Issues between Wizards and Ed Beard Jr.

Moderators: cataclysm80, hammr7, l0qii, Apocalypse2K, berkumps, dragsamou, mystical_tutor, pp

robertweinzetl

Issues between Wizards and Ed Beard Jr.

Post by robertweinzetl » Sun Apr 03, 2005 2:16 pm

It seems a few weeks back Ed was informed that he would not be included in a future set and that he was being rotated on the "B" list of artists.

Persoanly I love his work and think it would be a good idea to put the word out that wizards art director (Jerremy Cranford) is removing artist that are well liked and will be missed if they are left out of any set.

Heres a link to a site that had the e-mail from ed posted on it so you can read whats going on in his own words.

http://www.verwijlen.nl/mainframe.php

There is lots of talk on there about the issue that you folks may find interesting.

Robert.

P.S. I sent a copy of this message to Ed Beard Jr's e-mail address to so that he may comment if he wishes.

AXIOS
Legendary Fungusaur Collector

Re: Issues between Wizards and Ed Beard Jr.

Post by AXIOS » Sun Apr 03, 2005 8:06 pm

are you dutch robert?
Fungusaur legend
find me on facebook: nico jongsma
into all kind of fungusaurs and bog wraiths, especially foreign, misprinted

robertweinzetl

Post by robertweinzetl » Sun Apr 03, 2005 10:40 pm

Nope but the owner of that site is.
are you dutch robert?

Mike_Bartley

Post by Mike_Bartley » Tue Apr 05, 2005 10:07 pm

I think what is happening to Ed Beard is really crappy for the fans.

Last year at Gen Con, I purchased some really "killer" artist proof original drawings that I commissioned Ed Beard to do.  One thing for sure, when you buy an Ed Beard artist proof with a drawing you are not buying a "sketch".  This artist puts more detail on the back of an artist proof card drawing than I see in most fully painted finished pieces.

About 6 months ago I sold one of the artist proof drawings on the back of a Goblin Pyromancer on eBay for $185.00.  I paid Ed Beard $80.00 which was his retail price for buying just one artist proof with a drawing.  So you know what I did, I took the profit and then commissioned him to do another piece at no cost to me.

Basically you can't compare Ed Beard's artist proof drawings with any other artist with the exception of possibly two who which I have seen examples of on this Netherland's website.  But according to the owner, he paid a lot more than $80.00.

As  a collector I think of Ed's highly detailed, fully rendered art on the back of these APs as equivalent to a Faberge Egg.  Judge for yourself and check out these links.

http://www.enchantedrealmstudio.com/mag ... ktchLG.jpg

http://www.verwijlen.nl/

at the "verwijlen" site, click on the Angel Gallery and the Dragon Gallery and click on B for Ed Beard to judge for yourself in the difference in overall quality.

I think if you are looking for top-shelf and something worthy of framing, then go to Ed Beard.  

If you are looking for a real quick 5 minute sketch for $10.00 or so you can find that at any show.

-Mike

squt
Legendary Misprint Error Collector

Post by squt » Wed Apr 06, 2005 7:57 pm

Maybe I'm not looking in the right place, but I couldn't find the letter about the differences between Ed and WOTC...

Squt

Mike_Bartley

Post by Mike_Bartley » Thu Apr 07, 2005 2:34 am

Hello "Squt"

I don't think Robert will mind if I reply to this post.  When all this started happening between Ed Beard and Wizards, I heard a rumor about it so I contacted Mr. Beard.  He sent me and other fans and friends a long e-mail detailing what happened.  I then posted this e-mail to the Dutch site that Robert referenced earlier but I did not post the whole e-mail.  Through more than one post here I have now posted Ed Beard's e-mail to me in it's entirety.  I apologize for the lengthiness of this post but I found out before, cutting and pasting can sometimes take things out of context and not read correctly.  His e-mail to me begins in the next post.

Thanks,
Mike B.

Mike_Bartley

Post by Mike_Bartley » Thu Apr 07, 2005 2:36 am

...begin Ed Beard's e-mail... from Mike B.

