Idea: The 'Dealing with Artists' thread?

Moderators: cataclysm80, hammr7, l0qii, Apocalypse2K, berkumps, dragsamou, mystical_tutor, pp

mahdishain
Librarities Legend

Re: Idea: The 'Dealing with Artists' thread?

Post by mahdishain » Mon Feb 07, 2005 10:18 pm

3) Some interest to add additional information regarding artists (prices of APs, prices of sketches, original art still available, etc.)
-> I think this is interesting though it must remain relatively short. All information related to one artist cannot be captured easily. Take Dan Frazier for example, it's impossible to tell all the original still up for sale, their price, the price and availability of APs, etc.
I think however that just letting people know if the artist is opened to sketch APs, to sell originals, etc. is intereting and should be mentioned.
i think if good artist contact information was collected with email and website links this kind of information would be readily available to anyone interested without cluttering up the thread.
practice peace

Erl00
Librarities Legend

Post by Erl00 » Tue Feb 08, 2005 3:13 am

i think if good artist contact information was collected with email and website links this kind of information would be readily available to anyone interested without cluttering up the thread.
Sure, that's what I thought too.
Maybe some very specific practices should be mentioned though ... E.g. Will not make a skecth on an AP for less than $75 and will not ship abroad (Ed. Beard Jr.)

Regards,
Eric.
Please help me finish my Boosters collection

Mike_Bartley

Post by Mike_Bartley » Tue Apr 05, 2005 10:04 pm

Last year at Gen Con, I purchased some really "killer" artist proof original drawings that I commissioned Ed Beard to do.  One thing for sure, when you buy an Ed Beard artist proof with a drawing you are not buying a "sketch".  This artist puts more detail on the back of an artist proof card drawing than I see in most fully painted finished pieces.

About 6 months ago I sold one of the artist proof drawings on the back of a Goblin Pyromancer on eBay for $185.00.  I paid Ed Beard $80.00 which was his retail price for buying just one artist proof with a drawing.  So you know what I did, I took the profit and then commissioned him to do another piece at no cost to me.

Basically you can't compare Ed Beard's artist proof drawings with any other artist with the exception of possibly two who which I have seen examples of on this Netherland's website.  But according to the owner, he paid a lot more than $80.00.

As  a collector I think of Ed's highly detailed, fully rendered art on the back of these APs as equivalent to a Faberge Egg.  Judge for yourself and check out these links.

http://www.enchantedrealmstudio.com/mag ... ktchLG.jpg

http://www.verwijlen.nl/

at the "verwijlen" site, click on the Angel Gallery and the Dragon Gallery and click on B for Ed Beard to judge for yourself in the difference in overall quality.

I think if you are looking for top-shelf and something worthy of framing, then go to Ed Beard.  

If you are looking for a real quick 5 minute sketch for $10.00 or so you can find that at any show.

-Mike