Middle Ages questions

Moderators: cataclysm80, hammr7, l0qii, Apocalypse2K, berkumps, dragsamou, mystical_tutor, pp

hammr7
Librarities Legend

Re: Middle Ages questions

Post by hammr7 » Mon Feb 16, 2004 8:49 am

I understand that there were the two "mail in" cards, but that was not what I was talking about.  Apparantly some small number of cards from the original printing were  artificially limited in the boosters, creating a small group of "rares".  They might not have been as rare as the mail in cards (both of which I already have), but they were supposedly rarer than your typical U1.  My question was whether anyone else had heard of this before, and if so, were cards ever named?
Where have all the Magic sticker sets gone?

Ralph Herold
Legendary Magic Library Administrator

Post by Ralph Herold » Mon Feb 16, 2004 5:39 pm

silver.paladin: You are welcome  :)

hammr7: The true rarity of the cards is still unknown. While I have analyzed the frequencies on the printing sheet (they are listed in the Middle Ages section), I still do not know how many cards of which sheet have been inserted in the boosters. In addition, I know that the rarity relation between the single cards has furthermore been tampered with manually to create "ungodly" rares. I have contacted Mr. Ditzler, hoping to get more details, but he did not help me, unfortunately.

inca911
Librarities Legend

Post by inca911 » Mon Feb 16, 2004 6:25 pm

Here's a bit more info regarding "ungodly rares".  There were about 7-8 cards (have to check my notes on this) that were not fully distributed in the booster packs.  These cards were designated as "ungodly rares" and inserted into packs in a limited quantity.  In theory, this would have worked.  However, in actuality these "ungodly rares" were not destroyed at the time and eventually made it to a card shop that took possession of Ditzler's extras.  I contacted the shop years ago and tried to buy all their extras, however they claimed they were destroyed.  They weren't, as these cards starting showing up on eBay not very long afterwords by a seller in the same area who I learned was acting as an agent for the store.  In short, the "ungodly rares" are indeed still more rare than the other cards, but less so than many people know.

The true identity of the ungodly rares has been forgotten by those students who did the packaging of the cards as well as by Ditzler himself.  By looking at the H/W lists of those who collect MA stickers, there are some reasonable guesses that can be made but they are just that, guesses.  Wyvern is a likely candidate that I remember, but I'd have to dig out my notes regarding some of the others.  I also think I have contact information from a guy with many MA stickers for sale.  If there is a lot of interest on the board, I can see if he still has them....

bigfatkitty
Legendary Overweight Cat Warrior

Post by bigfatkitty » Mon Feb 16, 2004 6:41 pm

I'm certainly interested.  I'm still short about 25.  

There was a website who had about 20 different Middle Ages for sale around Christmas time last year and they have since reorganized with the stickers missing.  I ordered some before they made the changes.  I'll call and see if they have any more.    :P

And I know the Queens Domain lady on Ebay still has some.  (Although not any I need.)   :-[
Solitary Member of Dragsamou's 'Dirty Frenchie' Fan Club.
Worshiped by all Netherlandians.

dragsamou
Administrator

Post by dragsamou » Mon Feb 16, 2004 6:42 pm

Here's a bit more info regarding "ungodly rares".  There were about 7-8 cards (have to check my notes on this) that were not fully distributed in the booster packs.  These cards were designated as "ungodly rares" and inserted into packs in a limited quantity.  In theory, this would have worked.  However, in actuality these "ungodly rares" were not destroyed at the time and eventually made it to a card shop that took possession of Ditzler's extras.  I contacted the shop years ago and tried to buy all their extras, however they claimed they were destroyed.  They weren't, as these cards starting showing up on eBay not very long afterwords by a seller in the same area who I learned was acting as an agent for the store.  In short, the "ungodly rares" are indeed still more rare than the other cards, but less so than many people know.

The true identity of the ungodly rares has been forgotten by those students who did the packaging of the cards as well as by Ditzler himself.  By looking at the H/W lists of those who collect MA stickers, there are some reasonable guesses that can be made but they are just that, guesses.  Wyvern is a likely candidate that I remember, but I'd have to dig out my notes regarding some of the others.  I also think I have contact information from a guy with many MA stickers for sale.  If there is a lot of interest on the board, I can see if he still has them....
Hi Forrest.
How much you would estimate a Full Middle Ages Set?
Thanks.
Want/Have Lists.
viewtopic.php?f=8&t=8903
viewtopic.php?f=7&t=1515
I Love you Dad.R.I.P.

Ralph Herold
Legendary Magic Library Administrator

Post by Ralph Herold » Mon Feb 16, 2004 6:54 pm

inca911: Interesting tidbits, thank you. It is very unfortunate to hear that so many people have forgotten about the identity of the "ungodly" rares. Your statements has sparked some hope, though. I would be interested to see your notes as well as get in contact with the people who bought Ditzler's extra cards and the person who offered them on ebay. Maybe somebody still remembers something.