Irresponsible Seller? Or Am I Just Picky?

Moderators: cataclysm80, hammr7, l0qii, Apocalypse2K, berkumps, dragsamou, mystical_tutor, pp

Plastered_Dragon
Librarities Legend

Irresponsible Seller? Or Am I Just Picky?

Post by Plastered_Dragon » Tue Feb 14, 2006 2:43 am

Okay fellow collectors. It is in my nature to second guess myself. I'm having problems with an ebay seller and I want to know if I am not being fair. I welcome your opinions/advice on this matter.

Here's the story:

I won this auction for a complete set of Betrayers of Kamigawa. I've been purchasing more sets than usual lately because I just don't have time to trade like I used to and I'm trying to catch up on the sets that came out during my hiatus.

Shipping was a little bit on the slow side for state-to-state (11 days), but no biggie. Plus shipping was expensive ($13+) because the seller insisted on shipping the cards in a binder, but no biggie there either, as long as the cards are properly protected.

However I am extremely unhappy with what I received.

First of all, AFAIK (and correct me please if I'm wrong) the words "complete set" mean all the same printing, all the same format (i.e. foil/nonfoil), and all the same language. Any exceptions to that and it is a "near-complete set" or simply a "card lot".

Some of the cards in the bundle I received are foils, and now I need to waste time, effort, and money to replace them with the nonfoil versions so I can complete the set (which is exactly what I was trying to avoid when I bought the set.) I asked the seller to replace the foils. The sellers response? All the cards are there numbered from 1 to 165, so the set is complete. If I didn't want foils, I should have asked up front if the set included foils. Therefore, it's my problem.

Problem number two: the "binder" that the seller chose to ship the cards in is the flimsiest, cheapest, P.O.S. o-ring binder I've ever seen. It clearly was not made to hold cards. Further, the seller didn't wrap the binder covers with bubble wrap. As a result of poor binder quality and inadequate packing measures, some of the pages bound up on the rings and 4 of the cards were damaged. The auction listing describes them all as NM. I asked the seller to also replace the 4 damaged cards. The seller's response? The auction said the cards were being shipped in a binder. If I had a problem with that I shouldn't have bid. Further, I should have purchased shipping insurance, but didn't . Therefore, it's my problem.

In my opinion the seller misrepresented the item (complete sets don't contain a mix of print formats) and didn't adequately protect it (padding between binder covers and pages, or a proper card binder, or forget the binder altogether and ship in a 200 count box).

As far as I'm concerned the seller owes me replacement cards, or should pay my shipping expense to return this item and refund my payment. The seller obviously feels otherwise. Who's right?
-- Plastered_Dragon -- A.K.A. Chuck Seggelin
* The Stone Rain Project v2.0 * My Blog *

psrex
Librarities Legend

Post by psrex » Tue Feb 14, 2006 3:02 am

I agree that the seller is at fault on all counts. When buying a set I would certainly expect everything to be non-foil, and I would expect proper packing for shipment. Purchasing insurance in this case would do you no good. I really doubt that the package itself was damaged by the Post Office, so they would not reimburse for the damaged cards.

That said, whenever I win an auction that states that the items are in a binder I explicitly request that the seller throw away the binder and send me the pages, just for the reason that you ran into.

I would ask for a partial refund rather than going through the hassle of returning everything. In any case, certainly open up a dispute with either PayPal or Ebay if you can't work something out soon.

dry cereal
Legendary Part of a Complete Breakfast

Post by dry cereal » Tue Feb 14, 2006 4:52 am

if you want, send me the foils and I'll send you the cards if I can. I guess the guy thought he was being nice and was peeved that it wasn't appreciated. The binder issue: he is responsible, but sh*t happens. Assuming the cards were no great shakes, arguing over a moral issue isn't worth the time. Leave him feedback as you see fit and I will try to complete your set.

hammr7
Librarities Legend

Post by hammr7 » Tue Feb 14, 2006 5:22 am

I understand your disappointment. I had the same problem with a binder, years ago. The big difference was that one of the cards damaged by the o-rings was a black lotus (front page, middle-left pocket). Sadly, since condition wasn't noted, and since the binder had been noted, I had little to argue about. Of course, the lotus was worth a tiny fraction of what it goes for today.

I learned that despite the best of intentions, many sellers are clueless about "best practices" in packaging. I have therefore learned to be proactive about winnings. I never take cards in binders. I specifically ask that the plastic sheets be wrapped in paper, or at least taped together. If part of a bigger collection, I ask that the sheets be put in a large manilla envelope. Its a little more work on my part, but I have never had a problem since.

As for the foils, almost everyone I know considers them an upgrade. Virtually anyone would trade a non-foil card for its foil equivalent. Sets containing a mix normally go for more than strictly non-foil sets. The seller would have optimized his price had he noted that foils (especially rares) were included.

Consider this to be a learning experience. The seller meant well, and wasn't intending to deceive you. My guess is that if you post a list of the cards you need, forum members will help out. And should you ever have the opportunity to get a big $$$ set, you'll know to remind the seller not tosend it in its binder. At today's prices, I wouldn't wish my Black Lotus experience on my worst enemy.

Plastered_Dragon
Librarities Legend

Post by Plastered_Dragon » Tue Feb 14, 2006 2:07 pm

Some of the foils were damaged too.

I realize the foils are considered to be worth more, but my understanding is that a complete set *never* contains a mix of print formats. Period. Is that incorrect?

As it is, in looking over my other Betrayers cards, I can replace a couple of the damaged cards myself. That leaves:
  • Day of Destiny (damaged, rare)
  • Final Judgement (damaged, rare)
  • Kami of the Honored Dead (damaged, uncommon)
  • Scour (foil, uncommon)
  • Flames of the Blood Hand (foil, uncommon)
  • Lifegift (foil, rare)
  • Genju of the Realm (foil, rare)
Does anyone want to just sell me the cards I need, outright? I'll pay with paypal. Or perhaps I can trade a foil for the nonfoil version plus one of the damaged cards. Feel free to contact me. Clearly the seller isn't going to work with me on this.
-- Plastered_Dragon -- A.K.A. Chuck Seggelin
* The Stone Rain Project v2.0 * My Blog *

rick21n
Librarities Legend

Post by rick21n » Tue Feb 14, 2006 2:41 pm

Plastered_Dragon wrote:Some of the foils were damaged too.

I realize the foils are considered to be worth more, but my understanding is that a complete set *never* contains a mix of print formats. Period. Is that incorrect?

As it is, in looking over my other Betrayers cards, I can replace a couple of the damaged cards myself. That leaves:
  • Day of Destiny (damaged, rare)
  • Final Judgement (damaged, rare)
  • Kami of the Honored Dead (damaged, uncommon)
  • Scour (foil, uncommon)
  • Flames of the Blood Hand (foil, uncommon)
  • Lifegift (foil, rare)
  • Genju of the Realm (foil, rare)
Does anyone want to just sell me the cards I need, outright? I'll pay with paypal. Or perhaps I can trade a foil for the nonfoil version plus one of the damaged cards. Feel free to contact me. Clearly the seller isn't going to work with me on this.
I should have all of these that I can send down to you. I will check when I get home from work if nobody else has found them for you.

coolio
Librarities Legend

Post by coolio » Wed Feb 15, 2006 4:39 am

well, one would normally expect a set to be all non foil, unless stated as a partial foil/non foil or all foil set. this is common expectation.

i also never send stuff in a binder.. stuff in pages perhaps, wrapped in paper or bubble wrap.. but not with the binder.. ugh.. the lack of common sense in some sellers..

-Morgan