how did you get introduced to mtg?

Moderators: cataclysm80, hammr7, l0qii, Apocalypse2K, berkumps, dragsamou, mystical_tutor, pp

TerraFrost
Legendary Creature For Hire

how did you get introduced to mtg?

Post by TerraFrost » Wed Aug 04, 2004 1:17 am

so...  how were you first introduced to mtg?

i was first introduced to it at a summer camp i worked at in '95.  the other counselors would play it in their free time.  sadly, though, i didn't start playing / collecting, myself, until '97, when a close friend started playing it, themselves.
BLACK LOTUS DONATIONS NEEDED!

CURRENT COUNT: 0

mintcollector
Librarities Legend

Re: how did you get introduced to mtg?

Post by mintcollector » Wed Aug 04, 2004 2:01 am

Great question to ask.  I had been an avid gamer since 1979...kind of dropping off a bit while I was in the service from early 88 to late 93, doing a few RPGs here and there, Axis and Allies, etc.  While going back to school I was driving down the street and happened upon an interesting shop called Legends and Lohr.  I decided to stop in and inside it was your typical small game store.  In back were some guys playing what I soon found out to be M:TG.  I had played my brother while on leave (don't recall when exactly..but I do remember playing a Beta deck of his).  I decided to get into collecting the cards at first getting in about Oct/Nov 1995 myself collecting at first.  I clearly remember my first card purchase, buying 10 packs each of 4Ed, Homelands, Chronicles, and Ice Age.  I also bought my first Scrye magazine to use as a checklist.  I went back the next day and bought some more packs, but more than that I started to also shop for singles in mint condition.  I had collected for almost a full year, not even building my first deck until right before Mirage came out under pressure from M:TG friends I had made who played avidly.  I came to hang out always trading for set completion, so I usually got "raped" on trades until I started to better learn card value and not rely on Scrye as much.  Well as time marched on I worked on my sets, never being more than a casual player, but ALWAYS a collector.

jamesbond
Legendary Secret British Agent

Post by jamesbond » Wed Aug 04, 2004 2:13 am

Some of my roleplaying gamers friends introduce beta cards in my school  ;D , rapidly, i beging to play, and to collect cards, unfortunatly, i was young (9 years old) and cards was expensive for me  :'( , so i was concentrate on big creatures like leviathan..... :P

bigfatkitty
Legendary Overweight Cat Warrior

Post by bigfatkitty » Wed Aug 04, 2004 2:15 am

I agree...good question.

I started in the summer of 1994.  My next door neighbor knew I enjoyed any and all card games so he told me about it.  

The next weekend he had a party and invited my wife and I over to play in a huge group game of about 20 people.  Noone knew the real rules and we all played off a giant deck in the center of the table.  It was new and fresh and there was plenty of beer.  I had a great time except for the part when a really drunk guy threw up all over himself.

I was instantly hooked and went to all the stores in my town to find cards.  I still remember thinking Ironroot Treefolk was the coolest card ever.  (Read the flavor text and you'll know why.)  

I've since learned the proper rules, but still like it best with a cold brew in my hand.   ;D
Solitary Member of Dragsamou's 'Dirty Frenchie' Fan Club.
Worshiped by all Netherlandians.

Celebrindor

Post by Celebrindor » Wed Aug 04, 2004 3:19 am

My cousin was into D&D when magic came out, and started playing with Alpha.  He taught me how to play, but I didn't buy any cards of my own until Revised.  Both of us were 9 at the time, and we had no money for cards (which is why Alpha and Beta complete sets are still at 0)  :(

dry cereal
Legendary Part of a Complete Breakfast

Post by dry cereal » Wed Aug 04, 2004 4:03 am

I didn't think it was that interesting, but my sister said it was cool, and she's my idol, so I started back with dark.  She promptly quit but I was hooked.
I can't believe I ate the whole thing

Mr.C
Librarities Legend

Post by Mr.C » Wed Aug 04, 2004 5:49 am

Well, i started in 1996, although i didn´t buy cards until, oh, 2001 or so... i was 10 years old back then, and had no money to spend on trading cards...
I collect foils and FBB Base Sets. PM me.

flatmatt
Legendary Wild Bear Tracker

Post by flatmatt » Wed Aug 04, 2004 6:50 am

Well, I started because quite a few other people in my 4th/5th grade class were playing.  This was around the time of 5th Edition, if I remember correctly.

