best card storage?

Moderators: cataclysm80, hammr7, l0qii, Apocalypse2K, berkumps, dragsamou, mystical_tutor, pp

Siddhartha

best card storage?

Post by Siddhartha » Wed Jun 09, 2004 10:41 pm

I played Magic in 1993-94 and like so many people, forgot about the cards as I grew up. Discovered them in my closet last year and in a fit of nostalgia, began collecting the older sets.

I wanted to get the thoughts of veteran collectors on the best storage/display for valuable cards. I am currently using Ultra Pro Platinum 9-card sheets in D-ring binders, which is fairly sound for my purposes, however, I find that the cards have a tendency to "ride up" and expose the top edge. I wouldn't want to store a Mox or Black Lotus like this, but by the same token, I dislike storing cards in individual holders as I find it difficult to enjoy a collection that way.

I would love to hear some discussion of how the members of this forum store their cards. Are there any professional-grade products available that provide excellent protection AND are conducive to browsing a collection?

silver.paladin
Librarities Legend

Re: best card storage?

Post by silver.paladin » Wed Jun 09, 2004 10:54 pm

Personally, all that I do is store each card in an individual sleeve (Ultra Pro's), and then insert 2 cards back to back in the binder pages.  This keeps the cards from slipping out, and I can use front and back of the binder.  And since the sleeves are big enough to cover the cards completely, not pressing on the cards to insert them in the binder pages, so no damage to cards either.
Oct 30, away until further notice

hammr7
Librarities Legend

Post by hammr7 » Wed Jun 09, 2004 11:03 pm

I tried binders, and they are great for presentation.  Unfortunately, I found the binder pages had a tendency to get marked by the binder rings.  I actually had a mox (among others) get indented as a result.

I now use boxes exclusively, with cards in individual sleeves.  Its a little more work, and a little harder for presentation purposes, but the cards are always secure.
Where have all the Magic sticker sets gone?

Archivist
Librarities Legend

Post by Archivist » Wed Jun 09, 2004 11:14 pm

My strategy is similar to Hank's. Most of my cards are stored in 3200 ct. cardboard boxes, with simple card sleeves on the more valuable ones. I have an Ultra-pro Zippered D-ring 9-pocket Album for the cards I have for trade, but I also use the 10-page 9-pocket albums for presenting really nice sets or rarities. I usually do two cards, front and back in each slot.

Edit: added links
Boxes: @TCGPlayer | Singles: @CardShark | Trades: @PucaTrade

Muldoon
Legendary Dragon Whelp Master

Post by Muldoon » Wed Jun 09, 2004 11:22 pm

I just have mine in 9 page binder pockets, one card on each side, and as I'm the only one handling the binders the cards never get damaged. I always handle the binders with care ;)
And my p9 has been just fine for quite some time in that binder. If you bring the binder along to stores and stuff though it's probably not so safe for the cards.
Collecting Dragon Whelps! A/FBB/FWB/Summer/Alt4th/IE/TS/Test/Misprinted wanted!

mintcollector
Librarities Legend

Post by mintcollector » Thu Jun 10, 2004 2:15 am

My storage solution I use is an hybrid of others used here.  For sets I store each card in an ultra pro clear sleeve, but the sleeve is upside down and the ultra pro logo is on the back to fully view the front of the card.  Then each card is put 9 to a page only using one side.  The reason for the upside down sleeve is help prevent the card from riding up, but if it does, the top edge is protected somewhat.  Also only 9 to a page allows viewing the back.  

It is important to get good quality D-ring binders as a d-ring, if not overfilled, will never damage cards.  All my binders are then stored on their private bookshelf.

I maintain a private binder for cards I wish to play with that is never used for trade.

Trade stuff goes into penny sleeves and stored in those white cardboard resin boxes everyone typically has.  

Extra stuff goes in 5000 card count boxes stores sorted by color, then alphabetically.  I will sort booster box extra stuff (commons and uncommons) by color then alphabetically and about once a year I integrate them into the main backstock.

