the way to present these players. Images of posing freaks contradict the attempt to establish Magic as a professional intellectual sport.
Yeah.

Imagine if they put Carlos Romao, or, *shudders*, that dude on Voidmage... Maybe some woman player?

nah, it'd still suck. A lot.

Horrible idea.

Big Games Supply

Post by Big Games Supply » Sat Sep 17, 2005 2:39 am

Mr.C wrote:
Yeah.

Imagine if they put Carlos Romao, or, *shudders*, that dude on Voidmage... Maybe some woman player?

nah, it'd still suck. A lot.

Horrible idea.
Will we be alive when there is a high rated girl player in magic?

lol

Dilligaf
Legendary Misplaced Limey Judge

Post by Dilligaf » Sat Sep 17, 2005 2:56 am

i will have a large number of these available ralph, and i would be glad to provide you with a set for the sites use.

i'll let you know as soon as i have them in hand.
Never argue with an Idiot, they will drag you down to their level then beat you with experience.
** Trying to collect one of each (at least) Brom Artwork.. if you have extra stuff, PM me.. AP's too!

random
Librarities Legend

Post by random » Sat Sep 17, 2005 3:11 am

I think these cards will actually turn females away from MTG

Mr.C
Librarities Legend

Post by Mr.C » Sat Sep 17, 2005 4:02 am

random wrote:I think these cards will actually turn females away from MTG
Funny, my girlfriend said the same thing :p

dry cereal
Legendary Part of a Complete Breakfast

Post by dry cereal » Sat Sep 17, 2005 6:35 pm

I want em too!! Oh man, what I would do for a crimped one. I think they should have something to do with the game though. first I'd have maken them like vanguard cards. Also I'd make them look serious.

Dilligaf

Post by Dilligaf » Sat Sep 17, 2005 8:00 pm

dry cereal wrote:I want em too!! Oh man, what I would do for a crimped one. I think they should have something to do with the game though. first I'd have maken them like vanguard cards. Also I'd make them look serious.
i hereby promise to deliver any and all crimped pro-player cards i open/find/recieve/steal/beg/borrow/buy to Dry Cereal.
Never argue with an Idiot, they will drag you down to their level then beat you with experience.
** Trying to collect one of each (at least) Brom Artwork.. if you have extra stuff, PM me.. AP's too!

flatmatt
Legendary Wild Bear Tracker

Post by flatmatt » Sat Sep 17, 2005 8:48 pm

dry cereal wrote:I want em too!! Oh man, what I would do for a crimped one. I think they should have something to do with the game though. first I'd have maken them like vanguard cards. Also I'd make them look serious.
Well, I wonder how they'll be packaged in the Fat Packs... you may yet get your crimp. ;)

Ponagger
Legendary Tolarian Academic Ludologist

Post by Ponagger » Sun Sep 18, 2005 7:18 am

Mr.C wrote:Imagine if they put, *shudders*, that dude on Voidmage...
Horrible idea.
Kai Budde is the guy in the three-shot with folded arms (on the right)

Shudder on.

I think these are a fine concept - I agree the poses are unfortunate at best, but they will make the big names better known to the casual players that attend Pre-Releases. The more interested casual players are in bigger events the better for everyone.

Dilligaf

Post by Dilligaf » Sat Sep 24, 2005 9:49 pm

Ok....here is the list ive compiled so far here at the Tulsa, OK prerelease.

1 Tim Aten
2 Jose Barbero
3 Kai Budde
4 Piere Canali
5 Kamiel Cornelissen
6 Antonio De Rosa
7 Murray Evans
8 Tsuyoshi Fujita
9 Eugene Harvey
10 ?
11 Itaru Ishida
12 ?
13 Brian Kibler
14 Masashiro Kuroda
15 Osyp Lebedowicz
16 Raphael Levy
17 Bob Maher
18 ?
19 Gabriel Nassif
20 Julien Nuijten
21 Masashi Oiso
22 Jeroen Remie
23 Antoine Ruel
24 Oliver Ruel
25 Terry Soh