new filler card

Moderators: cataclysm80, hammr7, l0qii, Apocalypse2K, berkumps, dragsamou, mystical_tutor, pp

hammr7
Librarities Legend

Re: new filler card

Post by hammr7 » Wed Sep 22, 2004 7:18 pm

I love these mutual admiration societies, where adults get a chance to show there is still some kid in them.   :o

I would like to address the issue of Alternate 4th and UV coatings, as I have extensive experience with indudtrial printing.  

With the proper equipment (available to almost any print shop) I could coat any Magic card with a UV coating that would glow appropriately (just like alternate 4th) under a blacklight.  The key would be matching the luster (shine) and slip properties of normal cards.  Any good color matcher, with the appropriate tools, could formulate these properties in about 15 minutes.

However, the ability to coat cards with a UV coating does not mean that I could make alternate 4th cards.  Anyone with a magnifying glass can see that the printing method used on alternate 4th is completely different than that used on regular production Magic cards (4th or otherwise).  The color "dots" on alternate 4th are much smaller than regular issue cards, and the "dot pattern" on alternate 4th is random, while normal magic cards have a very regular dot pattern.  The two card types look approximately equivalent to the naked eye, but that is where the similarity ends.  

Given these differences, and the large number of alternate 4th cards in circulation, the explanation that they were part of a "second source" evaluation by Wizards is likely true.  If they were part of an unauthorized printing, I doubt the perpetrators would have spent so much effort on all those commons.  Alternate 4th cards didn't come from some foreign country, where copyright laws are lax, and labor is cheap.  They showed up, in force, in the Middle of the USA.  
Where have all the Magic sticker sets gone?

DanBock
Librarities Legend
Location: Madison, Wisconsin. Y'all bitches wished you lived here.

Post by DanBock » Wed Sep 22, 2004 7:24 pm

I would like to address the issue of Alternate 4th and UV coatings, as I have extensive experience with indudtrial printing.  

With the proper equipment (available to almost any print shop) I could coat any Magic card with a UV coating that would glow appropriately (just like alternate 4th) under a blacklight.  The key would be matching the luster (shine) and slip properties of normal cards.  Any good color matcher, with the appropriate tools, could formulate these properties in about 15 minutes.

However, the ability to coat cards with a UV coating does not mean that I could make alternate 4th cards.  Anyone with a magnifying glass can see that the printing method used on alternate 4th is completely different than that used on regular production Magic cards (4th or otherwise).  The color "dots" on alternate 4th are much smaller than regular issue cards, and the "dot pattern" on alternate 4th is random, while normal magic cards have a very regular dot pattern.  The two card types look approximately equivalent to the naked eye, but that is where the similarity ends.  

Given these differences, and the large number of alternate 4th cards in circulation, the explanation that they were part of a "second source" evaluation by Wizards is likely true.  If they were part of an unauthorized printing, I doubt the perpetrators would have spent so much effort on all those commons.  Alternate 4th cards didn't come from some foreign country, where copyright laws are lax, and labor is cheap.  They showed up, in force, in the Middle of the USA.  
This was my point, spoken with an eloquence I lack.

Thank you.

silver.paladin
Librarities Legend

Post by silver.paladin » Wed Sep 22, 2004 7:28 pm

This was my point, spoken with an eloquence I lack.

Thank you.
But is not the pen a finer weapon than the keyboard?   ;)
Oct 30, away until further notice

Ralph Herold
Legendary Magic Library Administrator

Post by Ralph Herold » Wed Sep 22, 2004 8:57 pm

silver.paladin: The keyboard is the pen of modern age.

inca911
Librarities Legend

Post by inca911 » Wed Sep 22, 2004 9:01 pm

Note that I've NEVER said Alternate 4th is fake.  You will not find any post where I make such a claim.  What I have said is that industry experts have told me that the UV coating part can be duplicated.  End of story, end of my claims.  hammr7 has also stated the same.  The printing differences are still there for Alternate 4th, but the UV method is the primary method for identification of these cards, which can be duplicated.  I'm not calling you a liar, Dan, and I never have.

I have said I'm 99% certain the filler card is a fake for the border reason.  Others have also noticed the same effect.

Hope you did well buying and selling at the prerelease!  I only stayed for the first pod then left by ~2.

DanBock
Librarities Legend
Location: Madison, Wisconsin. Y'all bitches wished you lived here.

Post by DanBock » Wed Sep 22, 2004 11:38 pm

Note that I've NEVER said Alternate 4th is fake.  You will not find any post where I make such a claim.  What I have said is that industry experts have told me that the UV coating part can be duplicated.  End of story, end of my claims.  hammr7 has also stated the same.  The printing differences are still there for Alternate 4th, but the UV method is the primary method for identification of these cards, which can be duplicated.  I'm not calling you a liar, Dan, and I never have.

I have said I'm 99% certain the filler card is a fake for the border reason.  Others have also noticed the same effect.
Not quite the end of your claims... you have said that you can make them. I'm just asking you to back up that claim.

I'm sure you can understand the effect that being able to make a specific kind of misprint would have on that misprint.

rgerards

Post by rgerards » Fri Oct 01, 2004 11:31 pm

Hi,

When opening kamigawa booster boxes I found a filler card.

Foil with only a small black border and a normal mtg back.

R.G.

Celebrindor

Post by Celebrindor » Fri Oct 01, 2004 11:38 pm

1.)  do you have a scan?

2.)  I want it

Giediprime41
Librarities Legend

Post by Giediprime41 » Sat Oct 02, 2004 12:05 am

Dan Bock has contacted me and reported a new filler card he discovered among his spare cards. He is not completely sure where the card is from but believes it originates from a preconstructed deck. I think it is odd that nobody has discovered this card before, so I wanted to publish it in the forum prior to adding it to the website. Here are photos:

MAN, Dan you've got some nice hands!
You should be a hand model, talk to Alexis about that. [smiley=smartass.gif]
You need to clip your fingernails though.
Darren ;D
I have enough cards to stack them all up, and commit suicide off the top!

Big Games Supply

Post by Big Games Supply » Sat Dec 25, 2004 3:34 am

What is the problem with this card?  I am sure that someone at WOC could back up his claim who works with the printing.

Right Dan???

Celebrindor

Post by Celebrindor » Sat Dec 25, 2004 3:45 am

I don't remember anymore....  ;)

In the end, I *do* believe it is real :)

Big Games Supply

Post by Big Games Supply » Sat Dec 25, 2004 4:14 am

Well who asked if you believe?  I am asking Dan.

Celebrindor

Post by Celebrindor » Sat Dec 25, 2004 4:34 am

Well who asked if you believe?  I am asking Dan.
Then you should have PM'd him.  Sorry for answering a question posted to a public forum.   ::)

Big Games Supply

Post by Big Games Supply » Sat Dec 25, 2004 8:00 am

sorry about that