Do any of us have real jobs?

Moderators: cataclysm80, hammr7, l0qii, Apocalypse2K, berkumps, dragsamou, mystical_tutor, pp

bigfatkitty
Legendary Overweight Cat Warrior

Do any of us have real jobs?

Post by bigfatkitty » Fri Dec 12, 2003 9:09 pm

It seems very strange that no matter when I come to this site at any time of the day, I see the usual suspects hanging around.  What do you people do for a living?  I can't be the only one with no boss hanging over their shoulder.
Solitary Member of Dragsamou's 'Dirty Frenchie' Fan Club.
Worshiped by all Netherlandians.

AXIOS
Legendary Fungusaur Collector

Re: Do any of us have real jobs?

Post by AXIOS » Fri Dec 12, 2003 9:21 pm

people here are from all over the world and live in different time zones.

i am a driving instructor!
Fungusaur legend
find me on facebook: nico jongsma
into all kind of fungusaurs and bog wraiths, especially foreign, misprinted

TerraFrost
Legendary Creature For Hire

Post by TerraFrost » Fri Dec 12, 2003 9:24 pm

i am a full time college student working (now) as a lowly cashier at some computer store.  that would probably explain my huge mtg budget :)
BLACK LOTUS DONATIONS NEEDED!

CURRENT COUNT: 0

fvzappa
Legendary Alpha Playtest Decks Owner

Post by fvzappa » Fri Dec 12, 2003 9:41 pm

Architecture. I design houses for the insanely rich.

dry cereal
Legendary Part of a Complete Breakfast

Post by dry cereal » Fri Dec 12, 2003 10:00 pm

I'm a student.  I am currently involved in setting up seminar equipment for an improvisational dance professor, delivering food for a local deli on weekends, and getting my Kaplan training.  I am also trying to get my support group facilitator training and take a literacy program so I can teach my adult friend to read.  That's why I avoid all my work all day.  
jk  ;)

Ben
I can't believe I ate the whole thing

mintcollector
Librarities Legend

Post by mintcollector » Fri Dec 12, 2003 10:02 pm

I am a Senior Systems Programmer for Walgreens, which is the biggest pharmacy chain here in the US for our overseas friends who probably have not heard of the company.  I am online throughout the workday.  I oversee a lot of our infrastructure and as I tend to have automated things running I wrote which require my intervention from time, I have time throughout my workday the browse around online.  A lot of time I spend in support of our distribution systems across our satellite uplinks.  I have made a lot of things macro'd at work that has actually allowed the company to free up some job positions in various support groups that look to me as their developer.  I have also automated large facets of my job.  Did I document any of this?  Heck no.  I have been asked many times to, and have put out little docs to placate management here and there, but they would be really dead in the water if I left, and I think they know it because I refuse to divulge everything.  I have made myself indispensable and have gotten quite cocky.  As a result, I hit this site many times throughout the day.  Also Ralph calls me at work periodically to check up on some things.  Even though I spend much time online, my work output exceeds some teams full of programmers.  As a result, as long as I keep up productive output, my boss leaves me be.  I still get between 8-10% raises annually as well as some of the work I do save the company 10's of millions and sometimes 100's of millions a year.  I also dictate a lot of system architecture policy and procedures for our company.

My wife also works here.  We also make quite a bit of money between the 2 of us which thankfully allows me to buy a lot of gmaing stuff.  My wife let's me buy what I want as long as I pay the bills and set some money aside for retirement.  

Gryfalia
Legendary Epic Store Owner

Post by Gryfalia » Fri Dec 12, 2003 10:12 pm

I work for State Farm Insurance, biggest Property/Casualty insurer in the US, and, I think, the world.

I work in Marketing.  Specifically, I decide whose mailbox to carpet bomb with mailings..mwahaha.. Well, technically, someone else decides what type of people, I just pull your names out of our files.  Unless you aren't already insured by State Farm, in which case it's someone else's fault..

Gryfalia

PS - the reason I have time to post/read is because I fire off large queries and sit around waiting for them to end.  Plus I'm a slacker..
He's just this guy, ya know?

bigfatkitty
Legendary Overweight Cat Warrior

Post by bigfatkitty » Fri Dec 12, 2003 10:13 pm

What an interesting group we have.

I'm a Land Director for a Home Builder who builds homes for the insanely poor or moderately not quite poor.

