2HG Champs--NH

Moderators: cataclysm80, hammr7, l0qii, Apocalypse2K, berkumps, dragsamou, mystical_tutor, pp

aleksandr
Librarities Legend

2HG Champs--NH

Post by aleksandr » Mon Mar 20, 2006 1:34 am

Well, 2 headed giant Champs have come and gone...and I am proud to say that my team achieved second to last place in the NH champs!

We had 34 teams playing for 7 swiss rounds. After going 0-3 (and being knocked out of contention for any kind of prizes) we were told that copies of the Niv-Mizzet promo was going to be given out to the last place team as well as a random team in addition to top 4, we decided to try to go for the worst!

Unfortunately, a bye made it damn hard for us to achieve dead last. Despite poor playing we managed to achieve second to last place. Thankfully, the folks were so entertained by our race for last that they decided to give the extra Niv-Mizzets to the last 2 teams as well as top 4.

So, long story short, I managed to snag both Electrolyze and Niv-Mizzet this weekend. Somehow, I would imagine this being something Dry Cereal would try ;)

Woo-hoo!

Aleks

Pselus

Post by Pselus » Tue Mar 21, 2006 9:17 pm

that's incredible...especially because those Niv-Mizzet's are actually pretty rare...they're going on ebay right now for pretty good prices.

how exactly did they have "extra" considering WOTC said that the top 4 teams would recieve them?

aleksandr
Librarities Legend

Post by aleksandr » Tue Mar 21, 2006 9:45 pm

I believe it was announced even by Wizards that Niv-Mizzets would go to the top 4 teams, as well as having extras for the venue to give out as 'door prizes'. This particular venue and judge decided the door prizes would go out to the lowest ranked teams.

I know that my venue is instructed to give out 2 random FNM cards each friday night as "door prizes" in addition to the ones going to first and second place, so I think this is pretty standard practice for Wizards.

How much are they going for on eBay right now? I'm almost afraid to ask since I just sold mine to a friend yesterday for $50 cash with the thought that I would buy a new one on eBay a few months down the road for $15-20 or so.

Aleks

Pselus

Post by Pselus » Tue Mar 21, 2006 10:01 pm

:(
my venue only gave out 8...1 for each player in the Top 4 teams

as for price...I'm sad to say you lost on that deal. The CHEAPEST I've seen them on ebay right now is at $41 with 4 days left on bidding. The most expensive (excluding Buy It Now items) is $140.
Every auction I see says that only 600 of them were made...if that's true...then they will probably retain the value even if Niv-Mizzet is never played.

aleksandr
Librarities Legend

Post by aleksandr » Thu Mar 23, 2006 7:16 pm

Well, I convinced my friend to sell me the card back for $60. So he made a quick $10 on the deal and I paid a $10 stupid tax :)

dry cereal
Legendary Part of a Complete Breakfast

Post by dry cereal » Fri Mar 24, 2006 3:44 pm

Me and 5 friends went to Neutral Grounds for Champs. They were an hour late so about 30-40 people were waiting outside for the store to open. Then, we finally get inside and play mental magic for half an hour waiting for registration to start. We then find out it costs 25 !A PERSON!, and promptly decide we would rather play in side events. There are no side events... We have the people from Gray Matter conventions call the people in NJ to find out if there are side events at the NJ tourney (an hour away). We cut the 60 bucks it cost us to get to Neutral Ground as a loss and truck down to Jersey. I play in 2 side events (opening 3 duals ) ;-D and perform pretty poorly. There were some jackasses everywhere we went (sharks and such), which was annoying. One highlight was, I get to NJ champs and am greeted by one of my Jersey friends who tells me how Aaron (another friend) didn't have a partner, so Osyp was like "I don't have a partner either", and they teamed up. Anyway, overall it was a fun weekend.

aleksandr
Librarities Legend

Post by aleksandr » Fri Mar 24, 2006 4:46 pm

Yeah, we had 'time' issues as well...

The website listed the event start time at 10AM. I figured we should arrive early at about 9:30AM to register and make sure we got an electrolyze. We get there and the store isn't open. Odd. Wait in the truck for a half hour and the store opens at 10. We are promptly greeted by an employee who says something to the effect of "whats with all the idiots trying the door since 9AM??" to which we reply "well, one would think with a 10AM start time that the store would be open a little early for registration and such" to which he replies "whaddya mean 10AM, the event doesn't start until Noon, thats what we have been telling everyone over the phone."

So, we basically had to wait around until Noon for the event to start. Even so, I don't think we actually sat down for deck registration and swap until 12:30-1:00.

It was a very long day. There were a LOT more teams than were expected to show. A lot of sharks. In fact, I don't recall them checking IDs, which Wizards said was going to be a requirement. Pack all that into a small space with a lot of smelly gamers and well, you can imagine the type of day it was ;)

Aleks

dry cereal

Post by dry cereal » Fri Mar 24, 2006 5:54 pm

my favorite shark of the day was definately Coolio (Morgan). Our trading went something like this.

Me: (looking through his binder) wow, this is a ton of money cards
Him: yep, a lot
Me: put like 10 of these together and I'd be able to pay my tuition to College
Him: try 5
Me: Oh, wow, this is 7k worth of cards!? Damn!
Him: I have a 40k binder too
Me: Wow, can I see it?
Him: no, you aren't worthy of seeing it.
Me: Oh
Him: and Cornell is a crap College
Me: Oh...

I don't think the hilarity of the conversation is portrayed well over text, but it was surreal. :-)

dragsamou
Administrator

Post by dragsamou » Fri Mar 24, 2006 5:57 pm

dry cereal wrote:my favorite shark of the day was definately Coolio (Morgan). Our trading went something like this.

Me: (looking through his binder) wow, this is a ton of money cards
Him: yep, a lot
Me: put like 10 of these together and I'd be able to pay my tuition to College
Him: try 5
Me: Oh, wow, this is 7k worth of cards!? Damn!
Him: I have a 40k binder too
Me: Wow, can I see it?
Him: no, you aren't worthy of seeing it.
Me: Oh
Him: and Cornell is a crap College
Me: Oh...

I don't think the hilarity of the conversation is portrayed well over text, but it was surreal. :-)
That was a Fun Post :-D
Want/Have Lists.
viewtopic.php?f=8&t=8903
viewtopic.php?f=7&t=1515
I Love you Dad.R.I.P.

aleksandr
Librarities Legend

Post by aleksandr » Fri Mar 24, 2006 5:59 pm

It sounds pretty damn funny.

What kind of 'money' cards were in the binder? Is he carrying around Moxen and Lotuses?

And I thought Cornell was considered a damn good school?

I went to Boston University years ago and it has this underserved reputuation for being such a great school...

dry cereal

Post by dry cereal » Fri Mar 24, 2006 6:26 pm

I don't know, I like the school. They teach a little much theory, but that's the thing they do. The binder I saw was a double-sided page of each dual (new and old) FOW, and some other jank. *shrug* magic cards don't really impress me anymore I guess.