Things NOT to do when shipping

Moderators: cataclysm80, hammr7, l0qii, Apocalypse2K, berkumps, dragsamou, mystical_tutor, pp

Celebrindor

Re: Things NOT to do when shipping

Post by Celebrindor » Sat Jun 18, 2005 5:54 am

I am not one to ship out a lot as I buy WAY more then sell or trade online.  When I do sell/trade, I use an inverted penny sleeve in a top loader.  Then the top loader is sealed in a team bag (those clear plastic bags with the adhesive flap).  Then the top loader is tightly moved to one side and the excess top and side are taped down with scotch tape.  For multiple cards (3+), each card is penny sleeved and then two top loaders are used as braces on either side.  Scotch tape is use on all 4 sides, with one piece used for stability.  The taped top loader stack is then put into a team bag and secured as above.  In all cases adequate card protection is provided (also against water damage), but at no time are the cards hard to remove.  Only the team bag might get sticky with the tape, but the cards never are in risk of damage.  Ralph is a common recipient of the latter method from me, but others here have received packages like this from me.

I have received the packing taped top loaders though and agree this is a pain to deal with.  I had one that had the whole top sealed.  To the point that it was better to use a knife and crack the top loader open on the side to minimize any damage to the card.
Thats exactly what I had to do - cut the 3 sides of the toploader with a boxcutter.

implode
Legendary Dragon Master Collector

Post by implode » Wed Jul 13, 2005 11:11 pm

well I have a solution...

1) put card in sleeve
2) put sleeve in toploader
3) Fold paper in thirds with toploader in middle, fold top third down, fold bottom third up. Scoot top loader to middle fold right half to the left. Turn bottom corner to center to form flap. Put left flap into the right created pocket. Bravo--Implode taught you an orgami trick.

The card is now easily removable, but at worst won't slip out because of the sheath. I have been doing this for many years--it really really works well. Plus the piece of paper can be a note with the details of the trade.

normalbrains
Librarities Member

Post by normalbrains » Thu Jul 14, 2005 4:38 am

i have had several cards come partially out of their top loader during shipping, including an alpha lotus that was sticking a 1/4 inch out when i opened the bubble mailer. the tape can be obnoxious, though. i prefer a thick sleave inside the top loader that fits snug and cant be easily moved.

on an unrelated note, i recieved two moxes from ebay in a bubble mailer that were naked with absolutely no protection. i was pissed about that but somehow they werent damaged at all. i also recieved an unlimited lotus in an envelope that was literally soaking wet. this was the only wet package i have ever recieved. the sender sent it in a plastic sleave inside a screw down case and it was completely dry. if it had only been in a screw-down with no plastic sleave, it would have been ruined.

when recieving high end cards, be dilligent and request the shipping youd prefer. when sending, i try to also put all cards inside a ziploc bag for extra protection against water damage.