The Library

Everything else about the website.

Moderators: cataclysm80, hammr7, l0qii, Apocalypse2K, berkumps, dragsamou, mystical_tutor, pp

chaosdjinn
Legendary Lurker

The Library

Post by chaosdjinn » Tue Jan 10, 2012 9:58 pm

Hi- Was wondering if anyone has heard from Alexis. I sent him a pm a few weeks ago and he has yet to respond.

On a similar, but hopefully unrelated note, who is now updating the lists of promos and their pictures. It seems we are a bit out of date as I know there are more promos than listed.
Hope all is well,
Matt

Ertai's Familiar
Librarities Legend

Post by Ertai's Familiar » Tue Jan 10, 2012 10:05 pm

I too am a little worried. I have heard people talk of accounts not getting approved for quite a while. He seems to be MIA.
squt: Sweet! That's the best trade - one that doesn't cost a thing.

pickle.69: NO DRINK ON THE FUCKING TABLE

chaosdjinn
Legendary Lurker

Post by chaosdjinn » Tue Jan 10, 2012 10:19 pm

Ertai's Familiar wrote:I too am a little worried. I have heard people talk of accounts not getting approved for quite a while. He seems to be MIA.
Anyone have his phone number and can give him a call to make sure he's ok?

Just checked to see his last post- it was on June 22, 2011.

mystical_tutor
Legendary Old Fart Magic Player

Post by mystical_tutor » Wed Jan 11, 2012 1:35 am

chaosdjinn wrote:
Ertai's Familiar wrote:I too am a little worried. I have heard people talk of accounts not getting approved for quite a while. He seems to be MIA.
Anyone have his phone number and can give him a call to make sure he's ok?

Just checked to see his last post- it was on June 22, 2011.
Ya, I'm worried about him too. Have tried to contact him by PM and email but have not gotten any responses.

Gary

Ertai's Familiar
Librarities Legend

Post by Ertai's Familiar » Wed Jan 11, 2012 3:10 am

I wish the best for him and I do not mean to overreact but do we have a contingency plan for data mining the site if we lose hosting? I would hate to see all this information lost.

8-[
squt: Sweet! That's the best trade - one that doesn't cost a thing.

pickle.69: NO DRINK ON THE FUCKING TABLE

chaosdjinn
Legendary Lurker

Post by chaosdjinn » Wed Jan 11, 2012 3:55 am

Ertai's Familiar wrote:I wish the best for him and I do not mean to overreact but do we have a contingency plan for data mining the site if we lose hosting? I would hate to see all this information lost.

8-[
Good question. Either he's on a 6 month bender in Gay Pari' or something ugly happened. I hope he is ok.

mystical_tutor

Post by mystical_tutor » Wed Jan 11, 2012 4:53 am

Ertai's Familiar wrote: I would hate to see all this information lost.
I get ill if I think about that. So I don't. I'd do just about anything to keep that from happening but I don't know what needs to be done.

Gary

l0qii
Legendary Unfindable Title Moderator

Post by l0qii » Wed Jan 11, 2012 6:26 am

As long as updates keep happening I assume he is in part responsible. In the past he has been very slow to answer messages but during that time it was indeed him who was doing the updates. He is also the only one who can (sporadically) approve new accounts.

That said, I have not heard from him in several months either.

pickle.69
Legendary Shivan Dragon Master

Post by pickle.69 » Wed Jan 11, 2012 10:28 am

I very often get request to activate accounts and always forward them to him, evry once in a while I also get an answer hoping that the members can join the community.
In the last email i recived Alexis said he will have much more time soon.
Collections needing help
Shivan Dragons http://beam.to/shivandragon
Alpha Dwarven Demo Team h: 5%
http://www.magiclibrarities.net/forum/v ... 9506#29506

aleksandr
Librarities Legend

Post by aleksandr » Fri Jan 20, 2012 4:29 pm

If there is ever a need for a hosting contingency plan, let me know. I own my own server and could easily handle the data and traffic for the site. Hopefully that won't need to happen, but in the event of a catastrophe, I would be happy to help.

hammr7
Librarities Legend

Post by hammr7 » Sun Jan 22, 2012 6:42 pm

Years ago, when Ralph Herold began planning a succession / exit strategy, he developed a multi-stage "Moderator" test for possible replacements. I was the only one to make it through, and for a time in 2005 and 2006 acted as a Moderator for this site. During my time as Moderator, Ralph and I discussed the future of the site in great detail. We clashed on our visions for where our resources should be focused, and where site expansion efforts should be concentrated, but we agreed completely that active and continuous management was critical.

Prior to Ralph actually giving up the site, a combination of family, work, and personal health issues overwhelmed my time. In deference to the need for active site management and interaction, Ralph and I agreed that someone other than me, who could commit at a level I couldn't (at least at the time) should get involved.

Ultimately that person was Alexis. It was my understanding that Ralph transferred this site to Alexis because Alexis promised to maintain a very active role in site management and development.

When Alexis is around, he is actively involved. He has expended a great deal of time and energy (and probably money) into this site. And while his efforts have been tangential to what I would have wanted to accomplish, that is his prerogative. The Magic Librarities site was, and is, his site.

And I completely understand the sabbatical(s) he took back in 2008 and 2009 as a result of the personal tragedies in his life. At times, we all encounter "Life" getting in the way of things we want to do. As noted above, I stepped aside because "Life" happened to me when I was the site Moderator.

But this site does need more active involvement to retain its energy, and it position as a premier resource for MTG. I hope Alexis is well. I hope he still considers this site a joy and not a burden. I hope he still plans on site expansion and not just site maintenance. But I think he needs to be more forthcoming with both his short term expectations and his longer, strategic view, for this site. There are so many ways we might help this site grow. However, as mere members in the current environment we are powerless.

When you are the sole site Administrator and are also not available, it makes growth and improvement very tough.

random
Librarities Legend

Post by random » Mon Jan 23, 2012 5:26 am

If hammr7 speaks like this all the time in person he should get into politics;)

mystical_tutor

Post by mystical_tutor » Tue Jan 24, 2012 2:45 am

He is isn't he?
Gary Adkison
Father of a former Wizards of the Coast janitor.

Knowledge is proud because it thinks it knows so much; wisdom is humble because it realizes it knows so little.

hammr7
Librarities Legend

Post by hammr7 » Mon Jan 30, 2012 5:53 am

random wrote:If hammr7 speaks like this all the time in person he should get into politics;)
I am not a politician, but I have toyed with the idea. The two things that always stopped me were:

1. Loss of privacy. Who wants to be a public figure? Certainly not me.

2. If I were really successful at politics, wondering what my "price" might be. I look at the current US Republican primary battle, and see all these flawed individuals twisting themselves in such knots, as they serve their puppet masters and try to conform to what they think their electorate wants. They can't be acting that confused out of deep personal conviction (except maybe Ron Paul). It must be that their price has been met.

pp
Legendary Complete Set Collector

Post by pp » Mon Jan 30, 2012 9:12 am

You are a wise man