"Hi Mike,

Well once again the current team at Wizards of the Coast, specifically R&D and art director Jeremy Cranford have decided that My style of artwork pales in comparison to their favorites staples (you know the usual images you see on the box and ads).
Jeremy Cranford, who has been the Art Director for the past three years, has slowly and steadily reduced both the amount of art I get assigned in each set and certainly the kinds of cards that my art appears on to the rather limited playability group.

I was told upfront when Jeremy first took over that my style of art was, as both he and R&D put it, " Too classic old style fantasy" and that the group at R&D actually hated my rendition of 7th Edition 'Birds of Paradise' Cranford revieled to me that somone in R&D took my art of BOP, enlarged it and had the phrase  to the effect " This is what art of Magic should not be"I said in response to this " Gee if you hate it so much that they should blow the art up to a poster size and used it as a dart board.  I'm not kidding, this is how the conversation went and these are statements made by Jeremy Cranford to me directly.

I remember that feeling of " Oh my god he just confirmed what I said" . If Jeremy Cranford atually liked the art on my BOP and wanted to clarify anything that was the time to do it. But no, he just went on about how I had been demoted to the "B" list artists therefore would be getting fewer cards. He also felt he needed to tell me that" we want to keep the High profile cards with the stable of "A" list artists and those of R&D's favorites. He told me something to the effect that the Dragons in Magic should look like "MTG" Dragons not like TSR dragons etc. He told me "I would need to think more out of the box" think of our new magic as "Matrix meets Magic".

Their is a couple of past and possibly present R&D folks who really just don't like my work.

Please remember Jeremy Cranford and I had these conversations nearly Three years ago. Right after that and up to two weeks ago I continued to get my rations of 2-3 cards per block and 2 cards per expansion.. but for a time I was commissioned to do the two token cards "Rukh" and "beast for Mirrodin". of course I was carefully kept off the high profile tourney cards. Jeremy Cranford had not been derogatory or insulting to me during that time until a few weeks ago. I also believe what Mr. Cranford said when he told me many times that " the decisions of what artists get are not necessarily mine to decide, it's a parliamentary environment" It was pretty obvious to me that he was telling me the truth at that time. Does this change the fact that was about the worst experience I ever had with and AD, nope. I did ask Jeremy Cranford to tell me what was R&D's problem with me . Well he didn't hold any punches.

Even though the fans say otherwise R&D doesn't agree ( InQUEST past fan favorite The legitimate poll and focus group, the hard copy petitions that I just received by 200 players from a tournament sponsored by "Your Move games RI division" just as one example and the countless support from websites and e-mails going to artdrop@wizards.com I have been copied on and evidently the boards at Wizards.) When I get back from FL I will try get time to post but for now take whatever you want from this longass e-mail and do what you want with it.

For 8 years I was a fan favorite and well liked by all of the prior Art directors and thus given a reasonable share of good playing cards and in every set. Then when this current team took over I was told up front by Jeremy that my style was "too classic fantasy" " THAT I DON"T THINK OUT OF THE BOX ENOUGH" and several other remarks thus the justification for why I was being scaled back.

So, I suppose it should come as no surprise that they have now completely removed me from the set currently known as "ALT" or the first expansion from the block out later this year.

Up to this point, and for the past 11 years or since "Legends", I have faithfully delivered to Magic my typical work with the highest standards. Many of you are promoters of large tournaments and have had me a guest artist for many years. My guess is that you would not do this if you did not feel my art makes both the product of Magic and the fans, that come to have me sign their cards, very pleased.

Many of you have been collectors of my art over the years and although it's impossible to have every card out of over 150 that I have done be great, I think in general the folks that send me cards to sign every week and you who buy the art would beg to differ with the current opinion of the magic Art director and Art team.

(cont. in next post - Mike)

Mike_Bartley

Post by Mike_Bartley » Thu Apr 07, 2005 2:37 am

(...cont. Ed Beard's e-mail to me - Mike B.)

