ABU versions

Moderators: cataclysm80, hammr7, l0qii, Apocalypse2K, berkumps, dragsamou, mystical_tutor, pp

jacQues

ABU versions

Post by jacQues » Mon Sep 11, 2006 6:14 pm

I am creating a huge public database with all Magic cards, that generates lists for collectors. Starting with Alpha / Beta / Unlimited.

I heard (in the Rivals thread) that there are 5 different Alpha 'versions'. Is there anywhere where I can find a complete list or can anyone post exactly what versions there are?

Also, can someone verify that the cards are 100% the same for Beta / Unlimited and CE? (bar the borders obviously)

jacQues

l0qii
Legendary Unfindable Title Moderator

Post by l0qii » Mon Sep 11, 2006 8:09 pm

Not to be discouraging, but if you don't already know these answers you aren't likely to get very far with your project. There are far more difficult questions to consider and most of what you want to do is probably already available on sites like http://www.magiccards.info or http://www.apathyhouse.com/mtg/pricelist/checklist.php

jacQues

Post by jacQues » Wed Sep 13, 2006 10:47 am

l0qii wrote:Not to be discouraging, but if you don't already know these answers you aren't likely to get very far with your project. There are far more difficult questions to consider and most of what you want to do is probably already available on sites like http://www.magiccards.info or http://www.apathyhouse.com/mtg/pricelist/checklist.php
The reason why I ask here is to get information, not a totally useless answer like "If you don't know, you're screwed". Also, those links are no good for my purpose. I'm probably better off using WotC Gatherer instead. But then again I already know all the regular/official versions.

jacQues

LizardCZ
Librarities Hero

Re: ABU versions

Post by LizardCZ » Wed Sep 13, 2006 12:08 pm

jacQues wrote:I heard (in the Rivals thread) that there are 5 different Alpha 'versions'.
I think that you misread what dragsamou said.

He didn't said that there were five different versions of Alpha, he said that one of the different versions of 4th edition have alpha-cut corners.

jacQues

Re: ABU versions

Post by jacQues » Wed Sep 13, 2006 12:24 pm

LizardCZ wrote:
jacQues wrote:I heard (in the Rivals thread) that there are 5 different Alpha 'versions'.
I think that you misread what dragsamou said.

He didn't said that there were five different versions of Alpha, he said that one of the different versions of 4th edition have alpha-cut corners.
.....re-reading.....

RIGHT LOL Ok. Its readable in two ways. Hmmmz.... that's interesting. I didn't know that one. Never saw Alpha cut corners on any other cards than Alpha before.

So, summarizing, Alpha / Beta / Unlimited each have only the one version with no known regular misprints and Beta / Unlimited / CE are 100% identical except the borders. Right?

If "right", I'll move on to the next sets... :-)

jacQues

l0qii
Legendary Unfindable Title Moderator

Post by l0qii » Wed Sep 13, 2006 1:33 pm

Each set only has the one version. Only Alpha is not identical. I beleive Beta/UL/CE are.

Alpha is missing Volcanic Island, CoP: Black, and only has 2 versions of each basic land. In addition Alpha had many errors that were corrected in beta such as the casting cost of Ocrish Artillery, Orcish Oriflamme and Cyclopean Tomb. Elvish Archers had a power/toughtness change and a lot of cards had problems with mana symbols being printed as letters instead of images. There were also some cards texts that were reworded between Alpha and Beta.