No one in my company has any concept of what I do, so they can't tell if I'm screwing around or not.
Solitary Member of Dragsamou's 'Dirty Frenchie' Fan Club.
Worshiped by all Netherlandians.

Erl00
Librarities Legend

Post by Erl00 » Fri Dec 12, 2003 10:57 pm

I am a Manager in a Strategy Consulting Firm.

I work approximately 60 hours a week with a good internet connection, this is why I'm constantly connected there :)

Today is Friday so I leave early. 8pm is late enough. See you guys! (I will probably connect when I'm back home because I have plenty of MtG searchs to do).

:)
Eric.
Please help me finish my Boosters collection

sylvanstu
Librarities Legend

Post by sylvanstu » Fri Dec 12, 2003 11:17 pm

I'm a union sheet metal worker. My work has lots of different types of work with in the union. I've done everything from installing and balancing the heating and air in high rises downtown Chicago and Atlanta ( for 3 years) to puting metal roofs on big buildings at Great Lakes Naval Base to what I do now. I instal comercial Kitchens. Like in Resteraunts, Schools, and hospitals. They are all in the same union and I enjoy changeing what I do and my pay stays the same with about a 1.00 raise on the check every June. Times are really bad here in Chicago for the last 3 years and my work has been feast or famine.but 2004 looks really busy for me with all the work we have comming up on the books.plus the company I work for has told me they are going to make me superintendant of field work real soon as our super is going to the office for good soon.
Collector of one of each Armageddon printed.

mahdishain
Librarities Legend

Post by mahdishain » Fri Dec 12, 2003 11:55 pm

i manage a domino's pizza store in the evenings leaving me all day and overnight to keep up. i am poor but have no wife so i get to spend my money as i please. i also so have a son who goads me into buying even more magic.
practice peace

mintcollector
Librarities Legend

Post by mintcollector » Sat Dec 13, 2003 1:26 am

I work for State Farm Insurance, biggest Property/Casualty insurer in the US, and, I think, the world.

I work in Marketing.  Specifically, I decide whose mailbox to carpet bomb with mailings..mwahaha.. Well, technically, someone else decides what type of people, I just pull your names out of our files.  Unless you aren't already insured by State Farm, in which case it's someone else's fault..

Gryfalia

PS - the reason I have time to post/read is because I fire off large queries and sit around waiting for them to end.  Plus I'm a slacker..
I just add mailings of your type to my spam filters.

Tenacious_Dyl
Librarities Legend

Post by Tenacious_Dyl » Sat Dec 13, 2003 1:44 am

I am a student (in Highschool... imagine that.. 10th grade actually). Now do not treat me 'young' now ;-) hehe.

I am also a trained "Stage Technician". I do every work and am trained in most fields. I have worked many shows, including: Musicals, Plays, Fundraisers, Weight Lifting Competitions, Choir Performances, Band Performances, and more.

I do pretty much anything a Stage Technician would. I have ran curtains, I have done rigging, I have been trained on Sound and Lighting boards, and I have been Stage Manager. It is quite fun and creative work.

After I graduate from highschool, I plan on attending M.I.T., and working in an aeronautical field (no, not related to stage work, that is more of a hobby than job...).

What does Dragsamou do? ... ;-)

Gryfalia
Legendary Epic Store Owner

Post by Gryfalia » Sat Dec 13, 2003 1:53 am

I just add mailings of your type to my spam filters.
You have a Spam filter on your Mailbox?  Impressive, tell me how you do it..;-)

State Farm proper doesn't screw around with email advertising, because it's weak and worthless..hehe.

Some agents may do it on their own, but not 'us'.

And I sit RIGHT next to the guy who processes our 'do not solicit' requests, and he's my hero, because I hate direct marketing in general...

Gryfalia
He's just this guy, ya know?

Cizzio

Post by Cizzio » Sat Dec 13, 2003 2:10 am

Architecture. I design houses for the insanely rich.
Cool thats my dreamwork that I will never get! In sweden u have to have your grades from school at 19+ where 20 is the most, to get into the right education. And I'm an avarage guy at 13,5...

Well im 22 years and have been working 2-3 years as an gardener (if thats the word im searching) well i cut the grass and bushes, changes broken lamps, picking garbage from the streets and so on.. hehe.

I'm certenly not rich at all, I have 11k SEK a month after the taxes. Thats 1400 $. But all the money I can spare (usualy around 140$) goes into magic. It goes forward, but not as quick as I want to get my collection done. hehe