Alternate 4th Edition.

Moderators: cataclysm80, hammr7, l0qii, Apocalypse2K, berkumps, dragsamou, mystical_tutor, pp

wizard1
Librarities Legend

Alternate 4th Edition.

Post by wizard1 » Thu Nov 02, 2006 6:37 am

What kind of premium do these cards pull? I was going through some of my cards and found a couple of them.

I went on ebay and see they're not too much. But just wanted to know.

yawg07
Legendary Chairman of Altered Art

Post by yawg07 » Thu Nov 02, 2006 6:29 pm

I was curious about this too, I was searching and noticed I had an Alternate 4th Balance

pickle.69
Legendary Shivan Dragon Master

Post by pickle.69 » Thu Nov 02, 2006 7:00 pm

prices are not high for these, the printrun is realy big. I hoenstly would not say more then max double of normal 4th.
Not realy much people care about these.

making a set though takes lots of time.
seld produckt sell for 3-4 times the normal 4th.
Collections needing help
Shivan Dragons http://beam.to/shivandragon
Alpha Dwarven Demo Team h: 5%
http://www.magiclibrarities.net/forum/v ... 9506#29506

hammr7
Librarities Legend

Post by hammr7 » Thu Nov 02, 2006 8:10 pm

Dealers still list high prices, but sealed starter boxes (10 decks) can occaisionally be found at $200 from a high of $800+.

The amount of product available is unknown, but there is certainly more than the earliest estimates. Initially there was an involved story that had US Playing Card Company destroying their entire print run (shredding and / or incineration). Supposedly only about 60 10-deck boxes survived, thanks to the efforts of employees who were supposed to destroy the cards. This would have worked out to approximately 15 of each rare. A more likely scenario would have a production run of 2000 to 4000 boxes, of which much (maybe all?) survived. This would work out to as many as 500 to 1000 of each rare.

This is still an extremely small print run, at least in Magic terms. And since at least some of the production ended up in general circulation (where it wore down rather quickly), its anyone's guess how many near mint sets are possible.

But 4th Edition never lived up to its predecessor, and the Alt. cards aren't noticably different unless you play in black light. In all likelihood the cards are currently desired only by advanced collectors (like me). Mainstream collectors will get more interested when we finally get a grasp on how common or rare the product is, and when it becomes more available at more reasonable dealer prices.

Archivist
Librarities Legend

Post by Archivist » Fri Nov 03, 2006 7:52 am

hammr7 wrote:The amount of product available is unknown, but there is certainly more than the earliest estimates. Initially there was an involved story that had US Playing Card Company destroying their entire print run (shredding and / or incineration). Supposedly only about 60 10-deck boxes survived, thanks to the efforts of employees who were supposed to destroy the cards. This would have worked out to approximately 15 of each rare. A more likely scenario would have a production run of 2000 to 4000 boxes, of which much (maybe all?) survived. This would work out to as many as 500 to 1000 of each rare.
I'm with you on this. There are obviously a LOT more cards out there than originally thought. My guess is that production was quietly shut down so that WotC would not have to announce that a significant percentage of 4th edition cards were marked. Keep in mind that opaque sleeves were unheard of in 1995 (simple clear "penny" sleeves were the main option until ~late 1996).
Boxes: @TCGPlayer | Singles: @CardShark | Trades: @PucaTrade

jacQues

Post by jacQues » Sat Nov 11, 2006 4:08 pm

The USA 4th edition was distributed worldwide at the end of the printrun by WotC. They _knew_ about it but didn't realise that there were notable differences. As far as I know they only shredded the ones that were left after they stopped shipping 4ed to distributers.