Darksteel promotional token coin

Moderators: cataclysm80, hammr7, l0qii, Apocalypse2K, berkumps, dragsamou, mystical_tutor, pp

rick21n
Librarities Legend

Re: Darksteel promotional token coin

Post by rick21n » Mon Jan 26, 2004 10:40 pm

There is now a link on WOTC's site about this.  On The Darksteel Page.  Link is rotating coin towards bottom.

http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=ma ... /darksteel

Dates are Feb 6th-26th.  No more details really.

blackfire100

Post by blackfire100 » Tue Jan 27, 2004 1:00 am

I need to get me one of these little babys.   ;)
Image The Great One

rg

Post by rg » Tue Jan 27, 2004 2:19 am

If the coin looks like the coin pictured i'm a little bit disappointed.

Still need to figure out how to get some of these without buying a german display for about €100 = $125 at my local expert shop  >:(

GraueEminenz
Librarities Legend

Post by GraueEminenz » Tue Jan 27, 2004 3:54 am

Indeed, Ralf
Please let me know if you have figured it out ---
JAN
There are only 10 types
of people in the world:
Those who understand binary
and those who don't

rg

Post by rg » Thu Feb 05, 2004 1:05 pm

Here the new german note from Amigo (from today) regarding the coin:

***Nachtstahl***

Jawohl, morgen erscheint die neue Serie Nachtstahl. Ab Freitag, den 6. Februar, ist Nachtstahl in allen Magic-Geschäften erhältlich. Einen Überblick über die neue Erweiterung konntet ihr euch ja bereits auf den Prerelease oder Instore Prerelease Turnieren verschaffen. An dieser Stelle sei nochmal darauf hingewiesen, dass es beim Kauf eines deutschen oder englischen Display Nachtstahl Booster in einem Expert Store eine Darksteel-Münze dazu gibt. Diese eignet sich nicht nur für das anfängliche Bestimmen des Startspielers und für die Münzwurfkarten, sondern es ist eine individuelle Nummer eingeprägt, über die ihr auf folgender Internetseite noch weitere Specials erhalten könnt: http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=ma ... /darksteel
Klickt einfach ab Freitag die sich drehende Münze auf dieser Seite an. Ach ja, und schaltet vorher besser die Lautsprecher leise ...

I'll try to give the informational part:
You'll get a coin with every english or german booster box you bought in an "Expert Store".
The coin is not intended to elect who starts the game or for "coinflip-cards". You could reach additional specials with the engraved unique number through the website http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=ma ... /darksteel  by klicking on the rotating coin (from friday on).

rick21n
Librarities Legend

Post by rick21n » Thu Feb 05, 2004 7:09 pm

Has any of our German friends acquired any of these yet?  Just wondering if we are going to be able to see the process at all.  How much are new boxes in stores in Germany.  I might buy one through somebody just for the coin.

- Rick

rg

Post by rg » Fri Feb 06, 2004 10:21 pm

The Darksteel promotional coin:

(High Resolution scan will be send to Ralph)

DS-Coin     Euro-Coin
weight   20 g   6 g
diameter   3,5 cm   2,3 cm
thickness   ~ 2,5 mm   ~ 1,8 mm

Sorry, but i had to blank a part of the number because of registration  ;)

This is the message you'll receive if you register the number by klicking on the rotating coin on the darksteel homepage:
Thanks for your registration.

Under the assumption that the entered data is correct, you will receive a package from Wizards of the Coast between March 2nd and March 12th.

If you've entered your e-mail address, you will receive more information by e-mail from us on March 1st.
Registration is open for:
Austria, Belgium, Bulgaria, Croatia, Cyprus, Czech Republik, Denmark, Estonia, Finland, Germany, Greece, Hungary, Iceland, Israel, Latvia, Lithuania, Luxemburg, Macedonia, Malta, Netherlands, Norway, Poland, Romania, Russia, Slovak Republik, Slovenia, Sweden, Switzerland, Turkey, UK/Eire, Ukraine, United Arab Emirates

No U.S. or France (don't ask me why, i do not know)

mintcollector
Librarities Legend

Post by mintcollector » Fri Feb 06, 2004 11:49 pm

Great information rg!  I will be very curious to find out what is in the mysterious package our European friends will be getting!  Also to help US members, here are the conversions of the measurements rg provided:

Weight: .70656 oz
Diameter: 1.37795 inches (a quarter is 15/16 inches or .9375 inches)
Thickness: .09843 inches

rg any knowledge of what the coin is made of?  Is it plastic, metal, some metal/plastic mix, or what?

Midtown

Post by Midtown » Fri Feb 06, 2004 11:59 pm

Its different for each country. Heres what WOTC provide for us Uk residents along with mystery stuff:

WOTC site:

"Well, firstly if you present your DarkSteel coin along with your DCI number at Grand Prix Birmingham at the Pavillion NEC on 27-28th March, you will receive a free booster draft. Secondly if you take your coin to your Nationals Championship and present it along with your DCI number, you will be eligible for a free booster draft there too.

As if that weren't enough, if you fancy winning a Timeless 161 snowboard with Magic: The Gathering graphics from Ride simply register below. On the 26th of February we'll close the registration and we'll check all data.
If you have entered your e-mail address and your mailbox isn't full, we'll send you an e-mail. If you didn't enter an e-mail address, you'll have to wait a little longer until we notify you by post."
Mail me for prices on MTG original artwork.

rg

Post by rg » Sat Feb 07, 2004 1:06 am

rg any knowledge of what the coin is made of?  Is it plastic, metal, some metal/plastic mix, or what?

I can only assume ... looks like a mixture between copper and brass, definitely no plastic.
And the coin clangs/clangors like a heavy old coin  :D

btw: even though the shop owner is a good friend i hat no chance to get the coins without buying a display per coin

Archivist
Librarities Legend

Post by Archivist » Sat Feb 07, 2004 1:09 am

Is it plastic, metal, some metal/plastic mix, or what?
It must be made of indestructable darksteel! :)
Boxes: @TCGPlayer | Singles: @CardShark | Trades: @PucaTrade

mintcollector
Librarities Legend

Post by mintcollector » Sat Feb 07, 2004 3:00 am

Midtown:  Interesting to point out that the bonus varies from country to country.  I think an effort should be made to try and collect as much information as possible on this for Ralph's promotional project.  

rg:  Thanks for the reply about the coin.  I am not overly familiar with weights that small and could not determine if that was a metal or plastic weight you provided (20 grams).  I like it that a good quality item was put out instead of an cheap item.

Crazyx

Post by Crazyx » Sat Feb 07, 2004 3:02 am

Hmm so i tried to destoy mine to see if it was made from darksteel, but too bad, its not darksteel. Btw i need another coin now :D  :P

flatmatt
Legendary Wild Bear Tracker

Post by flatmatt » Sat Feb 07, 2004 9:50 am

Just out of curiousity, how many digits are in the registration number?

AXIOS
Legendary Fungusaur Collector

Post by AXIOS » Sat Feb 07, 2004 2:25 pm

Fungusaur legend
find me on facebook: nico jongsma
into all kind of fungusaurs and bog wraiths, especially foreign, misprinted