Talking about Serious Misprints.

Moderators: cataclysm80, hammr7, l0qii, Apocalypse2K, berkumps, dragsamou, mystical_tutor, pp

Ralph Herold
Legendary Magic Library Administrator

Re: Talking about Serious Misprints.

Post by Ralph Herold » Sun Aug 08, 2004 6:21 pm

dragsamou: If I were to catagorize them, they would be test prints.

dragsamou
Administrator

Post by dragsamou » Sun Aug 08, 2004 6:34 pm

dragsamou: If I were to catagorize them, they would be test prints.
Thanks Ralph,I believe the same  :)
Want/Have Lists.
viewtopic.php?f=8&t=8903
viewtopic.php?f=7&t=1515
I Love you Dad.R.I.P.

hammr7
Librarities Legend

Re: Talking about Serious Misprints.I

Post by hammr7 » Sun Aug 08, 2004 7:56 pm

With other collectibles, "test print" implies that the maker was trying to create these specific combinations, and Alexis' were the first, perhaps feeeble, attempts.  

However, if my earlier hypothesis is correct, these misprints were never meant to be made as cards or released to the public.  That these combintions even exist is likely due to a printer's desire to reuse and recycle discarded product wherever possible.  The printer was reusing the backside of some rejected cardstock as a press preparation on some later printing (perhaps a color or technical composition check, or perhaps checking the performance of a printing press.  We'll never know without seeing the rest of the sheet.)  This sheet was obviously rejected more than once, and was expected to be destroyed.  It might have been used as packaging, or maybe even thrown out.  Yet somehow it survived and was cut into cards (maybe its last use was to set up the blades in the cutting stage for good magic sheets).

That the cards are mispints is obvious.  They are likely unique.  But I don't think they should be classified as "test prints" if we want to be consistant with other collectibles.  I am sure no one at Wizards ever considered making a product of such combinations.  
Where have all the Magic sticker sets gone?

dragsamou
Administrator

Post by dragsamou » Sun Aug 08, 2004 8:32 pm

With other collectibles, "test print" implies that the maker was trying to create these specific combinations, and Alexis' were the first, perhaps feeeble, attempts.  

However, if my earlier hypothesis is correct, these misprints were never meant to be made as cards or released to the public.  That these combintions even exist is likely due to a printer's desire to reuse and recycle discarded product wherever possible.  The printer was reusing the backside of some rejected cardstock as a press preparation on some later printing (perhaps a color or technical composition check, or perhaps checking the performance of a printing press.  We'll never know without seeing the rest of the sheet.)  This sheet was obviously rejected more than once, and was expected to be destroyed.  It might have been used as packaging, or maybe even thrown out.  Yet somehow it survived and was cut into cards (maybe its last use was to set up the blades in the cutting stage for good magic sheets).

That the cards are mispints is obvious.  They are likely unique.  But I don't think they should be classified as "test prints" if we want to be consistant with other collectibles.  I am sure no one at Wizards ever considered making a product of such combinations.  
Hi Hank  :)
This is not an easy issue as we lack a bunch of infos.
I'm very interested to know more about these 2 Cards.
In my excitment to get them,I totally avoid the history part  :-[
I just send an E-mail to the Owner,asking for All the Infos,he can provides me.Asking him if he get them from a Starter or Booster,etc...Or from Carta Mundi as,he's a Belgium Citizen  ;)
As soon as I have infos,I will share them  :)
Want/Have Lists.
viewtopic.php?f=8&t=8903
viewtopic.php?f=7&t=1515
I Love you Dad.R.I.P.

Celebrindor

Post by Celebrindor » Sun Aug 08, 2004 9:14 pm

I believe, based on the previous 2 responses, that these require a whole new category (or at least a subcategory).  A "test print" was previously defined as something that the printer made to demonstrate a specific process (foiling) to wizards.  These cards, as suggested by hammr7, may have been used to test the machines themselves.  In other words, whereas the City of Traitors test prints were meant to leave the printers and be shown to the people at wizards, these cards are sheets that were re-used again and again to test machinery.  Thus, perhaps we should call them machine prints or printers prints or something.

Furthermore, if the guy you got them from lives in Belgium (near Carta Mundi) he might have other interesting things like this.  

hammr7
Librarities Legend

Post by hammr7 » Sun Aug 08, 2004 9:58 pm

Based on the level of interest in badly made or imperfect Magic cards, you could now be a millionaire if you had been a "dumpster diver" at Carta Mundi a decade ago!   :o ;D :o
Where have all the Magic sticker sets gone?

Celebrindor

Post by Celebrindor » Sun Aug 08, 2004 9:59 pm

exactly what I was thinking

NightBeing
Librarities Member

Post by NightBeing » Tue Sep 12, 2006 8:50 am

dragsamou wrote: Hi Hank  :)
I just send an E-mail to the Owner,asking for All the Infos,he can provides me.Asking him if he get them from a Starter or Booster,etc...Or from Carta Mundi as,he's a Belgium Citizen  ;)
Well, any info? As Ralph could attest ;) I am often more interested in the lore than its focus :)
The CheeseshireCat

dragsamou
Administrator

Post by dragsamou » Tue Sep 12, 2006 9:13 am

NightBeing wrote:
dragsamou wrote: Hi Hank  :)
Well, any info? As Ralph could attest ;) I am often more interested in the lore than its focus :)
Hi.
http://www.magiclibrary.net/phpBB2/view ... sc&start=0
Want/Have Lists.
viewtopic.php?f=8&t=8903
viewtopic.php?f=7&t=1515
I Love you Dad.R.I.P.