does buying fake cards reward bad behavior?

Moderators: cataclysm80, hammr7, l0qii, Apocalypse2K, berkumps, dragsamou, mystical_tutor, pp

mahdishain
Librarities Legend

does buying fake cards reward bad behavior?

Post by mahdishain » Wed Dec 17, 2003 12:21 am

greetings

i was reading about members aquiring their fake mox crystals in the website forum and it makes me wonder,
does knowingly purchasing fake magic cards encourage
people to create more fakes for profit?  i had considered
bidding on the dutch mox crystal auction myself until the owner confirmed that he had made them himself. his excuse that his actions were ok because the original mox crystal was fake struck me as a weak justification by someone who knew his action was wrong. the original five color crystal moxes were created (illegally) to reward players. he created his copies for profit. i think that if we reward him by purchasing his copies we encourage others to do similiar acts. do you think, as a forum, we should condemn this behavior or do you think it is acceptable? just wondering.
practice peace

Midtown

Re: does buying fake cards reward bad behavior?

Post by Midtown » Wed Dec 17, 2003 12:28 am

I dont believe anyone ican be of the opinon that creating fake cards for profit is a ligitimate hobby. However if the sole purpose is to create proxies for kids that cannot afford the more expensive cards (such as the proxy Black Lotus's on Ebay) and as long as they are clearly labed as fake then I am ok with them doing it. In terms of the Mox Crystal, the fact that its a third part 'fake' to begin with then its a whole new kettle of fish  ???
Mail me for prices on MTG original artwork.

bigfatkitty
Legendary Overweight Cat Warrior

BRe: does buying fake cards reward bad beha

Post by bigfatkitty » Wed Dec 17, 2003 1:01 am

I feel it will depend on the card.  His argument of a fake of a fake is pretty thin.  

As far as the card goes, he needs to work on the thinkness.  It's an obvious fake, but it sure looks nice in my binder.

I think the problem will solve itself once WOTC gets wind.  I can't see why they wouldn't shut this guy down.  Expect a call from Legal, Mr. Mox Crystal.
Solitary Member of Dragsamou's 'Dirty Frenchie' Fan Club.
Worshiped by all Netherlandians.

felagund

Post by felagund » Wed Dec 17, 2003 9:33 am

I guess if someone makes a proxy for sale, that proxy should clearly have "PROXY" written across the image!

Imagine being sent a fake for which you had paid a fortune, it makes me sick to think of it!

bigfatkitty

Post by bigfatkitty » Wed Dec 17, 2003 6:52 pm

Fakes sold as real items unfortunately seems to be where things are headed.  

The best action is to get all the information you can and deal with people who have good reputations.

dragsamou
Administrator

Post by dragsamou » Wed Dec 17, 2003 7:03 pm

Hi Members.
I will have no problems sleeping,thinking about my Fake Mox Crystal in my Binder when I will received it,since I know from the beginning that it's A FAKE:)
But,if I ever see a Real One again,I will be happy to buy it for comparizon,and to put it next to the Fake One  ;)
Want/Have Lists.
viewtopic.php?f=8&t=8903
viewtopic.php?f=7&t=1515
I Love you Dad.R.I.P.

blackfire100

Post by blackfire100 » Thu Dec 18, 2003 2:00 am

People that make money of af a fake is quite pethetic.
If he made those to use himself or he told people that it was a fake it would be ok. but to sell it on ebay and try to justify it, damn that's sad.
Image The Great One

silver.paladin
Librarities Legend

Post by silver.paladin » Thu Dec 18, 2003 3:51 am

If he made those to use himself or he told people that it was a fake it would be ok. but to sell it on ebay and try to justify it, damn that's sad.
I agree.  I bought the International Collectors set, so that I could copy all the good cards in there and have fakes for some of my own games.  Such as my sliver deck used dual lands, but looked so much nicer when it appeared that they used Beta Duals, as well as Beta Wheel of Fortune and Beta Fork.
But these cards were for my use.  I did not tell other players that they were fake, and why should I?  they looked real, and for bystanders watching me play, they thought all the Beta's (and looked minty too of course) were real and it just make my deck look 100Xs better than a deck with revised or other white-bordered cards in it.

Oh, and keeping with the thread here, I never sold or gave away my fakes.  I still have a bunch of them in a package somewhere, and if I do think of ever selling them, I will annouce that they are fakes.  Look minty fine on front, all white on back!!  Just like Jun!
Oct 30, away until further notice

chaosdjinn
Legendary Lurker

Post by chaosdjinn » Mon Dec 22, 2003 7:19 am

Sad? When I made the cards the goal was to save people a shitload of money 'if' they were interested in acquiring a Mox Crystal for their collection/deck/personal amusement.

'If' you weren't interested for any reason, then so be it.  

You may now keep your opinions to yourself.  

Remember, opinions are like assholes;
everyone has one and they all stink.
:-X

silver.paladin
Librarities Legend

Post by silver.paladin » Mon Dec 22, 2003 7:22 am

<p>  'If' you weren't interested for any reason then so be it.  You may now keep your opinions to yourself.  Remember, opinions are like assholes; everyone has one and they all stink. :-X
Sorry Chaosdjinn, but I have to disagree with you here. &nbsp;I used to know this one very fine lady, who modeled pantyhose, and her ass did not stink at all &nbsp; :D &nbsp;Was quite nice actually! &nbsp;:P
Oct 30, away until further notice

chaosdjinn
Legendary Lurker

Post by chaosdjinn » Mon Dec 22, 2003 7:24 am

Sorry Chaosdjinn, but I have to disagree with you here.  I used to know this one very fine lady, who modeled pantyhose, and her ass did not stink at all   :D  Was quite nice actually!  :P
lol &nbsp;;D

can I get her number?
:-*

chaosdjinn
Legendary Lurker

Re:  Â BRe: does buying fake cards reward bad

Post by chaosdjinn » Mon Dec 22, 2003 7:30 am

I feel it will depend on the card.  His argument of a fake of a fake is pretty thin.  

As far as the card goes, he needs to work on the thinkness.  It's an obvious fake, but it sure looks nice in my binder.

I think the problem will solve itself once WOTC gets wind.  I can't see why they wouldn't shut this guy down.  Expect a call from Legal, Mr. Mox Crystal.
The thickness was a troubling factory throughout the process. &nbsp;In the end I had to sacrifice thinness for card quality by choosing the correct paper.

dragsamou
Administrator

Post by dragsamou » Mon Dec 22, 2003 1:16 pm

Hi Members.
I wish,I could say something about those Moxes,but I did not received them yet &nbsp;:'(
Want/Have Lists.
viewtopic.php?f=8&t=8903
viewtopic.php?f=7&t=1515
I Love you Dad.R.I.P.

chaosdjinn
Legendary Lurker

Post by chaosdjinn » Mon Dec 22, 2003 11:38 pm

Hi Members.
I wish,I could say something about those Moxes,but I did not received them yet  :'(

Sorry about the delay- It is probably caught up in holiday mail. &nbsp;They should be arriving anyday now.
Matt

bigfatkitty

Post by bigfatkitty » Mon Dec 22, 2003 11:47 pm

That's right. &nbsp;The check is in the mail.