Vilan

Post by Vilan » Wed Aug 04, 2004 7:03 am

My brother started playing Magic soon after it came out. I saw him playing a few times but never bothered checking it out, except a couple times when he dragged me into a game... I remember one deck had Force of Nature and Wooden Sphere, and another time was a multiplayer game where he was strongly suggesting I should Terror that Serra Angel someone had out but I didn't since it didn't seem so impressive to me. :P I remember getting him Ice Age packs for Christmas one time since that was the latest set... "Cool, Flow of Maggots!" ;D A little while later, I picked up the bug, got the Rivals box set for myself for Christmas '97, and been playing ever since.

themike314
Librarities Legend

Post by themike314 » Wed Aug 04, 2004 7:30 am

I started playing around the tail end of Revised.  I bought a booster box worth of packs from a mail order company that dealt mostly in comics.  I played a lot of games in high school during lunch, at friends' houses and at a local shop (where, as an ignorant newbie, i was taken in many one-sided trades).

(The Dark was not easily accessable at that time, but Fallen Empires could be had for less than a dollar a pack.  Needless to say, I had plenty of Thallids for quite a while.   :) )

I don't remember what it was that drew me to the game, but it was something new.  I've been playing ever since (although I wasn't able to buy much of Tempest block or Onslaught block).

fvzappa
Legendary Alpha Playtest Decks Owner

Post by fvzappa » Wed Aug 04, 2004 7:49 am

My girlfriend at the time played. She got me hooked, & I got good at it quickly (beating my friends at it anyways). She & I have parted ways many years ago, but I still see her brother at my local shop.

This was back in 95? 94? when I was first introduced. The first pack I remember purchasing was 4th edition. I played a lot more back then, but over the years the collector in me has shined through... I have a few T1 decks, but concentrate more on the collecting. And owning nearly everything has led me to the world of rarities, where you never have "everything".

silver.paladin
Librarities Legend

Post by silver.paladin » Wed Aug 04, 2004 8:00 am

Oh God am I starting to feel old, reading all these people starting the game while in grade or junior school   ;D

As per giediprime41 below me, Class of '88.
Oct 30, away until further notice

TerraFrost
Legendary Creature For Hire

Post by TerraFrost » Wed Aug 04, 2004 8:56 am

to add to your pain, hehe, i was a sophomore in high school in '97 (when i started) :P
BLACK LOTUS DONATIONS NEEDED!

CURRENT COUNT: 0

Giediprime41
Librarities Legend

Post by Giediprime41 » Wed Aug 04, 2004 9:25 am

to add to your pain, hehe, i was a sophomore in high school in '97 (when i started) :P
MAN!!, :o
'97 is almost my 10th year reunion. Class of '89!!
Yep!!, old. >:(
Darren
I have enough cards to stack them all up, and commit suicide off the top!

Giediprime41
Librarities Legend

Post by Giediprime41 » Wed Aug 04, 2004 10:32 am

This question is a story question. ;D
Like others i first got the "fantasy bug" back in '79-'80.
I lived in Milwaukee, Wis. and was introduced to D&D and AD&D by a classmate/friend.  His brother was a playtester for Gary Gygax and Dave Arneson, later he gave me his brown pamphlets.(another story) ;D
He (my friends brother) got me hooked on GenCon.  I went to GenCon for years, them i moved away.
I lost interest in RPGs for awhile.  You know, music, girls, peer pressure, etc... ;)
Well, i got hooked again when i met a guy that owned a comic shop here in Tampa.  This was in '93, he and i went to a DragonCon here in FL. and we saw Beta and A.N. being played and traded. We also saw Unlimited, beta packs. So we bought a couple of each. (not many left) :(  
I was hooked big-time!! Later that year i bought as many cards as i could get.  Back in those days Magic was hard to come by!
At first i never traded my cards, i was scared of getting "raped". :-[(as Mike "Mintcollector" puts it)
So i also "went by the guide" but it was Duelist magazine, not Scrye.  
Then right around Revised a friend sold me his collection for $100.00 dollars. He was more interested in drugs than cards. :'(  So i bought them.
There was hundreds of dollars worth of cards there!! :o (today, thousands worth)
That's when i started collecting, and i've been collecting ever since. :)
Darren  
I have enough cards to stack them all up, and commit suicide off the top!