Opinions on MOTL

Moderators: cataclysm80, hammr7, l0qii, Apocalypse2K, berkumps, dragsamou, mystical_tutor, pp

MOT
Librarities Legend

Re: Opinions on MOTL

Post by MOT » Mon Feb 16, 2004 9:40 am

I would have to say my MOTL experience has been positive for the most part.  You will always have the usual troublemakers with a population as large as MOTL.  You just have to know your card values and take sensible precautions when arranging deals to avoid ripoffs.  No different than any other trading venue.

inca911
Librarities Legend

Post by inca911 » Mon Feb 16, 2004 6:55 pm

MOTL is worth checking out if you like to trade.  Even the banned member Bas who calls it a POS still has multiple screen names to try to continue to use the site, so it must have some significant merits!  ;)

Coolio was indeed a moderator of the site, but his three very long posts are grounded in interpersonal issues between him and another staff member.  99% of the stuff he's talking about is 100% irrelevent to the membership.  The one good point he makes is that we do sometimes ignore members who repeat the same requests.  With thousands of active members, I wish I could personally respond to everyone who emails me but I cannot as this is not my full-time job.  If I could change one thing, it'd be that.

If you don't protect your cards, yes they can be stolen.  However, this is true anywhere and not just on MOTL.  Just trade carefully and you'll find MOTL to be a great place.  MOTL will only be as good as it's general membership and we're always glad to get new members who contribute in a positive manner.

Bas

Post by Bas » Mon Feb 16, 2004 11:12 pm

Even the banned member Bas who calls it a POS still has multiple screen names to try to continue to use the site, so it must have some significant merits!  ;)
I must admit, trading and selling on the site is the best!. I get top-buck for my cards, thats the only reason I am still there.
Don't PM me, email me at bas DOT kooijman AT hccnet DOT nl

Cheers!

coolio
Librarities Legend

Post by coolio » Tue Feb 17, 2004 12:39 am

Coolio was indeed a moderator of the site, but his three very long posts are grounded in interpersonal issues between him and another staff member.  99% of the stuff he's talking about is 100% irrelevent to the membership.  The one good point he makes is that we do sometimes ignore members who repeat the same requests.  With thousands of active members, I wish I could personally respond to everyone who emails me but I cannot as this is not my full-time job.  If I could change one thing, it'd be that.

If you don't protect your cards, yes they can be stolen.  However, this is true anywhere and not just on MOTL.  Just trade carefully and you'll find MOTL to be a great place.  MOTL will only be as good as it's general membership and we're always glad to get new members who contribute in a positive manner.
yes, I've displayed some of interpersonal issues with another certain moderator, but that is only because I see that that certain mod has come to abuse his position to harass and screw with the general membership at will.
the rest of the info is 100% revelant to the general membership as they are entitled to know exactly what is going on and what are some of the situations thats been happening on the site as of late, it might not be pretty, but I think they should know, because they are affected by the problems at any level within the administration. (if you throw a rock in the pond, it's not gonna ripple?)

1. There HAVE been random bannings as of late.. you yourself just corrected one such case up on the 2nd or 3rd page in this post.
2. The gray areas have always been there in the rules as much as I argued and tried to work with past mods to make things clearer, nothing ever came of them, nor have there been any real attempt to work it out to this day since then.
3. As for the general pissed off mod to ban @ will, that can be ANY mod, it's all on a whim, and that sucking up, being all 'buddy buddy' with the mod goes for just about any mod as well, the game of favorites will forever be there and forever be played.
4. I think the members should know with regards to the procedure for reinstatement from a wrongful banning, and I merely questioned the change of process that occurred since my resignation.
5. Changes are coming.   Boy I've heard this since I first logged onto MOTL 4 or so months after it was first put up.  As I said, the last 'change' in rules wasnt the kind I had in mind.
6. The staff IS in pieces, some larger, some smaller, but it wasnt like this years ago, back when wayne, squizz, serraangel, iakae, shadowizar, raistlin, and perhaps even myself (and I'm certain I left off more people) were doing things day to day.  As I said, the site runs itself quite well without the admin needed to be present all the time.  I left you out of any possible blame (personally because I don't believe there is any) and you tell the others that what I've said is irrevelant to the membership?  How so?  I think this in every way affects the general membership on an individual basis.  It can happen to ANY member, especially if they have it in their mind after your reply that "Oh, that wont happen to me" attitude.
7. Yes I did highlight a personal problem, but it exemplifies the fact that the staff is NOT a cohesive team working for the same goal, it's like everyone has their own little hidden agenda or something.