I had just completed a killer painting for the upcoming block that depicted a classic fantasy bird and rider - bright colors were required gold, maroon and blues, by no means a dark brooding assignment. (Confidentiality limits what I can tell you about the art.) But I can show you the actual snippet or comments from Art director and R&D team. First let me say the art on this new piece was reminiscent of my card "Crusading Knight from Invasions" only a far more complex and larger painting with every wing and city building detailed to the max.

It was handed in about a month ago and I did get paid for it. I never heard anything back from the AD, which struck me odd with all the work I put into the art. I called the other day to ask when I could anticipate the next assignment schedule (as I have always done for the past 11 years) and I was met with a condescending statement that I was not being assigned in the set and as quoted by Jeremy Cranford, when I asked why, he said," There's a first time for everything" . Once Again a clear message that  my work was not in line with the current style and " edgy out of the box" look, as the AD has called the new Magic.

I have always been a professional when speaking and working with many Art directors over the years at WOTC and as an AD myself for many games, come and gone and still with us, I would never insult nor compare an artist who has been a faithful as long a history with the game and liked by the Magic fans as I was in the following e-mail and on the phone this week.
This is what I received for why I am not in the upcoming sets and why Mr. Cranford feels I am not "up with what he deems "Great artists of magic"

Please note this was the response to my asking if I was going to be included in the next  assigned set as I had some promoters of Tournaments inquiring to whether I could attend and obviously wanted to make sure I had some cards in that Pre-release as I have always had at least one or two for the past 11 years.

AD Jeremy Cranford:

"To be honest I can barley keep track of my own personal schedules. So I'm not going to even start to try and keep track of what the tournament organizers are doing with artist."

"As for your paintings I thought they were good. If they weren't I would reject them."

"Did I think they were "great" no. I guess that's subjective but since am the A.D. it counts for something. "

"For your reference. Attached are some recent jpegs of paintings that came in that I did think were great for Magic."

-end Jeremy's e-mail-

(I can't show you the images but you can safely assume they were dark brooding, loose brushy impressionistic images, like what you tend to get from some artists that you all have been seeing on more and more cards since this team took over in 02.  The fact that some look unfinished and are not tightly detailed is a coveted style with these guys. I have been told that it is the style and rage with Magic fans these days?

The art I was assigned was totally opposite in all manner of view to the images the Magic AD e-mailed me and felt he needed to drive his point home with me for. (Something that in it's self is unprofessional and as an AD myself couldn't imagine doing unless the artist asked to see.)

You have all seen my style on many Magic cards, my work is always tight, neat and highly detailed. I illustrate and color the way the client has commissioned it to be, usually not dark brooding loose brush strokes or unfinished or rough in appearance that's not the style you all have known me for.

So once again the team at Wizards feels you the fans, collectors or Promoters, prefer a very different sort of style and do not feel my style is worthy of being in the upcoming set, let alone being reduced to one or two cards. It seems that I have gone from the "A" list, that I had been on years before, to the bottom of the alternating "B" list that rotates out many new talent. If all the artists on Magic were being treated the same way and rotated out then certainly that would be fair and understandable but this is what it is.

After 11 years of dedicated faithful service to the game Magic and you the fans, promoters and my friends, I would like to ask that you take just a few moments of your time and shoot out an e-mail, maybe a post on a forum and generally supporting my work in Magic and asking  AD Jeremy Cranford or anyone at the R&D dept, "That you would like to see more of Ed Beard's art on the cards and that the fans and players enjoy his work" because evidently the 1500 regular mail in customers or so of you that I have met or signed cards through the mail over the years and up to now must be confused or simply not know what is "really Great art" if you like Ed Beard's work?  That is at least according to Jeremy Cranford.

Anything you can do to let the team at WOTC that you the players and buying public disagree with reducing and now dropping Ed Beard from upcoming sets of  Magic would be greatly appreciated. Heck it seemed to work for Rebecca Guay... ha ha ha

If nothing less folks, and regardless of whether it changes anything, it would mean a lot to me after all these years of dedication to my craft, signing your cards and you the fans, to have your support.

It  will be deeply appreciated

Sincerely,

Ed Beard Jr."

