Wizards of the Coast Online Store Cards

Moderators: cataclysm80, hammr7, l0qii, Apocalypse2K, berkumps, dragsamou, mystical_tutor, pp

Moebius
Legendary Big Footed Cow Collector

Wizards of the Coast Online Store Cards

Post by Moebius » Wed Oct 04, 2006 1:54 pm

I just viewed the "Wizards of the Coast Online Store Cards" section and saw that the promo card was the Foil Serra Angel with original artwork.

This card was also given to the winners of Team Limited - Trios in 2000 in the Netherlands. Is this known or new?

mintcollector
Librarities Legend

Post by mintcollector » Wed Oct 04, 2006 3:15 pm

News to me. I always thought this card was only given out to those who bought a box at full WOTC retail price in the states. Never had heard that these were given out for any other purpose...especially outside the US.

Now the question I have is was this offically prize support, or did the event coordinators just secure a line of cards to dole out as prize? To clarify, did WOTC knowingly do this or was this an after market effect?

Moebius

Post by Moebius » Wed Oct 04, 2006 3:24 pm

It was official prize support, there were several tournaments in the Netherlands were they were given out. The organisers didn't have the cards on site. If you ended up first with you team you had give your name and address and you would receive it.
It might be possible that it was something the Dutch distributor did on their own but can't imagine this. I'll ask some other people if they know this.

savagebtings

Post by savagebtings » Wed Oct 04, 2006 5:59 pm

If i remember correctly,they were also given as prizes in a Team tournament at GP London,a few years back.

Craig.

Ralph Herold
Legendary Magic Library Administrator

Post by Ralph Herold » Thu Oct 05, 2006 12:20 pm

Thank you for pointing this out. This raises an important question: Should alternate sources of promo cards be monitored? And if they should, which limitations should apply? My current stance is to monitor the primary source (promo cards usually serve a primary function, even if they are given out through different channels over time) and to mention reappearances of cards as long as they appear in channels which are known for their own type of promos (think of the reused JSS promo for the MPR program). Before you answer, let me explain that the problem with monitoring all channels is that some of them are almost impossible to track. Just think about all promos ever given out on all Pro Tour events. Some might remember I once tried to cover this kind of information with the Prize Tracking Project and failed.

Moebius

Post by Moebius » Thu Oct 05, 2006 3:21 pm

Good point, it would be undoable to register all this information.