how did you get introduced to mtg?

Moderators: cataclysm80, hammr7, l0qii, Apocalypse2K, berkumps, dragsamou, mystical_tutor, pp

Thrond
Librarities Legend

Re: how did you get introduced to mtg?

Post by Thrond » Wed Aug 04, 2004 10:38 am

It's so old I can't remember exactly... all I remember is that it was in 1994, I was 14, and my first rares were a The Dark Leviathan and a French 3rd BB Gaea's Liege...
::)

Giediprime41
Librarities Legend

Post by Giediprime41 » Wed Aug 04, 2004 11:01 am

Oh God am I starting to feel old, reading all these people starting the game while in grade or junior school   ;D

As per giediprime41 below me, Class of '88.
WOW!! :o
Your old!! ;D
Join the club.
I think we are "still spring chickens" for some members though. ;)
Darren
I have enough cards to stack them all up, and commit suicide off the top!

bigfatkitty
Legendary Overweight Cat Warrior

Post by bigfatkitty » Wed Aug 04, 2004 4:12 pm

WOW!! :o
Your old!! ;D
Join the club.
I think we are "still spring chickens" for some members though. ;)
Darren
I guess being in the class of '87 would qualify me as old.  Remember this was and always will be a drinking game to me.   8)
Solitary Member of Dragsamou's 'Dirty Frenchie' Fan Club.
Worshiped by all Netherlandians.

Celebrindor

Post by Celebrindor » Wed Aug 04, 2004 4:45 pm

You guys are lucky that you are older.  I wish I was older when magic came out, i would have actually had some money to buy alpha and beta in packs.

misterpid
Legendary World's Toughest Milkman

Post by misterpid » Wed Aug 04, 2004 4:48 pm

I'm also class of 87.

I saw some friends playing Magic around Thanksgiving 1993 when I was visiting Syracuse.  I didn't find a store near me that sold cards until around the time Legends and the Dark came out (Legends was $10 a pack the first time I saw them).  

I talked my brother into learning the game.  He and I went to a convention in the Spring of 94.  He was so turned off by most of the players there that he gave me all of his cards - all Revised.

I remember a dealer at that convention selling Arabian Nights packs for $7 and Antiquities for $4.  I thought to myself - why would anyone pay that much, especially when you can get all the Dark packs you want at $2 each.   oops.
Always looking for:
Legends Presence of the Master (English or Italian)
Dark Sorrow's Path (English or Italian)
Non-English Contract From Below.

victorcamp
Librarities Legend

Post by victorcamp » Wed Aug 04, 2004 5:54 pm

As far as I'm concerned, I'm only a late Summer chicken! ;D

I started playing AD&D in '82, introduced by my good and longtime friend, Burl Zorn (Academy Researcher, right), now at Source Comics and Games (http://sourcecandg.com/). He DM'd the games for many years (still does), but I faded away from that in the later 80's in favor of board games (various railroad, Civilization, Axis & Allies, etc.). He still has my character sheets, so it's neat to know I can return as Wyndom whenever I want.

Anyway, 'long about 95/96 he introduced us to Magic. For several years I insisted on only playing friend's decks, knowing my penchant for sinking into heavy collecting. Finally, one Christmas, I was given some boosters, and the rest is history; 55,000 cards' worth of history. :D

BTW, I'm class of '67 8)

next-death

Post by next-death » Thu Aug 05, 2004 1:58 am

i didn't get started until merc mask or so and i got pulled in from playing pokemon - i know but my brother was one of the best at the damn game and i was drawn into it since a pokemon report got ma an A+ in my japanese class at the time - well there is my 2 cents on how i got pulled in

kitzune
Librarities Member

Post by kitzune » Thu Aug 05, 2004 5:19 pm

My first taste of MtG was back in '95/'96.  New academic year, new friends, and I'd found one who was just as mad about comics, manga and anime as I was.  

This said friend was also mad about this interesting game called Magic, so my early Christmas present for that year was a Magic starter :)   I drew a Serra Angel and a Balance from that and hey presto, the addiction spread!

Gryfalia
Legendary Epic Store Owner

Post by Gryfalia » Thu Aug 05, 2004 6:18 pm

I was living in Toledo (Ohio) when someone who went to college with me started playing (she was in the gaming industry).  That was Beta basically.  She got the rest of my friends in the Chicago area started and then one of them (the famous Paul Waterman of the 'Infinite Auction' way back in the day of Usenet - the worlds first automated auction) told me about it and told me to look it up.  Well, finding it (Unlimited at the time) was a bit hard, but I finally did and taught myself using the rule book..

Don't skip the part about the 'untap' phase, because the game is real slow if you do, and Serra is BROKEN.

Managed to pick up more UL and Arabians and started from there, eventually moving back to civilization (Chicago) and played a LOT more, became a high level judge, blah blah blah...

Gryfalia
He's just this guy, ya know?

silver.paladin
Librarities Legend

Post by silver.paladin » Fri Aug 06, 2004 4:24 am

BTW, I'm class of '67 8)
Ahh, nice.  There I was thinking I was so old with others getting into the game while they were in grade/middle/junior school, and now I see I am young, with Victors class being before I was even a thought in the 'oven'   :D   ;D
Oct 30, away until further notice

bigfatkitty
Legendary Overweight Cat Warrior

Post by bigfatkitty » Fri Aug 06, 2004 1:47 pm

I'm still waiting to hear how Alexis got into this since he doesn't even play.  (The French are very strange.)
Solitary Member of Dragsamou's 'Dirty Frenchie' Fan Club.
Worshiped by all Netherlandians.

dragsamou
Administrator

Post by dragsamou » Fri Aug 06, 2004 2:45 pm

I'm still waiting to hear how Alexis got into this since he doesn't even play.  (The French are very strange.)
Hi Bruce.
This is the Story :)
While I was working,I read an article in a Fashion Magazine about MTG,as an old D&D Player,I freaked out when I saw it  :o.Then,when,I was in Vacation in Miami,
I managed to buy at First 2 Boosters Boxes of Arabian Nights and few Boosters from a Company called TNT.
Then from year to year,bought a LOT of Boosters Boxes,Full Sets,etc...Up to Exodus.
I have to say that Arabian Nights,is still my Favourite Set
used to have 7 Mints one,3 NM,and still buy an Extra or 2 per year  ;D
The Most Stupid thing that I do as a Collector,was to get my Beta in these last 4 years,when I could get them
from the beginning at the Very cheap prices and even after,it's like yesterday,I remember my friend offering me a Full Set of P9 NM+/Mint for 2000 Francs which was at that time 200$(1$ was 10 Francs) and I told him,I will get them later :-X :'(
Want/Have Lists.
viewtopic.php?f=8&t=8903
viewtopic.php?f=7&t=1515
I Love you Dad.R.I.P.