eBay questions: please help.

Moderators: cataclysm80, hammr7, l0qii, Apocalypse2K, berkumps, dragsamou, mystical_tutor, pp

normalbrains
Librarities Member

eBay questions: please help.

Post by normalbrains » Fri Sep 23, 2005 11:45 am

I need some advice. Im going be selling a bunch of cards on eBay very shortly. assuming i want to get the most money possible, would i be better off selling cards by the playset or individually? for instance would a playset of 4x workshops sell for more or less than 4 individual auctions? would a playset of 40x duals have a premium over selling them them individually or in 4x's? im gong to do some research, but if anybody here has experience or advice, im all ears. thanks

allyn

dragsamou
Administrator

Re: eBay questions: please help.

Post by dragsamou » Fri Sep 23, 2005 12:35 pm

normalbrains wrote:I need some advice. Im going be selling a bunch of cards on eBay very shortly. assuming i want to get the most money possible, would i be better off selling cards by the playset or individually? for instance would a playset of 4x workshops sell for more or less than 4 individual auctions? would a playset of 40x duals have a premium over selling them them individually or in 4x's? im gong to do some research, but if anybody here has experience or advice, im all ears. thanks

allyn
Hi.
I believe that by Selling them individually,you will get more money.Just my opinion :wink:
Want/Have Lists.
viewtopic.php?f=8&t=8903
viewtopic.php?f=7&t=1515
I Love you Dad.R.I.P.

Gryfalia
Legendary Epic Store Owner

Post by Gryfalia » Fri Sep 23, 2005 3:39 pm

Almost always selling in smaller groups makes you more money. This is because people might have the disposable income to purchase 4 Taigas, but not enough for a full set of 40 lands.

The issue is, of course, that you have more up-front fees, and more hassle. When I was selling off the 500 or so Duals I did over the last couple years, I started with 40 card sets just to get rid of some bulk, then started at 4-per sets.

Of course, in retrospect, I wish I was starting today instead of 2 years ago, but I digress..;-)

Gryfalia

Mr.C
Librarities Legend

Post by Mr.C » Fri Sep 23, 2005 3:57 pm

Gryfalia wrote:Almost always selling in smaller groups makes you more money. This is because people might have the disposable income to purchase 4 Taigas, but not enough for a full set of 40 lands.

The issue is, of course, that you have more up-front fees, and more hassle. When I was selling off the 500 or so Duals I did over the last couple years, I started with 40 card sets just to get rid of some bulk, then started at 4-per sets.

Of course, in retrospect, I wish I was starting today instead of 2 years ago, but I digress..;-)

Gryfalia
yah, you could have bought a car :p

coolio
Librarities Legend

Post by coolio » Fri Sep 23, 2005 11:20 pm

i think duals in their respective playsets.. and workshops as singles..

course.. it'd help if you had great feedback so u can post some outrageous BINs ;D :wink:

hammr7
Librarities Legend

Post by hammr7 » Sat Sep 24, 2005 3:58 am

You want to balance the extra money you get from smaller lots, or even singles, against the added costs from dealing with eBay and Paypal and the extra hassle of shipping and handling with single cards.

My experience is that any single, or lot of cards, that sells between $30 to $60 is usually optimal. Obviously any single card that goes for more than that price should be sold singly, and the only possible exception to that rule are certain playsets (like duals, FOWs,and a few others) where the final price is in the $70 to $120 range.

normalbrains
Librarities Member

Post by normalbrains » Mon Sep 26, 2005 3:14 pm

thanks for the tips. one more question.

is this a good time to sell? with a new popular set just coming out, will collectors be focusing on the new set and ignoring their other collecting needs?

i just started putting some stuff up if anybody wants to check it out:

http://search.ebay.com/_W0QQsassZnormalbrainsQQhtZ-1

dragsamou
Administrator

Post by dragsamou » Mon Sep 26, 2005 3:28 pm

normalbrains wrote:thanks for the tips. one more question.

is this a good time to sell? with a new popular set just coming out, will collectors be focusing on the new set and ignoring their other collecting needs?

i just started putting some stuff up if anybody wants to check it out:

http://search.ebay.com/_W0QQsassZnormalbrainsQQhtZ-1
Hi.
I checked it out,I hope I can get a better price for Shipping :wink:
PS:More Stuff interest me,so I will pay for everything at once.Thanks.
Want/Have Lists.
viewtopic.php?f=8&t=8903
viewtopic.php?f=7&t=1515
I Love you Dad.R.I.P.

psrex
Librarities Legend

Post by psrex » Mon Sep 26, 2005 5:35 pm

normalbrains wrote: is this a good time to sell?
I would wait just a little bit longer. Enough of the people who buy cards are in school and could be settling in and not yet have resumed all of their Magic habits. Definitely get all of your selling done before Thanksgiving as the Christmas season really sucks for getting good prices (you want to be buying lots then).

As far as pricing, I find that if you set a BIN price of just under the top historical price that you can get that amount about 60% of the time. If an item hasn't sold after 4-5 days then drop the price a bit, and don't be afraid to relist things. You'll get your relisting fees back when your item sells anyway.

implode
Legendary Dragon Master Collector

Post by implode » Wed Sep 28, 2005 5:44 am

Individual sales mean the ability to hide handling fees more often....

normalbrains
Librarities Member

Post by normalbrains » Thu Sep 29, 2005 10:28 am

i just put up a few signed artist proofs if anybody is interested in those.

bertrand

Post by bertrand » Sun Oct 02, 2005 7:05 pm

I have cards signed by Anthony Waters and they don't look like that. :roll:

normalbrains
Librarities Member

Post by normalbrains » Sun Oct 02, 2005 7:18 pm

well put up a picture of yours, big shot. are you trying to insinuate something?

Lasbrook

Post by Lasbrook » Sun Oct 02, 2005 7:35 pm

Those look like they have his full signature. Waters cards that I have signed and others i've seen just have his initials.

normalbrains
Librarities Member

Post by normalbrains » Sun Oct 02, 2005 7:45 pm

hence, these are much more rare and valuable :D