Card frame textures

Moderators: cataclysm80, hammr7, l0qii, Apocalypse2K, berkumps, dragsamou, mystical_tutor, pp

Iori_Yagami

Card frame textures

Post by Iori_Yagami » Thu Apr 21, 2005 4:33 pm

A weird question, but...
Does anyone know, or has older magic card front frame textures in a JPG format?
I mean not the card frames themselves (you can find them in Magic Suitcase installation directory, or in Magic Workstation files, or ...
What I ask is TEXTURES. I mean there are actually two for each frame - the frame itself texture, and the corresponding textbox texture. So the bluish marble one for blue, the cloudish one for blue, the wooden one for green, greenstone for green, rusty brown for artifacts, rainbow-style-glass for artifacts etc, soil style for lands, snowwy for Ice Age non-basic lands, grassy for Mirage non-basic lands... Yes, you got the idea. I'm seeking textures for putting them on [...] That would be saying... :)

victorcamp
Librarities Legend

Re: Card frame textures

Post by victorcamp » Thu Apr 21, 2005 10:02 pm

Here's some textboxes from the Legend era. The borders are easily trimmed. Is this the kind of thing you're looking for?

Iori_Yagami

Post by Iori_Yagami » Fri Apr 22, 2005 7:27 pm

Almost. ;)
See, that was just a high-resolution scan of the textbox without any text (how did you manage to hide text - advanced graphical editor, perhaps ::) )

Well, I think that the original texture was much bigger in size, and was cut to fit card frame.
Actually there are a lot of them. Let's count.

White:
Elder text box
Newer text box (marble)
Frame
Blue:
Text box(clouds)
Frame(blue marble)
Black:
etc etc.
Lands have a lot - 1 frame and many-many text boxes for basic lands, non-basic for different sets.
I guess that origainal design might be copyrighted by WotC, but as well might be not.

Well, to state this more clearly
A texture is just a piece of image, which aligned next to another one becomes whole. So, you could put any number of texture pieces to fill any surface, and the surface would look like it is painted in some particular style, without tiles being seen obviously.

Iori_Yagami

Post by Iori_Yagami » Fri Apr 22, 2005 7:57 pm

OK. I spent some my time and made more or less complete list.
1. Elder white texbox with hard sharp structure
2. Newer white texbox with softer structure
3. White frame
4. Blue textbox (clouds)
5. Blue frame
5. Black texbox (old scroll style)
6. Black frame (decay orangish)
7. Red textbox (almost plain)
8. Red frame (with cracks)
9. Green texbox (wooden plank)
10. Green frame (green marble)
11. Multicolor texbox (almost plain pink)
12. Multicolor frame (golden waves)
13. Artifact textbox (random mozaic pieces)
14. Artifact frame (rusty brown)
15. Land frame (with very-very gentle hint of earth surface, unlike post-8E lands)
16. Plains textbox (kind of cloudy white-yellow)
17. Island textbox (same but blue)
18. Swamp texbox
19. Mountain texbox
20. Forest textbox
21. Original Tropical Island (encircled lines style)
22. - 29. Other original dual lands
30. Arabian Nights non-basic (yellow)
31. Antiquities - brown
32. Legends (real gold)
33. Fallen Empires (purple)
34. The Dark (Red-purple)
35. Ice Age (Snowwy)
36. Homelands (somewhat green - not like forest)
37. Alliances (pinkish)
38. Mirage, Visions (grassy)
39. Newer non-basic (yellow)
40.-49. Newer duals (2 colors slightly flowing one into another)
50.-54. Urza's Saga non-basic (had color, but golden line around the box)

Basicall, that's all.
Correct me, if needed.

Again, textures themselves are needed. It's easy to make a scan, but to get the source... Thank you in advance.

victorcamp
Librarities Legend

Post by victorcamp » Sat Apr 23, 2005 6:12 pm

You are correct in that I used a graphics program to clean up a scan: Paint Shop Pro, my favorite.  :)

I have no original textures. It's laborious work. I start with a card having the smallest amount of text, then use various methods to eliminate it completely. If it has a recurring pattern, overlay from another area. If it's smooth enough, overlay from adjascent areas. As a last resort, pull pieces from several cards. None are perfect, and to do your complete list would take more time than I have.  :'(

Though I have some of them from previous cards I've done (e.g., Microprose and Dreamcast game cards to make them look real), I did the two above from scratch as an exercise. Sorry I can't help with more.