an unexpected change

Moderators: cataclysm80, hammr7, l0qii, Apocalypse2K, berkumps, dragsamou, mystical_tutor, pp

Ralph Herold
Legendary Magic Library Administrator

an unexpected change

Post by Ralph Herold » Thu Jun 30, 2005 5:15 am

Dear members,

Many of you have surely tried to reach the Magic Library forum in vain for two days are surprised to have arrived here finally. Here is what happened:

The bad part:
On the 28th of June, I received an email from my webspace provider who notified me that the YaBB software data files had become too numerous and were thus causing too much stress to the shared server this website is hosted on. As a consequence, he switched off the software immediately (!) and suggested I should switch to another forum software using a database architecture.

The good part:
After the incident, I started to search for another forum software and found this one called phpBB2. It is based upon PHP and MySQLm, should be more stable than the other one, and even has a few more features, some of which have been desired by a few members. During the last two days, I have installed it, configured it, and fine-tuned it. In addition, due to unexpected help by an employee of my webspace provider, I have been able to transfer all the data from the old forum software to this one. You will have to check your profile for some fixes, but at least no data seems to have been lost. Members who had changed their name later on are currently registered with the original member name. Name changed can only be done by me, so just contact me.

Have fun with the new forum software and reort errors, as usual!
Last edited by Ralph Herold on Mon Oct 31, 2005 4:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Erl00
Librarities Legend

Post by Erl00 » Thu Jun 30, 2005 9:11 am

Hi Ralph!

Well, this new forum looks nice, so I'm sure we'll easily get used to it.
And thanks for the great job and for offering an up and running forum again in a limted time =D>

A couple of very minor things :
- Please do something for Merfolkguy's Avatar : Way too huge and distorting the threads in which he has posted. EDIT : This is also true for other members ... (fvzappa, etc.)
- Some smileys are missing and now appear in the texts as BBCode, example : :-&
- There is no indication when a post has been edited (I am, for instance, currently editing this post). This feature is however sometimes useful to follow a discussion

Take care,
Eric.
Please help me finish my Boosters collection

dragsamou
Administrator

Post by dragsamou » Thu Jun 30, 2005 9:19 am

Hi Ralph.
The Link from the Magic Library Main Page to the the Forum doesn't work.
EDIT:Working Now.
No Members have a Rank.
No Messages in Save Box.
The time now is 30 Jun 2005 11:04.2 Hours Difference With Paris,it's 13:04
Last edited by dragsamou on Thu Jun 30, 2005 12:06 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Want/Have Lists.
viewtopic.php?f=8&t=8903
viewtopic.php?f=7&t=1515
I Love you Dad.R.I.P.

GraueEminenz
Librarities Legend

Post by GraueEminenz » Thu Jun 30, 2005 9:28 am

Great Job, Ralph !
But :wink: I'm missing my archived private Mails, now called Savebox
Greetings
Jan

BTW: I like my huge Avatar, Eric 8)

Jess
Legendary Wet Dreams Tokens Creator

Post by Jess » Thu Jun 30, 2005 12:02 pm

Nice job, Ralph.

Be warned, though, that PhBB forums have been known in the past for being targeted by hackers as there seem to be a few security issues.

That's the reason why many websites have switched to other less popular yet less hack-able forum softwares.
Artist for Neo-Token.

Ralph Herold

Post by Ralph Herold » Thu Jun 30, 2005 3:15 pm

Thank you for the praise! The timing of this incident was very bad, as I really have to care about my exams. Here are a few comments:

huge avatars:
This forum software does not resize avatars as the old one did. I have set the maximum size of avatars to 100x100 pixels, but apparently this restriction does not work for already linked avatars. I have resized the avatars I was hosting, but I will have to ask everybody with a huge avatar to resize it.

missing smilies:
The old smilies are partially incompatible with the new smilies and I can not fix this. Any text using the new smilies will be fine.

edited posts:
This is indeed handled differently on this board, and I can not change it. Editing text is not marked. If you edit the text, you will have to explicitly state it in your post. I could look for a mod which changes this, but at the moment this software is mod-free (and still seems to have all the features of the modified old forum plus a few more), and if I can keep it this way, it will be better.

missing rank:
With this software, I can freely define ranks and even assign special ranks. In order to follow an old request, I have removed any post-related ranks to decrease the importance of the post counter (which I can not disable).

missing personal messages:
I am very sorry, but all the data which has not been transferred is basically lost. I have kept a backup of the YaBB forum software, so in theory I could talk with my webspace provider to reinstall it for a limited amount of time, but I consider this only viable if you really have critical data you wish to restore.

time settings:
The forum is set to GMT+1, which is my time. You can adjust the time to your time zone in your profile.

AXIOS
Legendary Fungusaur Collector

Post by AXIOS » Thu Jun 30, 2005 4:27 pm

If i click on the forum link on the main page (http://www.magiclibrary.net/), i cannot reach the forums.
it says:

Not Found
The requested URL /cgi-bin/yabb/YaBB.pl was not found on this server.

Apache/1.3.27 Server at www.magiclibrary.net Port 80

and no more links to images are allowed in signature :(
Fungusaur legend
find me on facebook: nico jongsma
into all kind of fungusaurs and bog wraiths, especially foreign, misprinted

dragsamou
Administrator

Post by dragsamou » Thu Jun 30, 2005 4:30 pm

AXIOS wrote:If i click on the forum link on the main page (http://www.magiclibrary.net/), i cannot reach the forums.
it says:

Not Found
The requested URL /cgi-bin/yabb/YaBB.pl was not found on this server.

