rules meeting

Everything else about the website.

Moderators: cataclysm80, hammr7, l0qii, Apocalypse2K, berkumps, dragsamou, mystical_tutor, pp

mahdishain
Librarities Legend

rules meeting

Post by mahdishain » Fri Oct 12, 2007 4:19 pm

moderators

I can appreciate the efforts that you are going through to help make the forums run as smoothly as possible. My concern is that in imposing rules to eliminate behavior that bothers you that you may chase away new members who have the potential to contribute to the site in a positive manner. Take self promotion, for example. I understand that some people appear on the forum only to promote their own auctions in order to make money. While this is irritating and may run against your concept of the purpose of the website, is it actually harmful? Is it possibe that a person who comes here to profit may stick around and become long term valuable asset to the community? I do not feel that there is a need to restrict these kinds of posts. If their only reason to be here is to make money and it doesn't work they will go away. If it does work, they must be contributing to someone's vision of the value of the site, even if it is not your vision. Did the censoring of the Eterm improve the site or did it just make people less likely to come back. I understand that you are dealing with more issues than just self promotion but my concern can be applied to other issues as well. The crux of my concern is, is it better to be exclusive and focus the site on a single vision or inclusive and gain access to greater resources to improve the site. Think about it.

Practice Peace

pp
Legendary Complete Set Collector

Post by pp » Fri Oct 12, 2007 4:26 pm

Hi mahdishain,

We are discussing exactly these rules between mods at the moment - and because there are different views it needs some time to elaborate.
Be patient and I'm sure we will find a solution that is suitable for all members and will help to keep a strong and peaceful community on this place.

;)

Patrick

dragsamou
Administrator

Re: rules meeting

Post by dragsamou » Fri Oct 12, 2007 5:30 pm

mahdishain wrote:moderators

I can appreciate the efforts that you are going through to help make the forums run as smoothly as possible. My concern is that in imposing rules to eliminate behavior that bothers you that you may chase away new members who have the potential to contribute to the site in a positive manner. Take self promotion, for example. I understand that some people appear on the forum only to promote their own auctions in order to make money. While this is irritating and may run against your concept of the purpose of the website, is it actually harmful? Is it possibe that a person who comes here to profit may stick around and become long term valuable asset to the community? I do not feel that there is a need to restrict these kinds of posts. If their only reason to be here is to make money and it doesn't work they will go away. If it does work, they must be contributing to someone's vision of the value of the site, even if it is not your vision. Did the censoring of the Eterm improve the site or did it just make people less likely to come back. I understand that you are dealing with more issues than just self promotion but my concern can be applied to other issues as well. The crux of my concern is, is it better to be exclusive and focus the site on a single vision or inclusive and gain access to greater resources to improve the site. Think about it.

Practice Peace
Hi Mahdishain.
Well,this post makes me wonder,if I should not make this website a Commercial one,and make money out of so many things.I don't need money,but why not,I have no problems with it,shame that I have refuse already 3 MTG companies offering me money to add banners and links,and the mentioning of Magic-belgium about subscription to get in,is maybe not so bad after all,getting a percentage on sales that occurs on the website,and money from people to have a Seller binder on this forum,to advertise theirs auctions sites,etc...I will think seriously about it.
Last edited by dragsamou on Sat Oct 13, 2007 6:11 am, edited 1 time in total.
Want/Have Lists.
viewtopic.php?f=8&t=8903
viewtopic.php?f=7&t=1515
I Love you Dad.R.I.P.

Volcanon
Legendary Snooty Caller

Post by Volcanon » Fri Oct 12, 2007 5:39 pm

I would rather have advertisement banners than a fee on sales here. Sales would probably just migrate over to mtgs or motl.

magic-belgium
Librarities Legend

Post by magic-belgium » Fri Oct 12, 2007 7:13 pm

Hello !

My main concern about auction sites listings here is that I was reading them too late !

Most of the time, posters of such links are very helpful (if only I could have seen Ben Bleiweiss for the APs collection).

Magiclibrarities is far more than a "fansite". It supplies VERY GOOD SCANS that can be very helpful for one's personal use or for listing or in order to see small details on the site.

It provides important information for the collectors that we are. However, a website like this costs in hosting. It is normal, in my opinion that a compensation should be asked to the users. Either in work or money. A sort of wikipedia for magic collectors that we are.

Regarding self promotion, I think that one user who does that continually and the postings are not relevant here, will stop simply because nothing will happen.

Another idea (technically difficult to develop) is to add an option like we can find on other sites : Did you find this post helpful ? Yes / No

If one users has to many "Nos", he is informed that his posts may not be validated in the future if it is only self advertising.

Just adding my 10 cts here.

P.S. : Baybay and Paypal fees are so high already that adding another fee would kill the final price I think. But a small annual fee could be a good idea. With levels : forum user, seller...

mahdishain
Librarities Legend

Re: rules meeting

Post by mahdishain » Sat Oct 13, 2007 8:43 am

dragsamou wrote:
mahdishain wrote:moderators

Practice Peace
Hi Mahdishain.
Well,this post makes me wonder,if I should not make this website a Commercial one,and make money out of so many things.I don't need money,but why not,I have no problems with it,shame that I have refuse already 3 MTG companies offering me money to add banners and links,and the mentioning of Magic-belgium about subscription to get in,is maybe not so bad after all,getting a percentage on sales that occurs on the website,and money from people to have a Seller binder on this forum,to advertise theirs auctions sites,etc...I will think seriously about it.
dragsamou

please understand that i appreciate that this site is advertisement free. if my comments drive you toward commercialization i have made a big mistake. i was simply trying to voice an opinion in favor of erring on the side of inclusion.

mahdishain
Librarities Legend

Post by mahdishain » Sat Oct 13, 2007 8:46 am

magic-belgium wrote:

Most of the time, posters of such links are very helpful (if only I could have seen Ben Bleiweiss for the APs collection).
fortunately for me you missed it.