big $$ theft

Moderators: cataclysm80, hammr7, l0qii, Apocalypse2K, berkumps, dragsamou, mystical_tutor, pp

blackfire100

big $$ theft

Post by blackfire100 » Wed Dec 24, 2003 7:41 pm

StarCityGames has recently had a break-in at the warehouse. They are offering $10,000 in cash for information that leads to the arrest of the guilty
person(s). And if you recover the cards, the prize will be even more!  They must have lost ALOT to offer this much money...
Image The Great One

Tenacious_Dyl
Librarities Legend

Re: big $$ theft

Post by Tenacious_Dyl » Wed Dec 24, 2003 7:45 pm

I'll take 2 guesses:

1) just tons of cases/boxes of old type 1 stuff they were storing.

2) cards from the new set, that they obviously don't want getting out, or legal issues (that is, if some stores have it yet... nvm... probably not..)

dry cereal
Legendary Part of a Complete Breakfast

Post by dry cereal » Wed Dec 24, 2003 11:56 pm

that's upsetting.  >:( Since these items are scarce to say the least, it may not be TOO hard to track.  Especially if the thief tries to sell some PSA graded cards ;)
I can't believe I ate the whole thing

Crazyx

Post by Crazyx » Thu Dec 25, 2003 4:41 pm

i guess the thief wont be that stupid. He will probaly sell the items over a long time, starting with the lesser "hot" items. And he cant really sell any "hot" cards, especially the PSA graded stuff on ebay.

silver.paladin
Librarities Legend

Post by silver.paladin » Thu Dec 25, 2003 7:49 pm

i guess the thief wont be that stupid. He will probaly sell the items over a long time, starting with the lesser "hot" items. And he cant really sell any "hot" cards, especially the PSA graded stuff on ebay.
Maybe cannot sell the PSA graded stuff 'as is' on Ebay, but not too hard to open up the cases and sell them as 'mint' on Ebay.  Will still get a lot of $$$ for each card.
Oct 30, away until further notice

fvzappa
Legendary Alpha Playtest Decks Owner

Post by fvzappa » Sat Dec 27, 2003 9:19 am

It really depends on how smart the thieves are. If the cards that were stolen are easily aquired, you can trade off Scourge packs or Mirrodin rares all day. No one would ever know, really.

But if it is packs of Beta, Summer, whatever, it is too unique. I even can identify cards that were mine like that. I had a dealer brag to me about a Summer card he got that was "Mint". I asked if the guy he got it from matched a certian description, it was my neighbor. The card wasn't mint, either. I shot him down so bad I would have felt horrible if the guy wasn't such a jerk. Point is, I easily can track all the old/weird stuff, esp. stuff that was once mine.

Anyhow, I'd be interested in knowing EXACTLY what was stolen. I buy big collections, & things like that would help to know.

blackfire100

Post by blackfire100 » Sat Dec 27, 2003 7:59 pm

all that was said is that they were all rare type 1 cards...
Image The Great One

Tenacious_Dyl
Librarities Legend

Post by Tenacious_Dyl » Sat Dec 27, 2003 8:10 pm

What say we get a few members together... join forces... and ask around, investigate... see if we can come up w/ anything. If we do, everyone that *contributed to finding the thief(thieves)* will get a share of the $10,000 ?

Crazyx

Post by Crazyx » Sat Dec 27, 2003 10:23 pm

The Magic Rarties Detective Bureau, for all you homecides, murder, theft involving magic  ;D

(payment can be done with magic rarities and/or mint beta power cards  :P)

Tenacious_Dyl
Librarities Legend

Post by Tenacious_Dyl » Sat Dec 27, 2003 11:24 pm

w00t :-)

fvzappa

Post by fvzappa » Sun Dec 28, 2003 11:54 am

Elementary my dear watson. :P

dragsamou
Administrator

Post by dragsamou » Sun Dec 28, 2003 12:08 pm

Hi Members.
In case you need P.I.From Europe ;)
Let us know  :)
Want/Have Lists.
viewtopic.php?f=8&t=8903
viewtopic.php?f=7&t=1515
I Love you Dad.R.I.P.

blackfire100

Post by blackfire100 » Sun Dec 28, 2003 4:38 pm

we can try, but I don't think asking around is going to help much...
Image The Great One

Tenacious_Dyl
Librarities Legend

Post by Tenacious_Dyl » Mon Dec 29, 2003 7:01 am

Some people believe this an impossible task, others quite easy. Let us realise that it is in the thief's choice as to what it is.....

We know where these were stolen from. Location is a good thing to know.

We can assume (but not 100%) that it was more than one person. To break fully into their warehouse, and have that much money worth of cards stolen... I believe their must be at least 2 people involved. Perhaps one to get in, one to watch outside... possibly more too.

We also know what was stolen (large amount of very high end type one rares).

We also have a general idea of how many cards are out there... so if the theif(s) are not extremely careful.... mtg players will detect larger amounts of t1 power out there...

How many memebers of these forums live in the state that the theft took place in. Remember how 'small' the 'elite mtg' communities are in each state...

However many forums members from that state, get together, look around at local stores, talk to local players. I'm sure at least some rumors and sketchy info at the least would be easy to get.

Good lucks :-)

Dragsamou... we need European help too... someone... erh... stole my... erh.. Redbull ... I need you to send me some Alexis ;-)

fvzappa

Post by fvzappa » Mon Dec 29, 2003 8:41 am

Yea, I definitly will keep my eyes open. In my hometown, I would probably be the only person within hours that could have 10 Black Lotuses & no one would raise an eyebrow (no, don't phone me in, I didn't do it!). I am the one that people come to when they have too much stuff they want to sell. StarCity's headquarters is about 6 hours away, which really isn't too far.

I personally spoke to two people at StarCity at the PTQ in Columbus Ohio recently, they singled me out (once again, not to accuse, but inform), to make sure I was aware of the situation. They apparently had no real leads, or wouldn't admit to it.

I guess the robber (s) may have to be very careful of what they do, and they may be waiting until Origins or GenCon to sell, or they are players/ collectors who will gradually leak out a few hundred dollars of cards a month.

Even without the reward, it'd still be great to help catch them. I doubt their insurance will cover 100% of what they lost, so I wish them all the luck.

Now, is there any more public info than what is just the bit on the mtgnews article & link?