Apache/1.3.27 Server at www.magiclibrary.net Port 80

and no more links to images are allowed in signature :(
Hi Nico.
Same thing for me.Also,I just read your Post and it's still like a New one for me,after 3 readings.
EDIT:7 Readings and Still Orange.
Want/Have Lists.
viewtopic.php?f=8&t=8903
viewtopic.php?f=7&t=1515
I Love you Dad.R.I.P.

Ralph Herold

Post by Ralph Herold » Thu Jun 30, 2005 4:56 pm

broken link:
The link should be fine. Have you tried to clear your internet cache?

unread posts:
The feature which highlights new posts within threads and boards has not worked correctly the first time I entered the forum. Maybe the cookie needs more than one session to adapt? Please keep me updated on this.

It seems that must not use the "Back" button of your browser if you wish the post to be marked as read.

axios: I do not understand what exactly you mean when you say that you can not link to images in your signature. Please explain.

POST EDITED

dragsamou
Administrator

Post by dragsamou » Thu Jun 30, 2005 5:07 pm

Ralph Herold wrote:It seems that must not use the "Back" button of your browser if you wish the post to be marked as read.

POST EDITED
Hi Ralph.
For the moment,even if you do not used the Back Button,even if you exit the website and come back.the Topic already read is still in Orange.
Solution for the moment:Use the "Mark All the Topic Read"link on top right.
EDIT:This morning,All the New posts that was on the Forum weren't in Orange,but as "No New Posts",I just create a Post,and no Orange for it.
Last edited by dragsamou on Fri Jul 01, 2005 7:27 am, edited 1 time in total.
Want/Have Lists.
viewtopic.php?f=8&t=8903
viewtopic.php?f=7&t=1515
I Love you Dad.R.I.P.

AXIOS
Legendary Fungusaur Collector

Post by AXIOS » Thu Jun 30, 2005 5:50 pm

Ralph Herold wrote:broken link:

axios: I do not understand what exactly you mean when you say that you can not link to images in your signature. Please explain.

POST EDITED
Well,
i had a link to a smilie from terrafrost (the smilie with the "i am iluvatar_666" sign.)
When i logged in again (had some trouble logging in, password incorrect ???)
i saw that it showed the img code instead of the smilie

edit:
Also,
dry_cereals name is back to Flaming_gaytog ;)
Fungusaur legend
find me on facebook: nico jongsma
into all kind of fungusaurs and bog wraiths, especially foreign, misprinted

victorcamp
Librarities Legend

New Forum

Post by victorcamp » Fri Jul 01, 2005 3:55 am

Hi, Ralph,

So far it looks great! :D

I was worried when I couldn't get through to it. I know these things happen with servers, etc., and I think you did an excellent job of getting everything back up and running again.

I noticed it doesn't automatically carry over the current thread's topic in the Subject line. Is the thread's Topic different from the Subject line of the first post? Do we enter our own Subject with each successive Post? I'll probably get the hang of it after a few Posts.

Good job!

dragsamou
Administrator

Post by dragsamou » Fri Jul 01, 2005 7:23 am

bertrand2 wrote:I can't log in to my old user (bertrand) anymore. I got a new passowrd, and even that doesn't work. :(

Help!
Hi Bertrand.
You need to add your First E-Mail adress,get a New Password,than modify it in your Profile,to get back your Old password or a New one.Hope this help.
Want/Have Lists.
viewtopic.php?f=8&t=8903
viewtopic.php?f=7&t=1515
I Love you Dad.R.I.P.

pickle.69
Legendary Shivan Dragon Master

Post by pickle.69 » Fri Jul 01, 2005 10:09 am

HI
I liked the feature that you could see which titel the last post had and which where the last ten. Now you onyl see in which thread soemthing new was added.
Also I liked it to see in the same row with that how many PMs you currently have. But I guess I can get used to the new one. So no changes needed for me.
Funny is that Send PMes that I have deleted long ago suddendly are back in my out box.

What I dislike somehow is that the PMs are not in a row anymore but you have 20 on one page. That made browings throw them a lot esier. This would be another hopfully possible and small change I would Vote for to be done.

Otherwise thanks for the great Job and sad it had to come during preparations for your exams.

VIEL ERFOLG

richard
Last edited by pickle.69 on Fri Jul 01, 2005 6:24 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Ralph Herold

Post by Ralph Herold » Fri Jul 01, 2005 3:49 pm

More comments:

read and unread topic markings:
There is little I can do. Basically, this software sets a cookie on your PC and updates it every time new posts are written or your read them, just like the old software. It works on my system, and I can not simulate the problem. Do other members have problems as well?

images in signature
It is possible that I can solve this problem by activating the appropriate HTML tag for inserting images. I will give it a try.

incorrect passwords
It seems that the migration has not carried over the passwords. If you cannot log in, reset your password as already explained by dragsamou and you should be able to log in again. If you have nonetheless any problems, please contact me. I can reset your password. Please do not create new member accounts!

changed member names
Those of you who changed their members names, will have to log in using your original members names. If you wish to change your member name to the last one in use, please contact me.

topic line of successive posts
The topic line of successive posts is not carried over but left blank. I think this makes more sense anyway, but of course you can add something to give your post a title. Otherwise, just leave it blank.

missing features
I am not missing any features from the old forum, but everybody's handling of a software is different, so you might disagree. I suggest to start a new thread to list features you are missing from the old forum or want to have anyway. If enough members desire a specific function, I will look for a mod to add it.