Value of original Magic art?

Moderators: cataclysm80, hammr7, l0qii, Apocalypse2K, berkumps, dragsamou, mystical_tutor, pp

Worth
Librarities Legend

Value of original Magic art?

Post by Worth » Tue Nov 08, 2005 12:52 am

I have a friend with some original Magic art she's looking to sell...any idea what this stuff is worth:

Junan Efreet (framed, UV glass, 2x Junan cards framed underneath, matted, etc)

Crystalline Sliver (framed, matted, no glass)

Moat (sketch only, framed with glass)

Cataclysm (no frame)

Su Chi (sketch only)

dragsamou
Administrator

Re: Value of original Magic art?

Post by dragsamou » Tue Nov 08, 2005 7:34 am

Worth wrote:I have a friend with some original Magic art she's looking to sell...any idea what this stuff is worth:

Crystalline Sliver (framed, matted, no glass)

Moat (sketch only, framed with glass)

Cataclysm (no frame)

Su Chi (sketch only)
Hi.
I have some Originals,you could bought them from 25$ to much more.
Depends of the size,of the frame,and the card sketched.
Want/Have Lists.
viewtopic.php?f=8&t=8903
viewtopic.php?f=7&t=1515
I Love you Dad.R.I.P.

hammr7
Librarities Legend

Post by hammr7 » Tue Nov 08, 2005 4:20 pm

It also depends upon whether it is the actual original, or one of a limited set of reprints.

Many early cards had limited printings (from 90 to 1,000) of the artwork. These were often numbered and signed by the artist. Unfortunately, you are often unable to see this information unless you remove the frame, as it was placed under the matting or on the back. You can now find many of these limited printings for less than $10.

Worth
Librarities Legend

well

Post by Worth » Tue Nov 08, 2005 6:42 pm

these are definitely 100% originals

squt
Legendary Misprint Error Collector

Post by squt » Fri Nov 11, 2005 11:04 pm

I have never seen a piece of original MTG card art sell for under $100, no matter how crappy the card is or how small the piece is. I bought Horrible Hordes, which is a fairly small original, for $600. I was able to pick up Waxmane Baku from The Hidebrant's web site for $350, and it's huge.

Many of the more well-known artists like RK Post, Mark Zug, Tony Diterlizzi, and Rebecca Guay charge $1000-$3000 for their pieces, especially if it's on a dragon or angel card, or other fan favorite.

Sketches go for much less - I bought Randy Gallegos's Cloudhoof Kirin sketch for $40 from him at Gen Con, and I think he wanted about $2000 for the original painting.

The pieces you listed are older and have less detail, but they're on pretty well-known cards. I'd value them like this, depending on size:

Junan Efreet (framed, UV glass, 2x Junan cards framed underneath, matted, etc) $400-$1000

Crystalline Sliver (framed, matted, no glass) $300-$700

Moat (sketch only, framed with glass) $80-$300

Cataclysm (no frame) $300-$700

Su Chi (sketch only) $50-$200

At least that is what I'd consider reasonable, and I've picked up a few originals in my time.

The sketches are cool, but it's hard to prove that they were the sketch proofs for the final art unless you have some kind of note from the artist.

Let us know if your friend decides to sell them - I'm sure there are a few of us here that would be interested.

Squt

mahdishain
Librarities Legend

Post by mahdishain » Sat Nov 12, 2005 4:03 am

i think squt's lower range prices seem in line with what i have seen and paid but the upper ranges seem optimistic. unless you get to bidders who really want one i don't see any of those pieces reaching those upper boundaries. i am just offering my limited experience to the discussion and not trying to suggest squt is way off, he is just trying to help as i am.

i have not seen a sketch sold for anything approaching $100, although moat is a historic card that could go that high. original art on ebay often goes unbid upon.

i may be interested in some of these especially the sketches as my budget is limited at this time.

practice peace

tom

Gonain

Post by Gonain » Sun Nov 13, 2005 7:11 am

I'm pretty sure Mike Elliot owns the original Junan Efreet art unless he sold it in the last 5 or 6 years. I don't remember the original Junan being framed with any cards either.

Worth
Librarities Legend

heh

Post by Worth » Sun Nov 13, 2005 7:13 am

No, he doesn't.

And I've seen it in the last week. It's framed, with 2 cards.

squt
Legendary Misprint Error Collector

Post by squt » Sun Nov 13, 2005 4:03 pm

I was taking in to account the framing in the price - it could add quite a bit to the value depending on the frame.

It might be tough to prove who has the real Junun Efreet...

SQUT

Big Games Supply

Post by Big Games Supply » Sun Nov 13, 2005 5:10 pm

squt wrote:I was taking in to account the framing in the price - it could add quite a bit to the value depending on the frame.

It might be tough to prove who has the real Junun Efreet...

SQUT
The fact that Worth works for wizards would lead me to believe that he has the correct contacts for the correct art.

Keep up the good work Worth.

james

Worth
Librarities Legend

art

Post by Worth » Sun Nov 13, 2005 9:21 pm

The couple I know that has it got it directly from Christopher Rush a long time ago. Maybe you're thinking of a different card?