My first attempt at a 3D card

Moderators: cataclysm80, hammr7, l0qii, Apocalypse2K, berkumps, dragsamou, mystical_tutor, pp

l0qii
Legendary Unfindable Title Moderator

My first attempt at a 3D card

Post by l0qii » Thu Feb 10, 2005 7:43 pm

Apathy House
Price Looker-Upper:Guide to Fake Cards:Vintage Ad Gallery
Looking for scans of any mtg ads! HELP!

mintcollector
Librarities Legend

Re: My first attempt at a 3D card

Post by mintcollector » Thu Feb 10, 2005 8:44 pm

Pretty good job for a trial run.  There are more layers you can easily do for a 3-D card.  A raised or lowered text box.  Also the background surrounding the charm iteself could actually be multi-layered more.

If you look at the original pic of a Chaos Charm:
http://www.findmagiccards.com/Cards/MR/Chaos_Charm.html

I'd question the choices you made regarding the surrounding yellow strands.  If you look closely, the yellow strands surrounding the card are acutally are a little overlaid on top of the charm itself near the bottom of the card.  So instead of the charm being the top most layer, it should actually be recessed near the bottom, but the top lower then the charm itself as the charm appears to jut out near the top.  This type of card could have had the strands angled for the 3-D effect.  So what I would have done is that the very bottom layer would have the top corner haziness of the background strands showing all the way through.  The layer on top of that would only have the charm in the picture box.  The next layer would also only have the charm.  The last picture layer would have all the foremost strands in it, then angled the strands so that the top portion would be secured to the bottom, 2 layers down gving the angled affect with the top most layer passing by the charm layer near the iris.  Due to the amount of strand detail I think you also may have gotten away with a double angle layer showing varying depths in the yellow foremost strands, but still supplying the angled affect.

I tnink you honestly chose a first tough choice to make a 3-D card from.  

I'd be interested to hear what you used in the manufacturing of the card and the overall process it took to complete.

l0qii

Post by l0qii » Thu Feb 10, 2005 8:58 pm

Thanks for the input. You're right about hte strand business, but angles would have been difficult for a first run. I chose a difficult card on purpose, just to see where my ability was at.

It took the better half of an afternoon to complete. The only thing I used was an exacto knife and a cutting board. I stuck the card together using regular elmer's glue, but for a more serious piece I'd use something better. Probably a spray adhesive. I plan on doing several more commons for practice. Hopefully I'll get better.
Apathy House

bigfatkitty
Legendary Overweight Cat Warrior

Post by bigfatkitty » Thu Feb 10, 2005 10:20 pm

I think you did a fine job for a first attempt.  I'd recommend using more cards to create depth and a bigger wow factor.   ;D
Solitary Member of Dragsamou's 'Dirty Frenchie' Fan Club.
Worshiped by all Netherlandians.

psrex
Librarities Legend

Post by psrex » Thu Feb 10, 2005 11:26 pm

I think you did a fine job for a first attempt.  I'd recommend using more cards to create depth and a bigger wow factor.   ;D
Don't some of the other 3D card makers use black spacers a couple mm thick to add more depth?  I would think that spacers would help add depth to the card without needing the extra time for all of the cutting.

l0qii

Post by l0qii » Thu Feb 10, 2005 11:47 pm

Don't some of the other 3D card makers use black spacers a couple mm thick to add more depth?
I do have spacers between each later. My spacers are just a card with the art cut out. I don't know what other people used.
Apathy House

psrex
Librarities Legend

Post by psrex » Fri Feb 11, 2005 12:27 am

I do have spacers between each later. My spacers are just a card with the art cut out. I don't know what other people used.
Here's the thread with mintcollector's Dakmor Sorceress:

http://www.magiclibrary.net/cgi-bin/yab ... ;start=0#0

The spacers used here are much thicker and look sharp.

I do like your effort on the Chaos Charm and think that it's great for a first card.  :)

mintcollector
Librarities Legend

Post by mintcollector » Fri Feb 11, 2005 1:22 am

The spacing material used is simple matting material you can find at any craft store selling framing/matting supplies.  You can get white, black, or whatever color you can get your hands on.  On my card, I opted to get a red ochre color to match the Dakmor background.

Now you may ask, why matting material versus just using a card?  Well it is stronger and more durable than cards will be.  If you use regular cards, you are subject to the damage a regular card can take.  Proper quality matting material will be more durable than a M:TG card used as a spacer and will add damage free life to the 3-D card.  

buster8001

Post by buster8001 » Fri Feb 11, 2005 9:27 am

Hey guys,

I am intrerrested in having a 3-D card made for me. I am not that artistic but I love these cards. If anyone is willing to make me one PM me with a price. Great job in the charm, looks awesome. Thanks.

Buster

l0qii

Post by l0qii » Fri Feb 11, 2005 7:24 pm

The spacing material used is simple matting material you can find at any craft store selling framing/matting supplies.  You can get white, black, or whatever color you can get your hands on.  On my card, I opted to get a red ochre color to match the Dakmor background.

Now you may ask, why matting material versus just using a card?  Well it is stronger and more durable than cards will be.  If you use regular cards, you are subject to the damage a regular card can take.  Proper quality matting material will be more durable than a M:TG card used as a spacer and will add damage free life to the 3-D card.  

Any idea what was used as an adhesive?
Apathy House

mintcollector
Librarities Legend

Post by mintcollector » Fri Feb 11, 2005 8:42 pm

Any idea what was used as an adhesive?
I don't, but why not email the creator and ask what adhesive he used.  You can find his email addy in my Dakmor post which is link above in this thread.