French card in german booster

Moderators: cataclysm80, hammr7, l0qii, Apocalypse2K, berkumps, dragsamou, mystical_tutor, pp

pickle.69
Legendary Shivan Dragon Master

French card in german booster

Post by pickle.69 » Tue Sep 28, 2004 12:16 am

Ther is a guy on ebay.de who is selling a " misprint " that I find a bit strange.
He says in his auction that he got a french card in a german Scourge/ Plagen booster.
I asked him if he had found a french booster in the german booster display. But he said no this was the only french card he found in the box.
I think its crap but i somehow like the idea.
Never heard of something like this or did this happen often in scourge. I do not care a lot on the newer editions so it might be a lack of knowledge.
Collections needing help
Shivan Dragons http://beam.to/shivandragon
Alpha Dwarven Demo Team h: 5%
http://www.magiclibrarities.net/forum/v ... 9506#29506

mintcollector
Librarities Legend

Re: French card in german booster

Post by mintcollector » Tue Sep 28, 2004 12:27 am

Well this guy is a fool if he thinks he will get a penny more than what the French card is valued at.  Regardless of where it was found, it is still a French card of no distinction that any other correct?  So he has nothing more than a normal Scourge French card.

pickle.69

Post by pickle.69 » Tue Sep 28, 2004 12:58 am

well think your right
I forget to say that it was a rare and that it was foil but i still think it changes nothing but can this happen?
Collections needing help

Muldoon
Legendary Dragon Whelp Master

Post by Muldoon » Tue Sep 28, 2004 12:58 am

I think this is just a scam for either attention or just testing if there's a market for it :P I bet it's a common, and if so, it would most certainly not have been the only one in the booster if it was real.
I'm not 100% sure how they pack boosters these days, but in the past when i've found miscuts or inky cards, there's always been more than one in the booster due to most / all commons coming from ONE sheet...
So if they DID accidently use a french sheet in the german print run, there'd be more... I smell fish :P  [smiley=ok.gif]

EDIT: Noticed it was a rare, that makes it a little more believable... Since there's pretty much never two foil rares in a box, there _should_ only be one... Still, this isn't extra valuable to anyone but the person who pulled it out of the booster, if that was the case...
If his story checks up, there should be another 50 or so foil french rares in other german scourge boxes :P
Collecting Dragon Whelps! A/FBB/FWB/Summer/Alt4th/IE/TS/Test/Misprinted wanted!

ANALOG_KID
Legendary MTG Art Collector

Post by ANALOG_KID » Tue Sep 28, 2004 1:04 am

I wouldn't say the guy is an outright liar, but I think many of us are EXTREMELY sceptical of his claim.

I could easily pull a Japanese card from an English pack, provided I put the card in there in the first place.

I think the burden of proof in this case is on him.
Unless he has video showing the factory sealed box being opened and the sealed pack also being opened, AND the card being pulled in front of documented witnesses, most of us will disregard this claim.
Begin the day with a friendly voice...

sylvanstu
Librarities Legend

Post by sylvanstu » Tue Sep 28, 2004 1:07 am

I wouldn't say the guy is an outright liar, but I think many of us are EXTREMELY sceptical of his claim.

I could easily pull a Japanese card from an English pack, provided I put the card in there in the first place.

I think the burden of proof in this case is on him.
Unless he has video showing the factory sealed box being opened and the sealed pack also being opened, AND the card being pulled in front of documented witnesses, most of us will disregard this claim.
Even if he had the video's of this it still is just a French card nothing special  ;D
Collector of one of each Armageddon printed.

