WOTC sues Rancored_Elf

Moderators: cataclysm80, hammr7, l0qii, Apocalypse2K, berkumps, dragsamou, mystical_tutor, pp

Dilligaf
Legendary Misplaced Limey Judge

Re: wotc suing

Post by Dilligaf » Mon Jan 23, 2006 5:39 am

Solidarity wrote:
This suit isnt about the spoilers.

R_E posted scans of some Coldsnap playtest cards a while back, they were quickly removed, but the damage was already done at that point.
I'm pretty sure Wizards really can't hit R_E with the charges because they need to prove through "clear and convincing evidence" that R_E knew the playtest cards were obtained illegally, which is pretty hard to prove. What they really want to do is find the people who leaked the cards out. Anyone can be an R_E with the right sources, so the question is not about stopping the middleman, but the source.
While i don't have proof, i can say with a pretty damn good hunch that people with access to playtest cards are under legally binding NDA papers.. so sharing the information would consitute breach of contract and potentially corporate espianage, depending on who it was shared with.

Unless R_E was a playtestor, the images were supplied and recieved illegally.. by recieving them and then POSTING them online, R_E was party to several rather convincing, yet irritating, laws regarding corporate property.
Never argue with an Idiot, they will drag you down to their level then beat you with experience.
** Trying to collect one of each (at least) Brom Artwork.. if you have extra stuff, PM me.. AP's too!

Hazezon

Post by Hazezon » Mon Jan 23, 2006 5:26 pm

I was curious, would WotC be able to go after R_E directly with him being Canadian. I'm sure that there are some limitations to American Intellectual Property Law or whatever else they are basing they're case on. If it was a criminal case they could ask for extradition but being as this is a civil case i'm really not sure what they could do to him.

squt
Legendary Misprint Error Collector

Post by squt » Mon Jan 23, 2006 5:55 pm

This is a little surprising to me - I always thought RE WAS a WOTC employee. I just thought it was their marketing machine that leaked out a few cards in the month before a new set. It was always through strange means- an Italian Foil sheet here, a playtest card there...you never saw all the commons until right before a pre (when the judges FAQ came out).

Squt

Raven_Fire

Post by Raven_Fire » Mon Jan 23, 2006 7:01 pm

Dilligaf wrote:This suit isnt about the spoilers.

R_E posted scans of some Coldsnap playtest cards a while back, they were quickly removed, but the damage was already done at that point.
I thought it was playtest cards from "Snap" (of the Snap, Crackle, Pop Block), not Coldsnap. Anyway, the important point is that this is not primarily about the spoilers. Heck, WotC writers have suggested reading outside spoilers before going to a Pre-Release event. This is about developmental ideas being posted a year early, not about finished concepts that have already reached the printers.

normalbrains
Librarities Member

new events

Post by normalbrains » Tue Jan 24, 2006 3:01 am

phyconaut
Librarities Member

Post by phyconaut » Tue Jan 24, 2006 4:20 am

yes i think we will be seeing other sites get the same letter and it is proboly not WotC thats hate teh realings so much but it is thier parent company hasbro that is telling them to stop the leaks and showing of info.
Current projects
Icy Manipulator Global set
The Mountain Project (Oficial name comming soon)
links for lists comming soon.

Ralph Herold
Legendary Magic Library Administrator

Post by Ralph Herold » Sat Feb 18, 2006 5:53 pm