Celebrindor

Post by Celebrindor » Thu Apr 07, 2005 3:37 am

Thats such a bunch of crap.  I miss the detailed cards of past sets - ever since Mirrodin or so, maybe even a bit earlier, the art has been in decline.  There have been very few cards in the last few sets that I truly like the art on, all of which unsurprisingly have been drawn by the artists that have been doing MTG work for a long time.  The current concept seems to be things centered in uninspired or solid-color backgrounds - upon what survey are they basing the opinion that we like this stuff??

Mr.C
Librarities Legend

Post by Mr.C » Thu Apr 07, 2005 7:07 am

Thats such a bunch of crap.  I miss the detailed cards of past sets - ever since Mirrodin or so, maybe even a bit earlier, the art has been in decline.  There have been very few cards in the last few sets that I truly like the art on, all of which unsurprisingly have been drawn by the artists that have been doing MTG work for a long time.  The current concept seems to be things centered in uninspired or solid-color backgrounds - upon what survey are they basing the opinion that we like this stuff??

I concur.

Based of what? Little kids, and the Yu-Gi-Oh-ish style of drawing.

No offense, but this can kill a game in the long run. Remeber when we collected cards because of the art? No new and inspiring art recently :( (although Puddnhead and Martina Pilcerova are good...)

Who want's to start plastering this e-mail all over the MTG internet world? If noone else wants to, i'll post it on MOTL.
I collect foils and FBB Base Sets. PM me.

Celebrindor

Post by Celebrindor » Thu Apr 07, 2005 7:25 am

Who want's to start plastering this e-mail all over the MTG internet world? If noone else wants to, i'll post it on MOTL.
My thoughts exactly.  What exactly can we do?

TerraFrost
Legendary Creature For Hire

Post by TerraFrost » Thu Apr 07, 2005 7:26 am

I guess there's mtgnews.com, too...
BLACK LOTUS DONATIONS NEEDED!

CURRENT COUNT: 0

Celebrindor

Post by Celebrindor » Thu Apr 07, 2005 7:31 am

I guess there's mtgnews.com, too...
How about the Wizard's boards?  Ever since I got flamed for my decklist I haven't frequented it, but that seems like the one that would get the most notice.

Lasbrook

Post by Lasbrook » Thu Apr 07, 2005 7:46 am

That is some high grade bullshit right there. They do this yet we keep the Hildebrants, Puddinhed(sorry Mr.C but I have to disagree with you) and Wayne England.

I can see the point Cranford might have with saying Beard's art looks too classical fantasy, because some of it does. But can you look at cards like Baku Altar or his set of plains and say they don't fit in with the flavor of Kamigawa block?

Does anyone happen to know the email address of the AD?
Or the actual address? I say we get Beard to sign every Fascist Art Director we can find and send them to him.

aleksandr
Librarities Legend

Post by aleksandr » Thu Apr 07, 2005 8:35 am

Well, I have to say that this really sucks for Ed, us as players, and the game in general.

I met Ed once at a tournament and I have to say he is one of the best.  He took the time to chat with us early folks, joked around, gave us tidbits of info, etc.  He was very cool to deal with.  

I don't understand the complaints that his artwork is too classic fantasy for Magic.  Each set should have a wide variety of art work, first of all in order to satisfy everyone's tastes.  Including 145 pieces of the same artwork is only going to make the people who like that style happy.  Including 5-10 pieces of various styles will at least make a large group of people happy.

I don't know where R&D is planning on going with this game, but I hope it is not in the direction of more Kamigawa stuff.  Kamigawa block was fun, but very, very un-magic-like in my mind.  After all, as I've been saying for quite a while, if I wanted to play a Japanese-themed game, I would play Legend of the Five Rings.

Ravnica looks to be an improvement over Kamigawa, but I would have thought that the highly detailed style of art they have previewed so far would fit right in with Ed's style.

Anyhow, I am rambling now.  Does anyone know if artdrop@wizards.com  is the correct address to complain to the Art Department about this development?

Thanks
Aleks