Celebrindor

Post by Celebrindor » Tue Sep 28, 2004 1:54 am

And even if he did find a french card in a german pack, whats the big deal?  Its not like its a misprint - its the same card, just in the wrong pack.

dry cereal
Legendary Part of a Complete Breakfast

Post by dry cereal » Tue Sep 28, 2004 8:01 am

Man, must suck to use ALL your luck on finding a random french card in a german box.  Guess he won't be winning the lottery sometime soon.
I can't believe I ate the whole thing

sylvanstu
Librarities Legend

Post by sylvanstu » Tue Sep 28, 2004 9:49 am

Man, must suck to use ALL your luck on finding a random french card in a german box.  Guess he won't be winning the lottery sometime soon.
[smiley=laugh.gif] [smiley=laugh.gif] [smiley=laugh.gif]thats right  your funny  [smiley=laugh.gif] [smiley=laugh.gif] [smiley=laugh.gif]
Collector of one of each Armageddon printed.

pickle.69

Post by pickle.69 » Tue Sep 28, 2004 11:07 am

I think we found the answer [smiley=idea.gif] why french cards are so expensive:
You need to buy tons of german displays to find a complete set.  [smiley=laugh.gif]
But then why are german cards also expensive?
Well maybe due to the fact that nowbody wants french cards? [smiley=sleeping.gif]
Sorry Eric, Alexis and co.   [smiley=evil.gif]
Collections needing help

Erl00
Librarities Legend

Post by Erl00 » Tue Sep 28, 2004 12:53 pm

Even if he had the video's of this it still is just a French card nothing special  ;D
I think you're right.

I guess this *can* happen however. I imagine that printing jobs at carta mundi are sequenced as in any other production plants. There are production lines (i.e. in this case Printing lines) and they have a job to perform (e.g. print 500,000 French CHK cards, all rarities and put them into booster packs).

When the job is finished, you check the machines, you empty them, you may clean them, etc. Then a new job restarts (e.g. e.g. print 500,000 German CHK cards, all rarities and put them into booster packs).

It may well be that someone skipped a few phases of the checking / cleaning process between two jobs and that a French Foil rare was still in the process when they started to print the German batch of cards.

I guess someone in France got a pack with no rare :)

Jamesbond's shop (well, the shop in which jamesbond worls, better said  ;D) once got 5 Spanish packs in a French box (it was when 8th edition came out I think).

Anyway, as many pointed out, it remains a French foil rare and has no more value than any other French foil rare.

Regards,
Eric.
Please help me finish my Boosters collection

jamesbond
Legendary Secret British Agent

Post by jamesbond » Tue Sep 28, 2004 8:58 pm

i work in a card shop.

3 month ago, we had founed spanish boosters in a french box. so all is possible.

the notable mispack i saw is a french box of fifth dawn with 4 rare per pack :o they had little "problems" because they were drafting.

why are you passing masticor? it's a first pick !!!!
I know , i ve take the foil one :o

Perruche87

Post by Perruche87 » Tue Sep 28, 2004 8:59 pm

like i open a homelands booster and all of the were p9 alpha mint conditions with a nude wowen and a duck drinking tea in the front
pffff.... [smiley=approve.gif]

Celebrindor

Post by Celebrindor » Tue Sep 28, 2004 9:04 pm

like i open a homelands booster and all of the were p9 alpha mint conditions with a nude wowen and a duck drinking tea in the front
pffff.... [smiley=approve.gif]
Is that kind of like the time i got a foil black lotus, a red hurricane, and all 10 summer duals in a mirrodin pack?
;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D

ende73
Legendary Righteous Phoenix Mage

Post by ende73 » Tue Sep 28, 2004 9:06 pm

I think we found the answer [smiley=idea.gif] why french cards are so expensive:
You need to buy tons of german displays to find a complete set.  [smiley=laugh.gif]
But then why are german cards also expensive?
Well maybe due to the fact that nowbody wants french cards? [smiley=sleeping.gif]
Sorry Eric, Alexis and co.   [smiley=evil.gif]

Well actually I really wanted the French Alpha and Beta Unofficial Sets and actually got them  ;D ;D ;D

... but then I guess you're all right, I wouldn't pay very much for a French card just because it was found in a German booster  ??? ??? ???

EDIT: Typo
Please note my change in e-mail (check profile)