Value: Summer Magic Serra Angel

Moderators: cataclysm80, hammr7, l0qii, Apocalypse2K, berkumps, dragsamou, mystical_tutor, pp

ende73
Legendary Righteous Phoenix Mage

Value: Summer Magic Serra Angel

Post by ende73 » Thu Apr 29, 2004 3:10 pm

Hi all, it's been a while since I last posted

I might be able to get hold of a Summer Magic (Edgar) Serra Angel  :o , and would like some advice on what its "correct" value might be.

Thanks for your help  :)

Ende73
Please note my change in e-mail (check profile)

Muldoon
Legendary Dragon Whelp Master

Re: Value: Summer Magic Serra Angel

Post by Muldoon » Thu Apr 29, 2004 5:03 pm

Since it after all is a Serra, I think the value is somewhere around 400 dollars.
I dont doubt some summer-crazy person would pay more, though :)

Edit: typo
Collecting Dragon Whelps! A/FBB/FWB/Summer/Alt4th/IE/TS/Test/Misprinted wanted!

Erl00
Librarities Legend

Post by Erl00 » Thu Apr 29, 2004 6:55 pm

Indeed, the Serra Angel is one of the most mythical card ever and its price in "special" versions is extremely high compared to traditional retail value of standard cards (cf. Artist proofs).

I would like to read Inca's input on this but I would expect a price more in the thousand dollars.

:)
Eric.
Please help me finish my Boosters collection

alotenor2
Librarities Legend

Post by alotenor2 » Thu Apr 29, 2004 8:26 pm

The Serra Angel is chief among what my friend Trevor calls "fetish cards" (Shivan Dragon, Vesuvan Doppleganger and a few others).  There are collectors of those cards that are willing to spend insane amounts of money for the really rare versions.

The last Summer Serra Angel that I saw on ebay was a little over two years ago.  It had a BIN of $1100 and was gone in less than a day.  I saw it and would have bought it except that I misread the BIN as being $11,000  :'(.  It was late at night and I had just looked at the seller's other auction, a Summer Hurricane with a BIN of $14,000, so there was at least some justification for the error.  I was mad at myself the next day when I discovered my error but by then it was too late.

I don't know if there is really a "correct value" but my guess would be that a nm or better Summer Serra Angel should be in the $1500 - $2500 range (I realize that that is quite a wide range).  If one were to appear on ebay with no BIN I would be very surprised if it went under $2000, particularly since there seem to be several very motivated buyers of ebay Summer cards over the last year or so.  If two or more people got into a bidding war I could easily see it going for much more than a Hurricane.  It is certainly harder to find than a Hurricane and there are probably fewer Serra Angels.

Don

Muldoon
Legendary Dragon Whelp Master

Post by Muldoon » Thu Apr 29, 2004 8:32 pm

I stand corrected, I didn't think that a card that after all exists in perhaps a dozen or more copies would fetch that much.
Dragon Whelp is my "fetish" card, but I sure hope I dont need to pay 1-2 grand for my summer one ;D
Collecting Dragon Whelps! A/FBB/FWB/Summer/Alt4th/IE/TS/Test/Misprinted wanted!

alotenor2
Librarities Legend

Post by alotenor2 » Thu Apr 29, 2004 8:40 pm

Dragon Whelp is my "fetish" card, but I sure hope I dont need to pay 1-2 grand for my summer one ;D
You shouldn't have to pay that much but if you are willing to I think I can find you at least one!

Don

Cyberellium

Post by Cyberellium » Fri Apr 30, 2004 3:28 am

Vesuvan Doppleganger was my favourite creature from the revised set so that would be my one :)
Magic: The Gathering: 1993 - 1999.

James_Hetfield2
Librarities Member

Post by James_Hetfield2 » Fri Apr 30, 2004 6:47 pm

I'd say it is worth $2000 or so.  If you get it and want to sell it let me know.