general interest in new Magic sets

Moderators: cataclysm80, hammr7, l0qii, Apocalypse2K, berkumps, dragsamou, mystical_tutor, pp

Ralph Herold
Legendary Magic Library Administrator

Re: general interest in new Magic sets

Post by Ralph Herold » Thu May 20, 2004 3:06 am

I do not play in tournaments but enjoy playing privately. I spend quite some time figuring out the overall power level of cards, and I discuss my findings with friends. For me, the steady release of new cards is the most exciting part of Magic. New mechanics to test and discuss, new cards to collect, and new artwork to behold :D

As for Fifth Dawn, I am a little disappointed. The overall power level of the cards is rather weak. The Sunburst cards are not attractive enough to warrant playing with extra colors. Scry is good, but barely present in the set (only 7 cards). The card which really caught my eye is Eternal Witness, an uncommon. I think this card will see much play in older formats.

rick21n
Librarities Legend

Post by rick21n » Thu May 20, 2004 5:04 am

I do play a lot of Type 2 currently.  Though i don't expect this information from here.  Fifth Dawn stuff comes from mtgnews and others where we focus on rarities.  We don't do much "normal" magic talking here.  Not that this is good or bad.  Just how it is.  Therefore I just don't expect to come here for Fifth Dawn / Pre Release spoilers.  Though this could change if everybody wanted to.

- Rick

bigfatkitty
Legendary Overweight Cat Warrior

Post by bigfatkitty » Thu May 20, 2004 5:27 am

I play in every prerelease.  I am rabid to look at any new set good or bad.  Ralph don't discount 5th Dawn yet.  I sense a secret hidden power yet to be tapped.   ;D
Solitary Member of Dragsamou's 'Dirty Frenchie' Fan Club.
Worshiped by all Netherlandians.

Ralph Herold

Post by Ralph Herold » Thu May 20, 2004 5:37 am

bigfatkitty: I am sure the set will provide some tool cards for combo decks. I have already spotted a few cards which have a very narrow spectrum of usage but might shine in what they do. I might add that the set has a hard time, being a direct descendent of two very powerful sets (especially Mirrodin).

bigfatkitty
Legendary Overweight Cat Warrior

Post by bigfatkitty » Thu May 20, 2004 5:41 am

Ralph - I'll be happy to have combos as long as they don't turn into some of the solitaire decks created during the Urza Block.  It's things like that which made me want to quit competitive Magic, but I feel they've fixed things to a certain extent now.  Four card infinite combos make the casual playing more interesting.
Solitary Member of Dragsamou's 'Dirty Frenchie' Fan Club.
Worshiped by all Netherlandians.

Ralph Herold

Post by Ralph Herold » Thu May 20, 2004 5:50 am

bigfatkitty: LOL ;D I understand what you mean, but I do not think this is going to happen in the current Type II environment (including Fifth Dawn).

victorcamp
Librarities Legend

Post by victorcamp » Thu May 20, 2004 9:00 am

I play every week with a small group of friends, and am definitely the most avid collector of the bunch. Though I get a box of boosters for each new set, they usually don't find their way into decks for quite some time.

I still have a ways to go before completing my goal of all English sets plus all promos: 9 left of Unlimited, 145 of Beta, and 225 of Alpha. (My finances of late have severely crimped my style.) I incorporate the new spoiler and all the pictures into my database the day it's available.

I especially enjoy adding the keywords for searching so I can easily find interesting connections among all the MTG sets. Our group plays with any card of any set, so it's a real roll-of-the-dice when we each chose a deck without knowing what the others will be playing.

Cyberellium

Post by Cyberellium » Thu May 20, 2004 9:41 am

I only play casually.

As for collecting I want every English card from Starter 1999 and back.
As far as I'm concerned Mercadian Masques and onwards and definately the new style disgust me and I'll find no value in them.
Magic: The Gathering: 1993 - 1999.

rg

Post by rg » Thu May 20, 2004 12:11 pm

While i dislike the new carddesign and the way they changed  traditional magic with Mirrodin Block i play a lot of limited (mostly with my wife and some friends).

And we have a small group (18 to 30 players) who meet once a month for a tourney lasting a year. Every month we play a different (fun-) format (flexibility, handicap, highlander ...) or vintage and type 1.x.

I usually buy 6 to 12 boxes of a new set but try to buy them in different languages for fun and collecting sets in different languages.

And i can't wait until Mirrodin is over, i hade this block, it's to simple and stupid ...