Custom Resin Box

Moderators: cataclysm80, hammr7, l0qii, Apocalypse2K, berkumps, dragsamou, mystical_tutor, pp

mintcollector
Librarities Legend

Custom Resin Box

Post by mintcollector » Tue Apr 26, 2005 11:05 pm

Well as you all know the old resin boxes (long card boxes) with M:TG artwork on them are a thing of the past and out of print.  Well I avidly use them and my Mirage Maro box has served me well over the years, but it is coming an end to it's lifecycle.  I was in distress as there is no way I could store my cards, die, etc in a plain white box, and all other storage systems out there suck in my opinion.  Well what to do.  All of a sudden I had an epiphany, how about getting a custom box done?  Well having to get over many hurdles, I will soon be in possession of a new resin box, with what else, but my favorite M:TG artwork, Dakmor Sorceress.  I had the proof sent to me for review and thought to share:

I'll post finished product images once done.  A couple highlights on this project.  I had bought an artist proof off of eBay that Matthew Wilson had done from a dealer in Singapore.  The images on the sides of the boxes are that custom sketch from the back of the proof overlayed over a crop of some of the Dakmor background.

All I can say is this is a really exciting project.  I intend to try to get one more done of John Avon lands in panorama possibly, most likely one of the Arena sets.  Also before anyone else asks, the guy doing this for me as a favor does not want to be known or does he wish to do more of these, so don't ask.

ende73
Legendary Righteous Phoenix Mage

Re: Custom Resin Box

Post by ende73 » Tue Apr 26, 2005 11:14 pm

Also before anyone else asks, the guy doing this for me as a favor does not want to be known or does he wish to do more of these, so don't ask.

Obiviously with no offense, but the question arises automatically: then why are you telling us  ???  :P
Please note my change in e-mail (check profile)

Ralph Herold
Legendary Magic Library Administrator

Post by Ralph Herold » Tue Apr 26, 2005 11:37 pm

ende73: Because he believes man is capable of sharing the enjoyment of others without personal gain. Of course it is also possible that he might just want to brag ;D

mintcollector: Cool idea! Please keep us updated.

mintcollector
Librarities Legend

Post by mintcollector » Wed Apr 27, 2005 12:24 am

Obiviously with no offense, but the question arises automatically: then why are you telling us  ???  :P
Because I did want to be bombarded with the usually..."gimme" and "I want one" responses, as the guy doing this for me does not want to do these.  He is doing it for me as a favor.  I just wanted to share a M:TG custom job that many here would appreciate.  There has been some rumblings lately on the resin boxes and I thought to post my new project.  Although I will be proud of owning the box, I am not trying to being a braggart.  

I wanted to share the idea as well.  Although the guy doing this for me does not want to do these, I thought the idea might spark some creativity in the community to do it themselves.  I'll refer you back to the 3-D Dakmor Sorceress I had commisioned.  l0qii has done some wonderful 3-D projects, including his latest giving shaping and real 3 dimension to his work.  Although I can come up with the ideas, my artistic skills are lacking to come up with a final product, so I am often forced to scrap ideas or try to find those with the necessary skills to do the commission work for me.

Celebrindor

Post by Celebrindor » Wed Apr 27, 2005 12:40 am

Why do you call them 'resin' boxes?  When I hear that term, I think of the hard 'stone-like' clay boxes, not the cardboard ones (which, by the way, I have some of if you need them).

mintcollector
Librarities Legend

Post by mintcollector » Thu Apr 28, 2005 2:50 am

Why do you call them 'resin' boxes?  When I hear that term, I think of the hard 'stone-like' clay boxes, not the cardboard ones (which, by the way, I have some of if you need them).
Maybe you are too young for that term.  It is an old 70's term for long storage boxes.  These used to store marijuana and pipes/bongs.  Obviously nothing to do with M:TG, but I have heard these boxes referred to many times by that term.