These kind Auctions I hate

Moderators: cataclysm80, hammr7, l0qii, Apocalypse2K, berkumps, dragsamou, mystical_tutor, pp

johnstown713
Legendary Boy Of 713

Re: These kind Auctions I hate

Post by johnstown713 » Fri Oct 01, 2004 6:25 am

There is no reason someone should be allowed to use fake cards in a non-proxy tourny.  It is so wrong and is frowned upon.  Magic is a game and there is no reason to cheat.  There are proxy tournaments for a reason.  There are also plenty of competeative Budget decks out there.

ANALOG_KID
Legendary MTG Art Collector

Post by ANALOG_KID » Fri Oct 01, 2004 7:59 am

No matter how you slice it, they're FAKE! The seller admits it!
The seller has two up there (other is a Ruby) and currently they've got a combined bid of about $175 U.S.
He already sold a Pearl and a Jet for 67 and 107.
I don't care how good or pretty it is. That's an expensive proxy in any format.

Most likely either some unethical dealer or trader will buy them and trade or sell them as real to uninformed customer for HUGE profit, or some fool won't read the fine print and be disappointed. Caveat emptor.

If someone wants to knowingly spend that much on a couple of fakes, that's fine. Just don't get caught passing them off as real. Somebody might take it personal. [smiley=mad.gif]

I hate seeing things like this on auction or sale, because you know that somewhere along the line somebody was or is gonna get burned. :'(
Just my 2 pence.
Begin the day with a friendly voice...

hammr7
Librarities Legend

Post by hammr7 » Fri Oct 01, 2004 8:45 am

CE moxes have been selling on eBay for between $50 and $80 each, and in that form can't be anything but proxies.  Based upon the current prices for the rebacked CE Moxes, there doesn't seem to be that much of a premium when compared to the price of real Moxes.  So it is possible that rebacked Moxes are thought to be simply better proxies (you can play them as proxies in clear sleeves or without sleeves - which you can't do with regular CE cards), thereby justifying the small premium relative to the CE "proxies".  
Where have all the Magic sticker sets gone?

flatmatt
Legendary Wild Bear Tracker

Post by flatmatt » Fri Oct 01, 2004 8:49 am

Having the 'fake' cards just levels a playing field.  Having a fake card does not give any extra advantage or disadvantage to a player, unless they are marked somehow.  If these fake cards are virtually the same thickness as a regular card, and if it is in a sleeve, then really, what is the problem?  They are the same card, whether WOtC produced, or back-room created.  Just so long as the card is not marked in some way to identify it.
I'd argue that it doesn't level the playing field.  In fact, I'd say it gives more of an unfair advantage: to those people with horrible morals.

Obviously, this doesn't apply to proxy tournaments.  But then there's no point in having a realistic proxy rather than a Plains and a Sharpie.

tah

Post by tah » Fri Oct 01, 2004 7:01 pm

No matter how you slice it, they're FAKE! The seller admits it!

Most likely either some unethical dealer or trader will buy them and trade or sell them as real to uninformed customer for HUGE profit

I hate seeing things like this on auction or sale, because you know that somewhere along the line somebody was or is gonna get burned. :'(
Just my point... Or owners binder will be lost and they are sold afterwards as real ones...

If I need proxies, I do them as poorly enough or just leave them white-backed... Sometimes I modify word Proxy with photoshop in to the text box. Just to avoid any confusion :)
Noli turbare circulos meos.

And no, we do NOT have polar Bears in Finland

Archivist
Librarities Legend

Post by Archivist » Fri Oct 01, 2004 10:04 pm

(I usually get railed for posting these, but here goes.)

There are two things to do if you hate counterfeiters, like I do:
Boxes: @TCGPlayer | Singles: @CardShark | Trades: @PucaTrade

dry cereal
Legendary Part of a Complete Breakfast

Post by dry cereal » Fri Oct 01, 2004 10:37 pm

there have been SO MANY recently all selling for way too much.  On a similar note, is it legal to sell custom life-counters online?

I can't believe I ate the whole thing

Tha_Gunslinga
Librarities Legend

Post by Tha_Gunslinga » Fri Oct 01, 2004 11:17 pm

(I usually get railed for posting these, but here goes.)

There are two things to do if you hate counterfeiters, like I do:

Already filed with ebay.  If you can't afford the big cards, then play 5- or 10-proxy.

Giediprime41
Librarities Legend

Post by Giediprime41 » Sat Oct 02, 2004 12:16 am

Already filed with ebay.  If you can't afford the big cards, then play 5- or 10-proxy.
I agree, counterfeit cards are a real problem.
They play them in tournaments, sell them on ebay, it underminds everything a magic collector stands for.
Darren
I have enough cards to stack them all up, and commit suicide off the top!