Question re: text on the Unhinged Super-Rare page

Moderators: cataclysm80, hammr7, l0qii, Apocalypse2K, berkumps, dragsamou, mystical_tutor, pp

aleksandr
Librarities Legend

Question re: text on the Unhinged Super-Rare page

Post by aleksandr » Mon Mar 20, 2006 1:25 am

I was reading the following on the Unhinged page here on Magic Library:

One card, called Super Secret Tech, only exists as a foil rare card and technically affects the foil card concept as a whole. Its rarity is supposedly ten times more common than that of other Unhinged foil rare cards.

Is the statement correct that Super Secret Tech is 10 times more COMMON than other foil rares? That doesn't seem to make sense to me as foil rares are generally found at a rate of 2-4 or so per booster box. If Super-Secret Tech is really ten times more common then it doesn't seem like it should be 'super-rare' at all.

Just looking for clarification.

Thanks
Aleks

Ralph Herold
Legendary Magic Library Administrator

Post by Ralph Herold » Mon Mar 20, 2006 1:31 am

I was told this number by a store owner who had opened a very large number of Booster Pack Boxes. I do not doubt it. The card is still rarer than any nonfoil rare card from this set, so the term ultra-rare is viable in my opinion.

aleksandr
Librarities Legend

Post by aleksandr » Mon Mar 20, 2006 1:36 am

Okay, I trust your knowledge on the matter :) I just thought that it sounded odd and supposed it could have been a typo.

dgstranz

Post by dgstranz » Mon Mar 20, 2006 8:07 am

I heard there was a SST for every 3 to 5 boxes (I bought 3 boxes and got two SST's so I may have had some really good luck) whereas there's almost a complete set in each box (36 rares out of 40 with no duplicates) and foil rares are scarce of course... 1 per box, I think.

So... on average you'll find a SST and 4 other foil rares if you open 4 Unhinged boxes, which means SST is 10 times more common than any other particular foil rare.
Isn't Uktabi Orangutan cute?

Gryfalia
Legendary Epic Store Owner

Post by Gryfalia » Mon Mar 20, 2006 5:53 pm

20 Boxes.
20 Foil Rares (was 2 behind, but got 2 double boxes to make up for it)
6 of those were SST. That's around 1 per 3 boxes.

Also, randomness here, 2.5 foil lands per box, about 3 uncommons and 4 common foils per box also. With HEAVY repitition of certain ones (5 of some commons) and others missing, but that's mostly just luck of the draw I suppose.

Reliquium

Would it work...

Post by Reliquium » Mon Mar 27, 2006 7:56 pm

Is it plausable to have cards like that, that only effects foils (or promos or fbbs or signed/altered cards etc.) made specifically for 2HG? I doubt WotC would go for it, but it would still be cool. Or maybe spawn a new type of tournament?
"There are two types of people in the world: Human beings, and you." - Mom