Help me restore this Mox Ruby !

Moderators: cataclysm80, hammr7, l0qii, Apocalypse2K, berkumps, dragsamou, mystical_tutor, pp

ende73
Legendary Righteous Phoenix Mage

Help me restore this Mox Ruby !

Post by ende73 » Wed Apr 13, 2005 3:10 pm

Hello,

I just received this card:

http://img51.echo.cx/img51/2737/unlmoxruby3aa.jpg

(warning: almost 1 MB due to high resolution)

As you can see, the phrase "not yours" appears next to the card type Artifact  [smiley=mad.gif] (but I did get the card for quite cheap after all  8) )

Any clue as to how I can remove it without damaging the card too much ?

Thanks for your help
Ende73
Please note my change in e-mail (check profile)

Jess
Legendary Wet Dreams Tokens Creator

Re: Help me restore this Mox Ruby !

Post by Jess » Wed Apr 13, 2005 4:15 pm

I couldn't tell about the ink mark, but I have a tip for the black 'fat' marks around the white edge.

I usually put a little saliva on a tissue and wipe the card gently, following the border. I've had good results so far.

If members have other tips for us, I'd be glad to hear. I've traded a beta mox ruby in quite a bad shape recently and I'd like to know if it's possible to restore it at least a bit. Some of the paper fibers from one of the corners have suffered from exposure to water (I guess). Is there any way to 'restore' them or at least to darken said corner?
Artist for Neo-Token.

Celebrindor

Post by Celebrindor » Wed Apr 13, 2005 4:32 pm

A slightly damp tissue has done wonders to the edges of some Revised duals of mine.  As a matter of fact, most of the marks on the whole card come off nicely with this method - try wiping at the ink, you will probably be able to at least lighten it.  

As a side note, if you do decide to use saliva, put the saliva on the tissue, not directly on the card - Unlimited duals taste BAD!

rick21n
Librarities Legend

Post by rick21n » Wed Apr 13, 2005 5:36 pm

A Nice Pencil Eraser has also worked wonders on some of my WB Cards.  Not all erasers are created equal however so some tests are needed.  Some soft pink erasers can leave pink marks (also erasable with a good eraser).  However I don't have any help for ink over the card picture.

psrex
Librarities Legend

Post by psrex » Wed Apr 13, 2005 6:11 pm

I would try to wipe off any grit or dirt with a damp tissue or finger but leave the writing.  Since the writing is on the card type line it seems that there's too much of a risk of damaging the coloring on this part of the card.  An eraser is likely to take off too much in my opinion.

Muldoon
Legendary Dragon Whelp Master

Post by Muldoon » Wed Apr 13, 2005 9:01 pm

Something I don't see mentioned here is USE EXTREME CAUTION; if that area becomes damaged because you rubbed a little too hard, well I think the card's value decreases quite a bit.
You can most likely never get it perfect, but with a little gentle work you should be able to make it nearly invisible :)
Good luck with it, and be careful!
Collecting Dragon Whelps! A/FBB/FWB/Summer/Alt4th/IE/TS/Test/Misprinted wanted!

l0qii
Legendary Unfindable Title Moderator

Post by l0qii » Wed Apr 13, 2005 11:22 pm

The grit on the edges is the easy part. The ink on the face is nearly impossible to remove without tarnishing the card, unless you're lucky and the ink is water soluable. I would recommend leaving it alone at this point.
Apathy House
Price Looker-Upper:Guide to Fake Cards:Vintage Ad Gallery
Looking for scans of any mtg ads! HELP!

RMayor
Librarities Legend

Post by RMayor » Thu Apr 14, 2005 3:00 am

I would just have the artist sign the card over the ink.

:D

But that's just me.

merfolkguy
Librarities Hero

Post by merfolkguy » Thu Apr 14, 2005 7:42 am

I would just have the artist sign the card over the ink.

:D
Rmayor = smErt.  Hell yes, do that.

Richard Garfield's signature might also go over it nicely...
Collecting Merfolk and Lords of Atlantis, 1 of each, every language, misprints, etc.

Atlantis - The Merfolk Project

Celebrindor

Post by Celebrindor » Thu Apr 14, 2005 8:11 am

just make sure they use a nice fat Sharpie ;)

mintcollector
Librarities Legend

Post by mintcollector » Thu Apr 14, 2005 9:24 am

The ink appears to be roller ball or black ball point.  Without damaging the coloration of the card there is no decent way to remove the markings.  Besides, the card gloss will have been indented anyways.  Leave it be or try to get a sig over it as suggested.

hammr7
Librarities Legend

Post by hammr7 » Thu Apr 14, 2005 11:29 am

Wizards built their cards well, so don't be shy about cleaning the edges.  I normally use Windex.  Just don't spray it directly on the card.  Instead, spray it on a paper towel and rub the edges gently with the wet towel.  If you are patient, virtually all the junk will come off the edges without damaging the card.

The ink is another story.  If it is from some sort of sharpie it will never come off.  It looks to faded to be sharpie from the scan, but without a close inspection you never know.  

If it is regular ink, then you might be able to use products that specifically target ink.  What you need is something that won't attack the wear coat.  The only way to be sure is to write on some cards (slightly worn revised basic lands should do), let the ink set for a week, then try to remove it  with minimal pressure on the card.  If you find a product that works on your sample, then you can try it on the mox.
Where have all the Magic sticker sets gone?