I've given you my personal assessment of the situation, I've aired enough of my grievances, but have you stepped back to wonder why me and iakae have been this way?  We still care, partially because we staffed it at the high point of growth in membership and we did a damn good job keeping stuff straight, to see it all fall to pieces now makes it seem as if we put in a lot of effort for nothing.

One last thing, the comment with regards to MOTL only being as good as the general membership...
You left out the staff, MOTL is only as good as the general membership and the STAFF makes it out to be.  Instead of always looking to get new members to contribute in a positive manner, how's about listening to what some of the older members have to say, and getting moderators that contribute in a positive manner.  Not those who keep bragging about their deeds thinking it offsets their harassing behavior to the newbies and the general membership and then threaten to ban them or harass them via email.

Respect gained from ruling through an Iron Fist (fear) is not respect at all, Respect is gained through leading with compassion.  I'm sure you can agree with that statement.
Some of the staff have grasped this, others have not.

©

The_Oath

Post by The_Oath » Sun Mar 20, 2005 9:15 am

So to go on a different tangent, whats everyone's MoTL sn on here so I can go and trade and not be paranoid about sending first.  (Brand new trader--5 pending trades including Tha Gunslinga involving an amazing crimped inertia bubble)

Lasbrook

Post by Lasbrook » Sun Mar 20, 2005 6:43 pm

Second Verse, Same as the first.

I'm Lasbrook there. I dont trade alot, and when i do it's in like 3 month spurts of activity. I'm currently starting up another burst of activity tho.

Mr.C
Librarities Legend

Post by Mr.C » Sun Mar 20, 2005 10:44 pm

Mr.C there, too... 28 good refs, about half from traders here in Brazil.
I collect foils and FBB Base Sets. PM me.

flatmatt
Legendary Wild Bear Tracker

Post by flatmatt » Mon Mar 21, 2005 2:51 am

This should probably have been started as a new thread, but I'm flatmatt on MOTL.  I've got 30 refs on there so far.

justybug
Librarities Hero

Post by justybug » Fri Apr 08, 2005 2:21 pm

i'm jbug23 on motl, i've been banned, reinstated, and had 1 trade go bad out of about 75. i've traded worldwide, made trades in value from 1-150 USD, and generally haven't had any issues, other than my interpretation over my banning, which got fixed eventually.
funny though, as now i am very rarely on there except in bursts.. same as here.
i just don't have time to play or collect as avidly any longer, and am going to be filtering off my collection there over the next few months, and hopefully ending up with more of the stuff found here...
i'd be happy to trade with you.
HUNTING UNGLUED/UNHINGED ARTIST PROOFS - PLEASE HELP!!
email me for details..send your trade offers!
Misprints, sketches, pictures!!
jbug23 on MOTL

johnstown713
Legendary Boy Of 713

Post by johnstown713 » Sat Apr 09, 2005 12:59 am

I feel I am a very active MOTL Member.  I have been since September of 04' I believ and so far I have 84 References.  I like big trades and I like them being at least $50 in value.  As on Motl and Ebay and every other online site I am registered to, my username is Johnstown713

psrex
Librarities Legend

Post by psrex » Sat Apr 09, 2005 1:13 am

I like seeing the Magic Rarities contingency show up in the "Trade and Value Questions" section of the forum.  It's nice to see many regulars help out with prices for odd-ball items that are well known here.

I go by psrex on MOTL as well.