Lotus to Lotus

Moderators: cataclysm80, hammr7, l0qii, Apocalypse2K, berkumps, dragsamou, mystical_tutor, pp

Mr. Nightmare
Librarities Hero

Post by Mr. Nightmare » Wed Nov 01, 2006 7:40 pm

A few points:

In Ice Age, Necropotence was strongly considered the WORST card in the set before it's power was uncovered.

Alliances, you forgot to mention Balduvian Horde

Homelands cards of note were Autumn Willow, since you could choose to Giant Growth her, and Serrated Arrows. At that point, you had to have at least 5 cards in your deck from each set in Type 2 tournaments, so Arrows was an auto 4-of in the SB.

In Visions, all the flankers were used heavily, specifically Fallen Asakari. It was also the birth of the first dedicated combo deck, ProsperousBloom, so Prosperity, Cadaverous Bloom, and Squandered Resources became popular.

When Weatherlight came out, Abeyance was a counterspell.

l0qii
Legendary Unfindable Title Moderator

Post by l0qii » Wed Nov 01, 2006 7:46 pm

ende73 wrote: And yes, Revised saw Force of Nature and Lord of the Pit as good cards, but much more so Royal Assassin and even Northern Paladin as well as Shivan Dragon. Fork became amazingly popular for about 2 months here and could be traded for 4 Dual lands at its top.
Oh yeah, I forgot about the Paladin!
Fork and Doppelganger were both pretty good, but never as much as the others. Still more than a $5 dual land though ;)

In The Dark, Frankenstein's Monster was popular, but not because it was playable. I forget the story behind that.

In Ice Age, Marton Stromgald was pretty cool for a while, Icy and Cap were hot from the start.

Alliances went through a lot of phases. Force of Will, being uncommon, was good but not really worth more than about $4 for a long time. Ivory Gargoyle, Kjeldoran Outpost, Soldevi Digger and Thawing Glaciers all saw a lot of play at different times. Balduvian Hordes was godly.

equi-nox76
Legendary Blue Spell Blaster

Lotus to Lotus

Post by equi-nox76 » Tue Nov 14, 2006 2:48 pm

Interesting to read this old topic :-)

Should be updated...

I think (since I am a counter player) that Arcane Denial was one of the most powerful cards of Alliances, even when it just was a common.

Chris

misterpid
Legendary World's Toughest Milkman

Post by misterpid » Tue Nov 14, 2006 4:42 pm

Mr. Nightmare wrote:A few points:

In Ice Age, Necropotence was strongly considered the WORST card in the set before it's power was uncovered.
It's power wasn't uncovered until Black Vise was restriced.
Always looking for:
Legends Presence of the Master (English or Italian)
Dark Sorrow's Path (English or Italian)
Non-English Contract From Below.

madlucas

Post by madlucas » Wed Jan 17, 2007 6:34 pm

He jammed the Lotuses in to show that he is the only collector in the world who owns Black Lotus from 6 different editions.
I know the owner pretty well and I'll give you the link to his website:
http://www.morgantialessandro.it/indexmagic.htm
The cards from every set stand there to represent the most significant card from the expansion.

Rainsford
Librarities Legend

Post by Rainsford » Wed Jan 17, 2007 7:48 pm

I remember running trading days and tournaments in early Beta at my friend's store in California.

Here is a quote from the first trade day at the end of Alpha/start of Beta:

"Anyone want to trade me a Birds of Paradise for one of my Moxes?"

When asked if this was a good trade, the reply was:

"Its better for me because there are five Moxes and only one Birds of Paradise."

LOL.

The late breaking card in Alpha/Beta/Unlimited was Mind Twist. It was passed over for a number of months, and then someone put together a deck using it and the Black Lotus/Moxen. People quickly realized it was veeeeery broken. :-)

In Arabian Nights, the Juzam Djinn wasn't used for a long while because, "well, heck, it damages you every turn!" I don't remember Library being anymore sought after than Elephant Graveyard and Bazaar of Baghdad. Though I DO remember everyone trying to make a real deck using desert walk. :-)

Best regards,

Rainsford