Columbus, Ohio - A new scammer?

Moderators: cataclysm80, hammr7, l0qii, Apocalypse2K, berkumps, dragsamou, mystical_tutor, pp

hammr7
Librarities Legend

Re: Columbus, Ohio - A new scammer?

Post by hammr7 » Thu May 12, 2005 9:16 pm

Sadly, the only way this whole situation is going to unravel is after the sales are completed.  If it is a scam (and if the guy can get his money out of Paypal) then he stands to make a fortune.   If it isn't a scam, then all the buyers will be happy, though none of them appear to be getting great deals, based on prices so far.

If there was a cheap card in the group, I might bid on it just to see what happens.  Maybe I'll go for his  "MTG Beta The Tabernacleat Pendrell Vale NM/MT"  Which is his last posted auction.   Of course, that depends upon whether it is still around when it is supposed to end.
Where have all the Magic sticker sets gone?

TerraFrost
Legendary Creature For Hire

Post by TerraFrost » Thu May 12, 2005 11:13 pm

Somebody could try emailing this alleged scammer and see if they could to an in-person transaction.  I think that'd go further than asking the seller to do escrow and only offer to pay part of it (which, incidently, is something that I wouldn't want to do - I mean, what happens if the winning bid is only a dollar over the previous bid and his part of the escrow fee is two dollars?  Then he's lost money)

Further, someone could offer to give him an extra $50.00 or so for an in-person transaction.  This would make it financially well worth his while to meet you in person.

All that said, something I've never understood is why those who stand to make a lot of money from MTG cards often don't include high quality scans in their auctions.  I mean, isn't the extra $100 or so dollars it might yield (due to its making buyers more confident) you for a P9 worth it?  At the very least, you could reuse other peoples images.  That's kinda dishonest, but if you're already ripping people off, then what do you care about honesty?
BLACK LOTUS DONATIONS NEEDED!

CURRENT COUNT: 0

ende73
Legendary Righteous Phoenix Mage

Post by ende73 » Fri May 13, 2005 8:05 pm

I think that'd go further than asking the seller to do escrow and only offer to pay part of it (which, incidently, is something that I wouldn't want to do - I mean, what happens if the winning bid is only a dollar over the previous bid and his part of the escrow fee is two dollars?  Then he's lost money)
Hi,

believe me, if somebody simply answers "I'd rather not" to my Escrow question (where I offered to cover most if not all fees myself, which meant leaving open a possible discussion on that issue), he is most likely a scammer.

I had several other occasions where I attempted to buy high-end items from suspicious or low feedback sellers, and when I asked that same question the answer was "of course, if you are willing to cover fees why not?"  8)
Please note my change in e-mail (check profile)

Celebrindor

Post by Celebrindor » Fri May 13, 2005 8:37 pm

Hi,

believe me, if somebody simply answers "I'd rather not" to my Escrow question (where I offered to cover most if not all fees myself, which meant leaving open a possible discussion on that issue), he is most likely a scammer.
I'm not sure about your logic there.  If someone asked me, i'd probably say no too, going through additional websites and services can be a pain in the ass.

ende73

Post by ende73 » Fri May 13, 2005 9:01 pm

I'm not sure about your logic there.  If someone asked me, i'd probably say no too, going through additional websites and services can be a pain in the ass.
Sure, you have 400+ feedback at 100% positive with several from Buyers  ;)

If I had zero feedback from buyers and suddenly started offering dozens of $100+ cards, and somebody e-mailed me saying "I'll bid on them if you can send through Escrow, and I'll cover fees myself", I guess I'd consider that a stroke of luck !
Or even if I'd still consider Escrow a pain (but why once I get it free  ???), I'd certainly take my efforts in putting together a different answer from "I'd rather not".

hammr7
Librarities Legend

Post by hammr7 » Tue May 17, 2005 7:33 pm

As an update, apparantly all the auctions from  the seller I was involved with, "compgeeky", were frauds.  The Paypal account was suspended, and eventually the eBay account was as well.  There were about 100 completed auctions, amounting to almost $10,000, before everything was stopped.

I was just wondering if anyone has an update on the eBay seller "wildwilliam56".  All those "Beta" cards went, for a huge money total, but no feedbacks on any of the auctions yet.  He also hasn't left any feedback yet.  If anyone was involved in these auctions, and has had any communication with the seller, I would be very interested in hearing about it.

His 144 Magic-related auctions had a final value of about $27,000.  If he actually produces the cards, he made a very savvy decision when he got them.  If not, it appaears we have a major problem with fraud for high grade (and high priced) magic items.

ende73

Post by ende73 » Thu May 19, 2005 9:46 pm

Now that's a rather bizzarre "positive" feedback Wildwilliam just received: http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Vi ... 5195580633  :o ??? [smiley=laugh.gif]

TerraFrost
Legendary Creature For Hire

Post by TerraFrost » Fri May 20, 2005 1:10 am

Positive feedback rating            Still waiting for contact from seller. Uneasy about sending money. Please email.
That's kinda a waste of a feedback...
BLACK LOTUS DONATIONS NEEDED!

CURRENT COUNT: 0

Tha_Gunslinga
Librarities Legend

Post by Tha_Gunslinga » Sat May 21, 2005 7:36 pm

AXIOS
Legendary Fungusaur Collector

Post by AXIOS » Mon May 23, 2005 11:41 am

is there some kind of clue i don't get? ???
Fungusaur legend
find me on facebook: nico jongsma
into all kind of fungusaurs and bog wraiths, especially foreign, misprinted

Tha_Gunslinga
Librarities Legend

Post by Tha_Gunslinga » Mon May 23, 2005 9:00 pm

is there some kind of clue i don't get? ???
Absurdly cheap cards (at least, some of them; I saw three under-$300 Moxen) and huge amounts of feedback from compgeeky.

ende73

Post by ende73 » Tue May 24, 2005 6:09 pm

hammr7
Librarities Legend

Post by hammr7 » Fri May 27, 2005 8:02 pm

Now that's a rather bizzarre "positive" feedback Wildwilliam just received: http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Vi ... 5195580633  :o ??? [smiley=laugh.gif]

Wild William just got his first positive feedback from all those Beta cards.  It will be interesting to see if everyone gets their cards.  If so, the way he handled his auctions probably cost him an extra $5,000 or more.

ende73

Post by ende73 » Fri May 27, 2005 9:09 pm

Wild William just got his first positive feedback from all those Beta cards.  It will be interesting to see if everyone gets their cards.  If so, the way he handled his auctions probably cost him an extra $5,000 or more.
Yeah, just noticed too.

That's truly good news, having a non-scammer out there sometimes (hopefully)  :D

squt
Legendary Misprint Error Collector

Post by squt » Fri May 27, 2005 9:39 pm

I don't know if he is a scammer...i'd need to see a couple more feedback to be sure, but he got positive feedback on the mox jet!

Squt