It's a lot of work, and the ultra pro products cost a bit, but are definitely worth protecting your investment.  I've never had a card casualty as a result, and nor should you if proper care is taken.

Ralph Herold
Legendary Magic Library Administrator

Post by Ralph Herold » Thu Jun 10, 2004 2:44 am

I store my cards in Ultra Pro Platinum soft sleeves and insert them with the sleeve in Ultra Pro 9 pocket binder pages which are stored in Ultra Pro binders. I have made the unpleasant discovery that it is imporant to store the binders sidewards, not upright, as by doing the latter, the uppermost binder pages sometimes wander along the rings and allow the cards placed nearest to the rings to become stuck between the lid of the binder and the rings which causes press marks. I found out the hard way, and up to this date, I am still looking to replace some creased but otherwise mint Beta cards.

hammr7
Librarities Legend

Post by hammr7 » Thu Jun 10, 2004 3:02 am

Ralph,

That is exactly the problem that I had.  I have seen some companies that have file folders specifically designed to hold binders sideways.  They have attachments that clip on the binder, and each binder has a rod that allows it to hang freely.  Similar systems are used by libraries for holding large (or multi-part) books.  They allow you to flip up any binder you want, and then open it on top of the other binders.  Unfortunately these seem quite expensive.
Where have all the Magic sticker sets gone?

dry cereal
Legendary Part of a Complete Breakfast

Post by dry cereal » Thu Jun 10, 2004 4:10 am

rubberbands and tupperware
I can't believe I ate the whole thing

Tenacious_Dyl
Librarities Legend

Post by Tenacious_Dyl » Thu Jun 10, 2004 4:33 am

I use new binders that have the 9-card pages melted in. There are *no* rings. The top and bottom of the binders are soft too. (with a hard center) Then, each card is in it's own sleeve, and i store two cards (back and front) in each one-card slot, to keep them tight, and maximize storage. Never had any problems. I do however have a few d-ring binders for more casual trading. Had a few cards creased... but nothing of worth.

dry cereal

Post by dry cereal » Thu Jun 10, 2004 4:41 am

I used those ultrapro binders with the no rings.  I like to put the cards into sleeves first though.  When the sleeves go in, they are all bendy, and I don't like that, so I usually end up shoving a whole mess of cards in them for some reason or another, then they get stretched out, then I put a bunch of worthless shadowfist cards into them.  Thus, I have resorted to rubberbands and tupperware.  I then store that in the fridge...where no one would suspect.

silver.paladin
Librarities Legend

Post by silver.paladin » Thu Jun 10, 2004 4:54 am

I used those ultrapro binders with the no rings.  I like to put the cards into sleeves first though.  When the sleeves go in, they are all bendy, and I don't like that, so I usually end up shoving a whole mess of cards in them for some reason or another, then they get stretched out, then I put a bunch of worthless shadowfist cards into them.  Thus, I have resorted to rubberbands and tupperware.  I then store that in the fridge...where no one would suspect.
Ohh.  Fridge would have been my second guess - my first guess would have been the oven.
Oct 30, away until further notice

dry cereal

Post by dry cereal » Thu Jun 10, 2004 5:01 am

after the little 'accidents' I don't put any cards in the oven...

TerraFrost
Legendary Creature For Hire

Post by TerraFrost » Thu Jun 10, 2004 5:17 am

I also use the 10-page 9-pocket albums for presenting really nice sets or rarities. I usually do two cards, front and back in each slot.
i use that, too, for my more prized cards.

for my non so prized rare cards, i simply use a 3 ring binder.

for everything else, i use boxes.  some boxes are sorted both alphabetically and by set, but most aren't...
BLACK LOTUS DONATIONS NEEDED!

CURRENT COUNT: 0

Erl00
Librarities Legend

Post by Erl00 » Thu Jun 10, 2004 3:35 pm

I use soft sleeves and 3-ring binders but I especially take care of displaying the binders "laid down" to avoid any damage from the rings on the cards.

Rarities and special stuffs are stored in albums.

Regards,
Eric.
Please help me finish my Boosters collection